Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

On 17/01/2020 at 21:38, Lozz196 said:

Currently got to learn a whole bunch of songs for a jam with some mates, but the one I’m presently working on is Tarot Woman by Rainbow, great song with a really nice groove to it.

Moving on in the Rainbow world, Stargazer is now getting some attention. There’s just one bit I can’t get, a fiddly run at the start. I’ve got the notes from tab but they just don’t seem to fit so gonna wait til we rehearse and see what the guitarist does and just match that.

12 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Moving on in the Rainbow world, Stargazer is now getting some attention. There’s just one bit I can’t get, a fiddly run at the start. I’ve got the notes from tab but they just don’t seem to fit so gonna wait til we rehearse and see what the guitarist does and just match that.

Here's the part you are looking for when i played in Friends of Deep Purple tribute band. The spacing i've written here is only a guide.

E   DBbE          E   DBbE       E   DBbE       E  GEF#D

E   DBbE          E   DBbE        E   DBbE

DEbEG F#EF#E   DBDB BbAAG       GA     GF#F

Hope that helps.  

Taken from my own notes. I have the full song written out like that if needed i can scan the page and post for you. I do recall both myself and keys player working on it to get it right.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Here's the part you are looking for when i played in Friends of Deep Purple tribute band. The spacing i've written here is only a guide.

E   DBbE          E   DBbE       E   DBbE       E  GEF#D

E   DBbE          E   DBbE        E   DBbE

DEbEG F#EF#E   DBDB BbAAG       GA     GF#F

Hope that helps.  

Taken from my own notes. I have the full song written out like that if needed i can scan the page and post for you. I do recall both myself and keys player working on it to get it right.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that will be a big help.

• Like 1

Last rehearsal we started working up Dont Fear The Reaper. For a song so universally known in rock circles it rarely seems to feature in pub rock band sets (maybe itll die a death and we'll end up dropping it?). Unfortunately I've had to take on bvox/joint lead vox as well as bass and trying to slip in occasional organ bits in a couple of places via the midi pedals so getting the coordination of it all is provong a bit tricky, however we made progress so will perservere. Wont be ready for next gig but hopefully the one after that if we get another couple of rehearsals in.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KevB said:

.... and trying to slip in occasional organ bits in a couple of places via the midi pedals....

Ooh.... what set up do you have for midi pedals/synth, if you don't mind me asking? I want to dip my toes into that area of playing... I'm interested in the Mcmillen 12 step... 

1 hour ago, odysseus said:

Ooh.... what set up do you have for midi pedals/synth, if you don't mind me asking? I want to dip my toes into that area of playing... I'm interested in the Mcmillen 12 step... 

I have a 12 step and some Roland PK-5 pedals but the PK-5's are pretty much retired now, the 12 step is much more versatile. Because I started out with the old school pedals I've never got into running midi via a laptop, I bought a used Roland JV1080 years ago that someone had rack mounted into a box to make it more durable on the road. They had also installed some of the vintage keyboard soundcards and an orchestral one in the expansion slots so it came with a pretty good range of usable sounds and I'm still using that. They no doubt have something now that will give the same array of patches from a box the size of a packet of fags but I'm still hauling the JV unit around. To use an external module like that you need the little blue box from macmillen which acts as a link between pedals and sound module and also supplies power to the pedals. I think if you have all your patches on a laptop then that would power the pedals as well and the cabling becomes much neater.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevB said:

I have a 12 step and some Roland PK-5 pedals but the PK-5's are pretty much retired now, the 12 step is much more versatile. Because I started out with the old school pedals I've never got into running midi via a laptop, I bought a used Roland JV1080 years ago that someone had rack mounted into a box to make it more durable on the road. They had also installed some of the vintage keyboard soundcards and an orchestral one in the expansion slots so it came with a pretty good range of usable sounds and I'm still using that. They no doubt have something now that will give the same array of patches from a box the size of a packet of fags but I'm still hauling the JV unit around. To use an external module like that you need the little blue box from macmillen which acts as a link between pedals and sound module and also supplies power to the pedals. I think if you have all your patches on a laptop then that would power the pedals as well and the cabling becomes much neater.

Is there some magical search term that will turn up a midi foot-keyboard/pedal board without being swamped by other types of pedal board etc.

2 hours ago, KevB said:

Thanks Kev! Yeah, a few years ago I played in a band with a guy who ran some fantastic sounds from a laptop and a couple of expensive midi foot pedals, but unfortunately he had endless problems getting the set-up to work in a gig situation. Sounds went missing, effects wouldn't work, and it became farcical at times... so... I'm hoping to go down the 'straight-in' road, like yourself, to avoid the vagaries of having a laptop involved.  Cheers! 

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is there some magical search term that will turn up a midi foot-keyboard/pedal board without being swamped by other types of pedal board etc.

Not sure tbh. I don't think there are many of the type I'm referring to. There are the mcmillen type, Roland, Moog Taurus and I think Nord still make some sort of midi pedals too. here was a weird thing called the footar around at one time but that was slightly different arrangement.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Fov said:

Electricity by OMD. Annoyingly hard to play the bass-line accurately but still fun, sort of.

Now why can't all musicians where nice sensible clothes like that?

I note he doesn't bother to play the fills when he's singing the lyrics 🙂

Recent request from our singist...

Not difficult - took about 15 minutes to learn in all - but surprisingly satisfying to play, especially in the choruses with that nice movement through the chords. Sounds like a programmed line to my ears.

Wasn’t keen at first but one I now always look forward to playing in the set list.

Life’s weird innit?...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...