Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

9 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I've been making myself play with a plectrum after 30+ years of fingers. I've never been able to get it sounding natural but I think I'm finally cracking it.

How Long Has This Been Going On by Ace was just playing on an advert, so I muted the TV and played along with it on Spotify a couple of times using an Encore P with flats and a pick. For once I felt locked in and fluid, actually sounded better than when I switched back to fingers. Not a hard song by any means, but one of those simple grooves that just works.

I've been trying to use a pick for occasional songs in our set but its weird that i can play across the strings on multiple fast notes but the bit i just can't get the hang off is playing broken 8ths on same note which is more about rhythmic feel / groove on my picking hand. Its not far away but just not good enough to play live. If i play the same part using my index finger like a pick i have no trouble at all. Its a weird one.

Song i'm struggling with is the prominent bass part in Ballroom Blitz by Sweet. Not a difficult song by any means.

Like you i started on pick when i took lessons for 18mths but once they stopped i changed to finger style approx 40+ yrs ago. I've been asked over the years usually by guitarists to use a pick for more attack. PAH !!!

Dave

51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If they "Want more attack" whack them over the head with your bass 🙂

Now i just tell them that i've been playing fingerstyle for 40+ yrs. Its how i play and if you want a pick style then best look for another bassist. Most bands have backed off when i say that. 

I have left a band who persisted with the pick thing even tho i grew my fingernails enough to catch the strings and give the exact same attack as a pick. The guitarist still wasn't satisfied so i left. 6 mths later they asked me to come back and complimented me by saying that my style was the thing that was missing with the replacement bass players they auditioned and tried out. I do play quite hard in rock bands and it comes across when playing within a band environment. It was a Friends of Deep Purple tribute. Shame cause i really enjoyed playing the songs.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, verb said:

I'm having a go at Fool for your Loving using Neil Murray's transcription. I may be a while.

I did it approx 10 yrs ago based on a music sheet i found on line and comparing with Neil's version it was pretty accurate.

From memory it did take me a little while but once i got the feel for it the only bits i then had to focus on were the little ad-lib runs he was putting in. I was so chuffed when i turned up at rehearsal and we played it as a band only for the guitarist to say he preferred the later version and i was out voted and ended up playing a version that was boring in comparison to Neils version.

No matter i was still really chuffed i had mastered it as close to Neil's version as i could get.

I'm recalling it as i write and another hard part was keeping it as naturally flowing like Neil was able to do.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm recalling it as i write and another hard part was keeping it as naturally flowing like Neil was able to do.

I'm not very far into it yet, it will take me a while.

Yes the fills and the fluidity are the sticky points.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, verb said:

I'm not very far into it yet, it will take me a while.

Yes the fills and the fluidity are the sticky points.

i practiced them at a slower speed and worked my way up. Its just a great song that pushes you a bit to do better i always think. Because of that bass line its "THE" classic rock song for me. Instantly recognisable from that keyboard start.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

Got distracted from what I am supposed to be doing into learning “Top of the pops” by the Rezillos instead. A cracking bit of New Wave melodic bass playing.

Both the tab online and the couple of YouTube covers I found aren‘t correct, so I’m taking a bit of time and using Transcribe to get it accurate. I wonder if I should invest in GuitarPro and write it down properly? I’ve been thinking about that recently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve got a few days off for Easter so I’m going to work on this, I’ve got the basic Bassline together , but as usual Robbie Shakespeare adds little changes and fills throughout the song, I’m having a bit of trouble breaking a few of them down, so I’ll be working on them,  I normally slow the track down and listen very closely for the notes, for example at 0.25 and 0.37, ( probably a separate question but  is it the end of bar 4 or 7 he changes the fill if I’m counting that he varies it ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a few days off for Easter so I’m going to work on this, I’ve got the basic Bassline together , but as usual Robbie Shakespeare adds little changes and fills throughout the song, I’m having a bit of trouble breaking a few of them down, so I’ll be working on them,  I normally slow the track down and listen very closely for the notes, for example at 0.25 and 0.37, ( probably a separate question but  is it the end of bar 4 or 7 he changes the fill if I’m counting that he varies it ? 

WOW that's so chilled. I can feel myself drift off. Good luck with the bassline.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

WOW that's so chilled. I can feel myself drift off. Good luck with the bassline.

Dave

Yeah it’s got a great feel to this one Dave , It’s not technically difficult but nailing those little fills is Tricky 🙂

• Like 1

Working on a whole bunch of songs, but more importantly, working on playing them without looking at my left hand! I think much of it is semi-concious, but I've noticed nearly every picture of me that's wher I'm looking!

Started with fretted bass - all went well. Now just retraining on the fretless. Good first session, but old dogs, new tricks, I reckon it will take some time to perfect!

I need some extra focus and some new tunes would help, having moved to a new area (country in fact) I’ve left my old bands behind and there’s no urgency to learn anything until I find a new role (online, recording collaborations notwithstanding). I’ve been relearning Haitian Divorce and having just taken delivery of a Beatbuddy mini and playing along to that is what’s occupying my bass time at the moment.

I keep stopping and staring to learn this , I’ve had the tab for quite a while,  it’s a great Bassline to play , so I’ve concentrated lately and tried not to get distracted by my long list of Basslines to learn that I keep adding to 😁

• Like 2

On 02/04/2021 at 19:12, Woodinblack said:

I am playing runaway, by Jamiroqui. Not the hardest of songs, but trying to get the notes flowing and looking effortless. It takes a lot of effort to make something look effortless!

Yeah anything Jamiroquai is hard to nail the vibe, quite a lot of FX in there. I've done a few recently, Time Won't Wait is fun to play. Hard to look effortless when your tongue is sticking out though.....

Having a go at some great (but some might say cheesy) tunes! Really enjoying working them out and in a few cases, trying to push my so called bass skills:

What a fool believes

Maybe I'm amazed 

Don't let the sun go down on me (EJ)

Burlesque (Family)

Forget me knotts

Sir Duke

10 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I keep stopping and staring to learn this , I’ve had the tab for quite a while,  it’s a great Bassline to play , so I’ve concentrated lately and tried not to get distracted by my long list of Basslines to learn that I keep adding to 😁

Thats what i do T, learn so much then get distracted by something else...need to put the blinkers on.

• Like 1