Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

I had 27 to learn in 2 weeks for a bass share gig (main bassist one weekend, me the next). Did the first 2 gigs the week before close down. Guitarist has sent me another 7 to learn lol.

One of them is Zep'd Ramble On  REALLY not my style😮.

More like struggle on 😋 

Oh, and they don't do rehearsals.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, karlfer said:

I had 27 to learn in 2 weeks for a bass share gig (main bassist one weekend, me the next). Did the first 2 gigs the week before close down. Guitarist has sent me another 7 to learn lol.

One of them is Zep'd Ramble On  REALLY not my style😮.

More like struggle on 😋 

Oh, and they don't do rehearsals.

God luck wie that one mate. :laugh1:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, karlfer said:

Not as hard as I thought Dave, courtesy of Songsterr & Adobe Flash 😁

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/led-zeppelin-ramble-on-tab-s22711t0

That's what i do too. 

I usually play thru and with the song 2-3 times to get a feel for it first.

Then i get the music tabs etc and look at youtube clips for the tricky bits that are sometimes missed on bass tabs.

Once i'm happy i have it all i write it all out note for note for my own files. That way it helps me remember what i wrote as well as having learned it by ear or tabs. 

Maybe a bit overkill but i keep my notes just in case i ever need them again.

Zep basslines are amazing even tho i'm not a huge Zep fan.

Dave

• Like 1

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. Not particularly difficult to play, it’s just remaining in the headspace of the continual riff for much of the song and keeping disciplined. 

And agree, Dave, Zep basslines are great, am glad I’ve finally gotten round to learning some of their material.

Edited by Lozz196

Nothing's Funny by The Dillinger Escape Plan

Been wanting to learn some Dillinger for a while, the non-4/4 time signature makes it more tricky to play than my usual covers band fare, but it's not too bad.

This song's got a real Faith No More vibe to it as well, which is cool

On 08/03/2020 at 11:00, dmccombe7 said:

Full new set list for a dep job in early May. Mates band kicked their bass player out due to drug / money related issues within the band. He was in his late 20's while rest of the band are "more mature". I used to play with this band 3 yrs ago but the set list has changed almost completely. Its interesting but nothing too difficult. Superstition by Stevie Wonder and one that really surprised me was Maggie May by Rod Stewart. Some nice bass in Maggie May. Only just finding the songs on-line to learn and locating any bass tabs or chord sheets i can find. Making a start on them this week. Here's the set list in no specific order as far as i know :- 

The Bluest Blues – Alvin Lee   A

That is a cracking tune, been a staple in our set list for night on 10 years, along with Midnight Blues by Gary Moore

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

That is a cracking tune, been a staple in our set list for night on 10 years, along with Midnight Blues by Gary Moore

I was quite looking forward to playing this set but the BL decided he's had enough of playing in bands and put it all on hold.

He is 70yrs young along with singer but still 20 yr olds at heart. 

Who knows if it will ever come to anything in future. Meanwhile my own band is taking advantage of the spare time and adding a good few new songs into our repertoire.

Dave

I am today mostly re learning I will follow you into the dark by Death Cab on the acoustic. I used to know it years ago but forgot it. Current global pandemic constraints are making me get more desperate in methods of relieving boredom and with two young people constantly omnipresent, bass noodling is out of the question.

We’re taking advantage of the isolation to learn some new songs to freshen up the set been after a new opener so learning 

Saturday nights alright for fighting to start 

got a a list of another 7 or 8 to be going on with after this 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peety said:

We’re taking advantage of the isolation to learn some new songs to freshen up the set been after a new opener so learning 

Saturday nights alright for fighting to start 

got a a list of another 7 or 8 to be going on with after this 

This might help a bit too

Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting Bass by Elton Johntabs @ Ultimate Guitar Archive.html