Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Fantastic bassline , I had lessons for that and I found it very difficult, there’s some really tricky bits, I still play it now and again 🙂

A couple of the fills are really tricky, they are the two obvious ones. See how I go with those!!

• Like 1

The Status Quo back catalogue: 1970 - 1976!  :)  

Despite thinking I'd know a lot of their stuff I'm surprised by how little I really know of them.  TBH I'm not focusing on the first 2 albums as they are weird Beatles/late 60's meanderings but the rest of the stuff is great fun.  ;)  

Edited by warwickhunt
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

The Status Quo back catalogue: 1970 - 1976!  :)  

Despite thinking I'd know a lot of their stuff I'm surprised by how little I really know of them.  TBH I'm not focusing on the first 2 albums as they are weird Beatles/late 60's meanderings but the rest of the stuff is great fun.  ;)  

That's an odd choice unless you're a Quo fan or in a Quo tribute band. Some great songs to play live tho.

Dave

12 hours ago, andytoad said:

Having a go at some great (but some might say cheesy) tunes! Really enjoying working them out and in a few cases, trying to push my so called bass skills:

What a fool believes

Maybe I'm amazed 

Don't let the sun go down on me (EJ)

Burlesque (Family)

Forget me knotts

Sir Duke

Some great stuff there. If I ever attempted to play the line to Sir Duke, I'd feel heroic.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

Just now, jazzburger said:

Some great stuff there. If I ever attempted to play the line to Sir Duke, I'd feel heroic.  Enjoy!

I'm pretty messy are a part of the main head, but keep practicing, it can only get better.

• Like 1

Once we all feel safe to do it, a group of us are getting together in the office after work to jam/rehearse.  We have drums, bass, guitar, keys and sax.  No-one except the sax player and I want to play blues so we plan to start with Watermelon Man - basing it on one of the versions in the YouTube 'StudioJams" series.  Should be fun.  I'll probably end up practising this on two basses - my old Aria and the Ibanez short-scale that I hope will show up next week.

Edited by jazzburger
clumsy oaf
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nota song, but an exercise from the 'Dummies' series I found by accident:

image.png.1a7f64ae5d3afb3552d892b564c15112.png

Excellent for 1 finger per fret players, I went through each one as eight notes, 120bpm, starting on G. I did stop between each pattern 🙂

A bit like doing the independence exercises drummers do, it uncovers a few sequences not in your muscle memory.

Surprising which ones trip you up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing with a different group of people, so touching up on things I haven't played for a long time, plus a good 15 songs I haven't played before. Pinball wizzard, jailbreak, boys are back in town, sultans of swing, local boy in a photograph. All pretty easy but when you have to sing as well it becomes a lot harder.

• Like 1

I'm about to run through 'Black Velvet' - Alannah Myles.  

Nothing too tricky but a slight twist as I need to transpose it up to G#m rather than Em (D#m really as it is detuned a semitone).  I'm just going to have to work harder as I don't have the open strings to play with.  :)  

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Started playing with a different group of people, so touching up on things I haven't played for a long time, plus a good 15 songs I haven't played before. Pinball wizzard, jailbreak, boys are back in town, sultans of swing, local boy in a photograph. All pretty easy but when you have to sing as well it becomes a lot harder.

Jailbreak is easy to play but a bugger to sing and play due to the offbeat notes. I struggled with All these things Ive done by the Killers too. Dead easy to play but off beats make singing and playing really hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Jailbreak is easy to play but a bugger to sing and play due to the offbeat notes. I struggled with All these things Ive done by the Killers too. Dead easy to play but off beats make singing and playing really hard.

I am ok with that, it is just that where I would be normally happy to wing something, to be able to sing as well you have to realy know the singingor the bass, if at some point you have to think about either, the other one starts falling apart!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Only took  a couple of minutes looking at a tab (that misses out the shuffle rythym) then played through, but this is a great fun one I'd love to do live.

It's one we play and always goes down well.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 10:44, Stub Mandrel said:

Nota song, but an exercise from the 'Dummies' series I found by accident:

image.png.1a7f64ae5d3afb3552d892b564c15112.png

Excellent for 1 finger per fret players, I went through each one as eight notes, 120bpm, starting on G. I did stop between each pattern 🙂

A bit like doing the independence exercises drummers do, it uncovers a few sequences not in your muscle memory.

Surprising which ones trip you up.

Thanks for posting, just took a screenshot for practising.

• Like 1