Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

People Say by The Meters. Struggling to transition between the A and D on the first part of the famous bass break, and need to tighten up the second part. May have to up the tension (currently on TI flats) for a bit more resistance!

After not playing, apart from the odd couple of minutes here and there, since breaking my right hand last November, I have decided to finish learning the track that got me to pick up the bass again 10 years ago, The Real Me by The Who.

I'm up to the point I got to last time, so I'm in uncharted waters now.

• Like 2

While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

I'd never really rated McCartney, particularly his work on Rubber Soul which is an atrocious mess.  He was off his face with that one.

But on WMGGW his playing and composition is amazing.  It's a difficult one to learn, not helped by it being 2 differing bass lines played on 2 different basses, but I'm getting there with it.

• Like 1

Today I have mostly been playing 'All Tomorrow's Parties'. I find it is one I can actually sing while playing, because the bass line is quite simple and the key is quite low (for a gurl).

I've been channelling Nico at the top of my voice - hope my neighbour appreciates it 🙂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Just thought I'd start pushing myself while there's all this time to spare. Giving this a go - great part, great feel. A long way to go but got the basics sorted.

That's a fun song to cover on bass. Starting from about halfway, the bassline just kind of repeats. Will you be adding more variation to it, or try to do a solo during the repeating parts?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lunatique said:

That's a fun song to cover on bass. Starting from about halfway, the bassline just kind of repeats. Will you be adding more variation to it, or try to do a solo during the repeating parts?

Trying to nail the feel. The rests are as critical as the notes to get it sounding right! I think it is the extended version I posted. Not really into soloing, just want to improve my playing and widen my repertoire during this downtime.

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

E mail from guitarist, 3 more to learn

Man of the world, Fleetwood Mac

Fool for the bright lights, Climax Blues band

The Ocean, Led Zepp.

7/8 time. WTF is 7/8 ????  😆

I've just done ramble on, and might have a look at the ocean in the upcoming weeks.

Luckily, I kinda knew ramble on roughly from years and years ago. Having revisited it, and playing to backing tracks, it's more of a feel song for the verse (rather than the melody I had in my head) really takes some getting used to, and then the chorus part is insanely fast. I found the key to that was getting the lead up bounce E, B, E, B followed by (low) E, G#, B right, then the chorus falls into place easier.

Good luck with them.

• Like 1

Rickroll yourself in the privacy and comfort of your own lockdown.

You've got plenty of time, which might be handy as this could take you a while to nail.

Surprised I've never heard anyone talk about this on BC, it's an amazing bassline that really does think outside the box. And it sounds so weird in isolation, yet it all clicks together perfectly when it's enmeshed in the song. Loads of damping required, so will check out your skills in this area as well !

This could be handy, isolated bass line:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Rickroll yourself in the privacy and comfort of your own lockdown.

You've got plenty of time, which might be handy as this could take you a while to nail.

Surprised I've never heard anyone talk about this on BC, it's an amazing bassline that really does think outside the box. And it sounds so weird in isolation, yet it all clicks together perfectly when it's enmeshed in the song. Loads of damping required, so will check out your skills in this area as well

This could be handy, isolated bass line:

Thought "that doesn't sound remotely like a real bass" so I looked it up and it's a DX7.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

My blues rock band are adding the Rory Gallagher song 'Secret Agent' to our set as it was suggested by a chap who comes to most of our gigs.  Very straightforward - to the point that the changes will trip me up!  Great tune though, not one I had heard before.

• Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 12:02, karlfer said:

I've moved on to the next on the guitarists list.

AC/DC Down Payment Blues.

Dear God, I do hate AC/DC stuff.

Requires a lot of discipline does AC/DC material, it’s so tempting to try and make it interesting to play on bass, but it then ruins the overall feel.