Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have pretty much got the first two pages (out of 4 1/2) of Joy Joy down now. I can play all the bits up to speed but working on fluencey and getting transitions between the sections better. Amazed how much faster I can play now than a week ago!

What is it. ? Never heard of it before.

"Tin Man" by America.

I'm going through it slowly, writing down the name of the notes and working our the fingering for it.  Then I shall put it into notation-al form on manuscript paper.  By doing this I'm improving my Ear Training, music reading and finger dexterity all at the same time!  I need a cup of tea!

• Like 2

Boredom led me to figure out a song that’s been nagging me for years . Namely the “numbers Counting song” from 70’s Sesame Street. 

“Hair” is another funky one that’s really bothering me , I think Scott has a video on it ...not sure if I’m up to it tho

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Boredom led me to figure out a song that’s been nagging me for years . Namely the “numbers Counting song” from 70’s Sesame Street. 

“Hair” is another funky one that’s really bothering me , I think Scott has a video on it ...not sure if I’m up to it tho

Good luck with the number counting song 😁
When I was at school I used to impress some of the kids in my class by playing the theme tune to Rainbow on guitar 😀

14 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

When I was at school I used to impress some of the kids in my class by playing the theme tune to Rainbow on guitar 😀

One of Richie's lesser-known accomplishments 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

Did you use rude slag like “playing with our todgers”

• Like 1

One of my guitarists sent me drums only for Schools Out the other day, with a view to me laying down the bass line, then he gonna add guitars and pass to singist.  drummer can't set up at home hence the you tube isolated drums.  that's a more complicated bass line than I was expecting!  And in trying to get it all in i'm definitely getting behind the beat, which apparently caused the guitarist all kinds of issues when he tried putting his part on top.  still, its something to do until we can all get together again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

One of my guitarists sent me drums only for Schools Out the other day, with a view to me laying down the bass line, then he gonna add guitars and pass to singist.  drummer can't set up at home hence the you tube isolated drums.  that's a more complicated bass line than I was expecting!  And in trying to get it all in i'm definitely getting behind the beat, which apparently caused the guitarist all kinds of issues when he tried putting his part on top.  still, its something to do until we can all get together again.

Great song. We cover that in our 70's Glam covers band. 

This might help you with the bass part

Schools Out Bass by Alice Coopertabs @ Ultimate Guitar Archive.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

been doing Josie by Steely dan as it was the new guitarists choice for a song in my other band. Not really familiar with steely dan (although it is one of my wifes favourites), and can't see why anyone would want to listen to that in a pub but it is interesting to learn if nothing else!

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

This guy seems to be the biggest Steely Dan Bass fan in the world, and I've found watching his vids helpful

What a fantastic looking and sounding bass that is! 😃

*adds to watch list*

Edited by Ricky 4000

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

This guy seems to be the biggest Steely Dan Bass fan in the world, and I've found watching his vids helpful

Yes, I have seen his thanks, I always see his. I would say he is more a rush fan than anything else, that is what he does most (and also he says he is), also Tony Levin.

I saw that after another one..

Which was good for learning the song, although I find it more comfortable to play up the neck but watching what he plays I could translate it further up.

22 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

What a fantastic looking and sounding bass that is! 😃

Its amazing how we interpret things. I was thinking watching that video what a horrible bass sound he has on that. normally his sound is really good (and I had watched a few others before that, with one of his jazzes, the gould and a status), with any of his other basses, but that is horrible.

I guess that is why there are other basses!

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Its amazing how we interpret things. I was thinking watching that video what a horrible bass sound he has on that. normally his sound is really good (and I had watched a few others before that, with one of his jazzes, the gould and a status), with any of his other basses, but that is horrible.

I guess that is why there are other basses!

You clearly don't like the tones of a Rickenbacker, which is fine.

I do think you should be barred from ever owning one, otherwise we'll get the inevitable thread saying: "Listen to this thing! The only way to set the PUP height is to have the E, A and G strings slightly distorting - otherwise the flipping D is too quiet... even then it's a bit quiet... and I've cut my finger on the stupid PUP surround. And don't even get me started on the whole stupid bridge assembly! 😬".

I didn't hear Steely Dan records either, back in the day. But now I can appreciate Peg and Josie, especially with the bonus of Chuck Rainy on the bass.

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

been doing Josie by Steely dan as it was the new guitarists choice for a song in my other band. Not really familiar with steely dan (although it is one of my wifes favourites), and can't see why anyone would want to listen to that in a pub but it is interesting to learn if nothing else!

Josie in the pub 👍

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

You clearly don't like the tones of a Rickenbacker, which is fine.

no, I have nothing against many of the tones of a ric. That just sounds muffled and lifeless.

I do think you should be barred from ever owning one, otherwise we'll get the inevitable thread saying: "Listen to this thing! The only way to set the PUP height is to have the E, A and G strings slightly distorting - otherwise the flipping D is too quiet... even then it's a bit quiet... and I've cut my finger on the stupid PUP surround. And don't even get me started on the whole stupid bridge assembly! 😬".

I am mostly immune from getting one, ok,  ow they have a 5 string but it is still too much for me and apparently heavy?

I didn't hear Steely Dan records either, back in the day. But now I can appreciate Peg and Josie, especially with the bonus of Chuck Rainy on the bass.

yeh, one of those things once you listen they are good. Still couldn't say it's something I would listen too much but it is fun to play. I would say peg is a bit more of a pub song than josie (hadn't heard it before the suggestion)

Josie in the pub 👍

pretty good, but there are only 5 of us!

• Like 1