Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Currently into those Y Tube 70's pop compilations for a play along.... its crazy good fun from the cheese to the groove stuff....and a good workout for the fingers and the brain cells. Agadoo anyone?

That is a great idea! Thank you so much ! I'll probably go fer the  60's yesterday I was lookin' fr NaNaHeyHeyGoodbye by Steam

• 3 weeks later...

I've been making myself play with a plectrum after 30+ years of fingers. I've never been able to get it sounding natural but I think I'm finally cracking it.

How Long Has This Been Going On by Ace was just playing on an advert, so I muted the TV and played along with it on Spotify a couple of times using an Encore P with flats and a pick. For once I felt locked in and fluid, actually sounded better than when I switched back to fingers. Not a hard song by any means, but one of those simple grooves that just works.

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Been attempting Tom Sawyer by Rush over the last couple of days, it’s stretching my ability to its limit, especially the section over the synth playing mid song, getting it up to speed and correct phrasing gave me a headache.

I’m determined to crack it.

I recently learnt 'Limelight' it took me absolutely ages to memorise it, particularly the bassline during the guitar solo, there is so little repetition.  I would spend a few days on it, put it to one side then come back the following week.  I still haven't 'nailed it' I still make the odd mistake or hesitate here and there but I don't need to check a tab or my notes any more.

There is something really rewarding about learning a song by Rush, it's a bit like climbing a mountain.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 2