Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

22 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gonna give this a shot this week now that i've just received the CD and the music downloaded from @Bilbo 

Its more of an exercise for me to improve my technique. Not sure i'll manage to play it as fast or as well as Jeff Berlin tho. Can usually manage the speed but lack the stamina to keep up the quadruplets for any length of time. That's the exercise part for me.

Had a first stab at this and that intro is murder on my left hand. I think he's playing it all low down on the neck and using all 4 fingers on his left hand. That needs a lot more practice. Beginning to think i should have picked a slightly easier one to start with :lol:

The vocal part i can get after a little bit of effort but again the stamina required to maintain it is pretty impressive. 

Its an exercise for my left hand so a work in progress shall we say. :D

Dave

I'm working on a few at the moment:

I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James

Money's Too Tight to Mention - Simply Red

All Cried Out - Alison Moyet

The above three are for one of the covers bands I'm playing in (adding new numbers while in lockdown), next two are just for my own personal fun:

Back to the River - Susan Tedeschi

Waiting on the World to Change - John Mayer

• 1 month later...

Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. Not particularly difficult in terms of notes, but got to have the right feel - and given my usual style is hit as hard as possible all the time I’m having to work at this one.

• Like 1

I have 2 tracks to learn for a recording session coming up for a drummer mate of mine.  He wants to record Steely Dan's 'Reeling In The Years' and 'Amos Moses' a la SAHB.  Bass part for each is fun, with a few little bits on RITY to keep me on my toes - I've been listening to this ever since it was released but only ever noticed some of the little flourishes and changes this last week over headphones.   I'd say the hard part for each will be the vocal :) But, as a 'nodder' my neck aches after playing along to 'Amos Moses' 😀 - I mean, you just can't not, can you.

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Aint no mountain high enough -  just because I got it in my head

Peg - because I had to learn Josie for my new band and that is the track that always plays after it.

These are scarily 3 of the last 4 tracks I have learnt.  Try adding Walk between the raindrops for a slightly unpredictable walking line.  Has anyone got any tips on how to make learning Deacon Blue a bit more interesting?  Did Walter Becker just compose the lines session players would find too boring?  Or am I being sacrilegious about Steely Dan?

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I hate songs that repeat endlessly except for a short bridge with no hint on when it will come...

It’s a nightmare! There are three versions of the same pattern and little suggestions as to what comes next at any point! Much harder to learn than something that changes all the time. I am trying to decipher the structure and some bits are ok, 2 of number 1 then 2 of number 2 and repeat, but other bits don’t follow that! I can imagine it being a car crash if we get it wrong. And it’s a finger killer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

These are scarily 3 of the last 4 tracks I have learnt.  Try adding Walk between the raindrops for a slightly unpredictable walking line.  Has anyone got any tips on how to make learning Deacon Blue a bit more interesting?  Did Walter Becker just compose the lines session players would find too boring?  Or am I being sacrilegious about Steely Dan?

I dont' really know Steely Dan. They are one of my wifes favourites, but they always left me cold, so I didn't bother listening. I have listened a bit more now due the basses but they would never be a favourite. Its odd, some of their bass lines are quite involved, and some are just plodding along doing nothing.

22 hours ago, steantval said:

Thought I would learn some real old classic rock tunes that I have never played in any bands I have been in.

Fully learnt Black Night by Deep Purple yesterday evening.👍

One of my favs to play by Deep Purple is Stormbringer. Great bass line.

Lot of satisfaction playing Rainbow Starstruck and Rising.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

2 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Well I've just got my first bass guitar, the first song I want to learn is Black Sabbat Paranoid. Lets see how that goes! Hopefully not to ambitious. 

If you search "<song name> bass tab" or "<song name> bass cover"  you might find some helpful stuff, but be aware that a lot of tabs  are full of errors, and some are very badly laid out. so look at a few and find one you are comfortable with.

It's worth watching a Sabbath live video and getting an idea of what Geezer is playing - how busy he is(n't) and where on the neck (about 5/7 fret IIRC). Listen to the song and try to hear what the bass is really doing, not what you thought it was doing. Tab can be great for understanding fills.

When learning, start slow and build up. Concentrate on getting the notes of each part right, then getting the right rhythm, then getting up to speed. Don't be ashamed to just play the root notes without any fills to help you learn the changes. Try to hear how your bass blends with the music when you are in time and in tune.

If you start making repeated mistakes, take a break so that you don't 'practice the errors'

• Like 1

• 3 months later...