Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

Well I'm still very new to bass, I'm learning a hybrid of Iron Maidens Wicker Man, using root notes for some parts and Steve Harris version for others.

Most of the time at the moment I'm not including the chords, although on the outro I am trying to include them. When I'm still green and not playing fluently I play at about 50% speed so about 100bpm. When it's nailed I then will go upto 80% speed about 160 bpm.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Well I'm still very new to bass, I'm learning a hybrid of Iron Maidens Wicker Man, using root notes for some parts and Steve Harris version for others.

Most of the time at the moment I'm not including the chords, although on the outro I am trying to include them. When I'm still green and not playing fluently I play at about 50% speed so about 100bpm. When it's nailed I then will go upto 80% speed about 160 bpm.

Sounds pretty much how I started out. Can't argue with a bit of 'Arry!   Go on, my son!! 😎🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triumph_Rock said:

That's the way to do it. Be patient and get it right at slow speed then work your way up.

Excellent.

Dave

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Carry on My Wayward Son by Kansas. 

It’s a tricky one, with timing changes & plenty of different parts in it. I can play them all it’s just remembering them all and the order they’re in. 

played that on a fretless P bass back in 82. Great song to play. Would love to do more songs like that but can't get musicians interested enough.

Have fun.

Dave

At the moment we are just starting to play

Lets Dance (Bowie), Modern Love, Ballroom Blitz, Sweet Dreams, Power of Love (H. Lewis), Learn to fly, Cant stop this thing we started, Rocks, When you were young, Dancing in the Dark, plus I’m still learning the other 40+ songs on our play list on keyboard. .

Since i switched to keys we have suddenly started doing 80’s songs. Not that i mind, but dropped in at the deep end a bit. 

• 1 month later...

I've been learning to play 'Limelight' by Rush for ages, never quite nailed it but I'm getting there.  I'm ok until the guitar solo then there are about 40 bars or so where Geddy Lee accompanies the guitar in B and I struggle with the memorising.  I have created 4 cheat bars in B that are close to what Geddy Lee plays and I repeat them from the bit I haven't memorised until just before the end where Geddy Lee repeats a riff from earlier in the song.  I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if Geddy Lee improvised when playing live.

I also use 'Goodbye Toulouse' by the Stranglers as a practice tool.  Its too fast for me in finger style but as JJB played it with a pick, I use it for pick practice.

I'm also learning 'Smoke on the Water'.  All in G, not so difficult, just a question of memorising it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I've been learning to play 'Limelight' by Rush for ages, never quite nailed it but I'm getting there.  I'm ok until the guitar solo then there are about 40 bars or so where Geddy Lee accompanies the guitar in B and I struggle with the memorising.  I have created 4 cheat bars in B that are close to what Geddy Lee plays and I repeat them from the bit I haven't memorised until just before the end where Geddy Lee repeats a riff from earlier in the song.  I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if Geddy Lee improvised when playing live.

I also use 'Goodbye Toulouse' by the Stranglers as a practice tool.  Its too fast for me in finger style but as JJB played it with a pick, I use it for pick practice.

I'm also learning 'Smoke on the Water'.  All in G, not so difficult, just a question of memorising it.

The original Smoke on the Water had some nice wee bass runs in it. Love playing that song live. If done right the bass and drums can really drive it along and create a lot of energy.

Think Bilbo posted the bass music for Limelight if its any help. I did read a thing where Geddy said he didn't improvise and generally worked out his bass parts to the note but i'm not so sure. I've seen him play different parts in the same song. Sure some the Geddly officianado's will know better than me tho.

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well now that @neilmurraybass has put up his score to Fool For Your Loving I’m going to take a revisit and learn it properly - or at least get as near as I possibly can that is.

Haha, yes I am going to learn that too. I picked a copy of the original cd up cheap so I could get the track into Transcribe.

32 minutes ago, grandad said:

Trying to figure out a manageable arrangement for  'Telephone Line'  by ELO.

That’s a great song, I had a play about with it a few years ago when I heard it on the radio, our very own Constantine has a cover of it here 🙂

• Like 1

Working on "This charming man" by the Smiths. Fantastic bassline even though I don't care for Morrisey's vocals much. Original was played with a plectrum, but I prefer playing with fingers and I can get close enough to the sound to fake it.

It's great playing along in Transcribe as the pitch can be corrected to standard and section markers can be added so I don't forget when that extended first verse goes into the chorus. It's always one more repeat than I think.