Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

I Shot the Sheriff is one of the tracks we cover in my band and i don't try to make it sound like any individual version. i take parts from each of the versions i know and merge it into the way i want to play it. It still sounds like the the song should sound. Here is a snippet of how i do it which in this part of the song is closer to the Burnin the wailers version 

That just has that Reggae feel. Bass is so smooth. Altho i'm not usually a Reggae fan i like the way these songs feel and the bass flows really nice

That's how to do it properly

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I'm the worst in the world for not playing much when I'm not rehearsing or gigging (and then get really worried how bad I've got as a result) but I tried learning Born To Run the other day as it had always stuck in my mind as probably one of those that has more to it than a casual listen suggests. It didnt disappoint !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

I Shot the Sheriff is one of the tracks we cover in my band and i don't try to make it sound like any individual version. i take parts from each of the versions i know and merge it into the way i want to play it. It still sounds like the the song should sound. Here is a snippet of how i do it which in this part of the song is closer to the Burnin the wailers version 

Loving that jazzy

2 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Has anyone got any top tips on how to nail down the timing of the chorus to Peg by Steely Dan (and the lead in to the chorus for that matter)?  It should be page 438 of 'The Complete Electric Bass Player' :)

Benny The Bassman? :)

1 hour ago, Waddycall said:

I’m trying to get immigrant song right. Left hand aches a bit after a couple of choruses.

I had a bash at that this afternoon. That's quite a swift little run isn't it?!!

Learned 'Californication' by RHCP, which I love, nice bass line. 

• Like 2

I took a first stab at Hit Me With your Rhythm Stick last night. Its been on my bucket list for many a year now. Might as well make the most of this lock down.

Just the verse riff to sort out. Can play it slowly but struggling with the speed and trying to remember it all. Needs more work. After 15 mins my left hand is killing me tho.

After i can sort that out i'll just polish it off and try to make it sound like Norman. That's the hard part.

It takes a lot of speed and stamina to play that full song. I need to work on my fretting hand stamina. Ouch !!!

Dave

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

I joined and originals rock band a week before the lockdown started so I have plenty to learn while I'm under house arrest.

Shameless plug here 😉

https://rattlesnakesister.bandcamp.com/

Pretty good sir. Well done getting that gig and wish you all the very best when things pick up for gigs again.

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Pretty good sir. Well done getting that gig and wish you all the very best when things pick up for gigs again.

Dave

Thanks so much for your kind words 🙂  I'm really looking forward to gigging with this band. 
And of course, I wish all on BC to get safely through this awful period and back out there again doing what we all love, whatever it may be 🙂
Dave

• Like 2