Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

Full new set list for a dep job in early May. Mates band kicked their bass player out due to drug / money related issues within the band. He was in his late 20's while rest of the band are "more mature". I used to play with this band 3 yrs ago but the set list has changed almost completely. Its interesting but nothing too difficult. Superstition by Stevie Wonder and one that really surprised me was Maggie May by Rod Stewart. Some nice bass in Maggie May. Only just finding the songs on-line to learn and locating any bass tabs or chord sheets i can find. Making a start on them this week. Here's the set list in no specific order as far as i know :- 

Big Change – Peter Green   G

Along For The Ride – John Mayall   A

Hard to Handle – Commitments   G

Sweet Home Chicago – Blues Brothers   E

Undercover Agent For the Blues – Tony Joe White   G

Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison  G

The Bluest Blues – Alvin Lee   A

Steamy Windows  - Tony Joe White E

Aint Going Down This Time – T.J. White   B

Somebody – Eagles   D

Tonights the Night – Rod Stewart   C

Tush -  ZZ Top   G

Knockin on Heavens Door – Guns & Roses   G

Some Kinda Wonderful – The Inmates   A

I Shot the Sheriff – Eric Clapton   G

Laid – James   C

Feels Like Rain – Buddy Guy   G

Superstition – Stevie Wonder   E

Knock on Wood – Eddie Floyd   D

Midnight Hour – Commitments   C

Mustang Sally – Commitments   C

Human – Rag & Bone Man   A

Hey Joe – Hendrix   C

Purple Rain – Prince   G

Maggie May – Rod Stewart   A

Another Brick in the Wall – Pink Floyd   D

Smoke on the Water – Deep Purple   G

Sultans of Swing – Dire Straits   D

Where Did I go Wrong – Paul Carrack   C

Old Time R&R – Bob Seger   A

Don’t Dream its Over – Paul Carrack   C

Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton   G

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. I know there’s an octave effect in there somewhere. I was learning it for a gig but obviously the pressure is off a bit now ha ha!

I keep dipping in and out of Rhythm Stick and Sir Duke too, just for the joy of learning how to play them properly. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. I know there’s an octave effect in there somewhere. I was learning it for a gig but obviously the pressure is off a bit now ha ha!

I keep dipping in and out of Rhythm Stick and Sir Duke too, just for the joy of learning how to play them properly. 

i just downloaded Rhythm stick tab as i keep meaning to learn it too.

Not heard of Sir Duke so gonna google that one.

Dave

EDIT :- Stevie Wonder and i do recognise it now. Just didn't know that's what it was called

Edited by dmccombe7

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i just downloaded Rhythm stick tab as i keep meaning to learn it too.

Not heard of Sir Duke so gonna google that one.

Dave

EDIT :- Stevie Wonder and i do recognise it now. Just didn't know that's what it was called

Yeah you must have heard the tune of Sir Duke among the way. Fantastic tune to play!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Not particularly tricky but it's a fun little bassline to play. We're adding The Lambrettas version of Poison Ivy to the setlist. 

Fantastic 😎 I'd forgotten how good this was, thank you for reminding me. I'm going to suggest it to the band.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I actually got back into playing music mainly because I wanted to make bass cover videos of songs I love. I was previously a professional composer and songwriter, but decided to get out of the business and keep music as a hobby.

I was never a good bass player, but it's my favorite instrument to play. It's been over a year since I decided to get back into playing bass (after almost 10 years break), and I pretty much had to start over as a beginner. But because I have an intermediate background in guitar and a little bit of bass, I was able to get in shape relatively quickly, and currently I'd say I'm about intermediate.

I've now almost mastered these two songs I plan to record cover videos of:

The first one took almost a year to master, due to some of the fast runs that are quite challenging for someone starting over again at middle-age (I'm 47). The second one's a bit easier, but has some challenimg slap lines near the end that I'm trying to master.

I'm in the early stages of learning these next two (and they're far more diffcult than the previous two, due to the jazz elements):

This last one is by far the most difficult, since it has a bass solo and it's also Eddie Gomez on upright (which I'll play on my EUB). Realistically, I think it's far too difficult for my current level, but I'll take as long as I need to master it.

Edited by Lunatique
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lunatique said:

quite challenging for someone starting over again at middle-age

I hear you! I'm learning to read music at 56 years young and the brain seems resistant to change. Especially when I want it to change.

• Like 1

47 Just a boy @Lunatique but well done getting back into bass again. its been my hobby for 45yrs now. I'm not a genius or master bass player but i get along ok and enjoy what i do.

As i've gotten older and back into playing in bands again at age 50 i've found i'm not trying to impress people / bands with fancy tricks and solos. I just play whatever the song needs whether originals Prog or my current 70's Glam Rock covers and its more relaxed now. 

I do like to push myself a little at home tho mainly to retain my stamina when playing longer gigs.

Dave