Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

Nothing new at moment. Last songs i learned were couple Glam Xmas covers. Let It Snow by Sweet and Merry Xmas Everbody by Slade.

Having a relaxing break from learning songs but back at rehearsals on Sun this week so need to just run thru the set list again.

I have a notion for doing Rhythm Stick tho. My New Years resolution. 

Dave

On 06/01/2020 at 19:47, Nicko said:

I'm currently working on Just A Girl by No Doubt which is a really nice song to learn, but the tabs available online aren't great.  I'm aslo polishing Ignorance by Paramore which is a great song but not much of a challenge and She's Electric by Oasis (no comment!)

You've probably found this, but if not enjoy :)

My acoustic band has a wedding booked in three weeks and we've been asked to play Tammy Wynettes 'Stand By Your Man'  and (bizarrely) Kenny Rogers' 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town', so I've been learning those two. The usual "it's country, how hard can it be" and then you actually listen applies, both songs have structures which don't seem to make sense, and then click. We're also working on a Country/Rockabilly version of Red Light Spells Danger which I'm liking at the moment. 

BTW the Kenny Rogers one is one of those songs you've always kind of known but never properly listen to, for what at first glance appears upbeat it's one hell of a dark song. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Maude said:

My acoustic band has a wedding booked in three weeks and we've been asked to play Tammy Wynettes 'Stand By Your Man'  and (bizarrely) Kenny Rogers' 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town', so I've been learning those two. The usual "it's country, how hard can it be" and then you actually listen applies, both songs have structures which don't seem to make sense, and then click. We're also working on a Country/Rockabilly version of Red Light Spells Danger which I'm liking at the moment. 

BTW the Kenny Rogers one is one of those songs you've always kind of known but never properly listen to, for what at first glance appears upbeat it's one hell of a dark song. 

Wait until you get asked for Old Town Road 🙂

"The Irish Washer woman", a 6/8 jig.  Why? Because it's blooming fiddly*  nothing like anything else I would ever play, and I've been listening to too much Dave Pegg and associated folk over the past couple of days.

I blame a certain BC member - you know who you are!

* no pun intended 

Edited by Richard R
  • Haha 2

On 07/01/2020 at 09:41, sbrag said:

About 40 of the buggers at the moment for a new band. First rehearsal on Thurs first gig at the end of the month. Knights of Cydonia is proving to be a pain as the chord sequence at the start has no logical order in my mind but getting there through repetition. Also that arpeggio tapping bit (which I know is synth really) is a challenge for me.

knights of cydonia

The galloping bit makes more sense if you break it down into groups of 3 notes

Play the pattern in bars 1 to 6

then repeat starting 8 frets higher [Major 6th]  C

Repeat the same pattern

then a move a Major 6th again. this time go down [4 frets] to Ab and repeat the same pattern

Those are the notes, not necessarily where you play them, some of them are an octave lower

That’s the pattern, hopefully that makes sense, and will help to get your head around it.

1.        2.           3.            4.         5.         6

G||------|-------------|-------------|-----------|----------|----------|

D||------|-------------|-------------|-----------|----------|----------|

A||------|----—3-------|---2--3--6---|--------3---------|----6-----|-------6-----|

E||--0---|-—3-----3---|---------------|-—3-----3——|--4---—3--|--4----3--|

1.        2.           3.            4.         5.            6

G||------|-------------|-------------|------------|------------|------------|

D||------|-------------|-------------|------------|------------|------------|

A||------|----—11------------|---10–11—14-—|----------11——------|---------14——-|--------14-—-—|

E||--8---|-—11-----11——|------------------------|-—11——--11——|--12——--11--|--12——--11--|

A||------|------—7-------|---6–-7-—10-—|--------7--------|-----10——|------10——|

E||--4---|-—7-----7----|----------------------|-—-7----7——|--8---—7-—|--8-——-7--|

Edited by 2 left thumbs

50 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Currently got to learn a whole bunch of songs for a jam with some mates, but the one I’m presently working on is Tarot Woman by Rainbow, great song with a really nice groove to it.

Brilliant song, brilliant album. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 17:49, 2 left thumbs said:

knights of cydonia

The galloping bit makes more sense if you break it down into groups of 3 notes

Play the pattern in bars 1 to 6

then repeat starting 8 frets higher [Major 6th]  C

Repeat the same pattern

then a move a Major 6th again. this time go down [4 frets] to Ab and repeat the same pattern

Those are the notes, not necessarily where you play them, some of them are an octave lower

That’s the pattern, hopefully that makes sense, and will help to get your head around it.

A||------|----—3-------|---2--3--6---|--------3---------|----6-----|-------6-----|

E||--0---|-—3-----3---|---------------|-—3-----3——|--4---—3--|--4----3--|

1.        2.           3.            4.         5.            6

G||------|-------------|-------------|------------|------------|------------|

D||------|-------------|-------------|------------|------------|------------|

A||------|----—11------------|---10–11—14-—|----------11——------|---------14——-|--------14-—-—|

E||--8---|-—11-----11——|------------------------|-—11——--11——|--12——--11--|--12——--11--|

A||------|------—7-------|---6–-7-—10-—|--------7--------|-----10——|------10——|

E||--4---|-—7-----7----|----------------------|-—-7----7——|--8---—7-—|--8-——-7--|

Thanks for the help your explanation makes sense. Rehearsed it for the first time on thurs and it went ok. Getting there with it.

Currently indulging my new found love of Joe dart by attempting to learn some vulfpeck songs. So far got most of conscious club down and beginning to work through Cory Wong. 

Also have a couple of acoustic gigs coming up with my band, meeting up with the guitarist tonight to attempt to pull apart our set list and rework our songs for a more stripped back sound. So considering a couple of covers. I'm hoping the guys will be on board with flight of the conchords but sadly I don't think they share my love for New Zealand folk rock ☹️

banging my head off a wall with Senor

Dave, we need to decide if you're going with melody or bassline

OK I'll put a bass line to it

cool

hey that's not in the chord play it again, hey that really works, wonder why? keep it in. and that section there just to change it up how about 8ths on the root

Really? OK like this?

Hmm yeah I think that works

or quarters, too slow. 16ths? too fast I can go faster (goes Lemmie) NO!!

I can sit at home and work out a bassline which sounds great until it gets to a practice session, which are always too short

To be fair Ride On was simple enough, Star of County Down was a breeze, Caledonia and If are simple enough, haven't really started on Harvest Moon