Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

I'm learning the title track from Ellen Foley's Night Out album as an aside from tidying up our set list and transcribing a whole bunch of Passions songs. Technically it's Fosters-easy, but getting the feel right is proving quite taxing, particularly the not-quite-ghost notes in the main riff.

Edited by lozkerr

On 27/12/2019 at 20:34, EJWW said:

Big respect to you having a go at Analogue Kid, so many wicked bass lines on this whole underrated album. My favourite song (and bass line) of that album is Digital Man.

Yes indeed, it was a toss up between Analog and Digital (arf arf!) Analog is likely to take a while to get up to standard, so I may well have a go at Digital Man as well.  In for a penny etc.... 

• Like 1

Because it's New Year's Day I decided I would learn something for fun, and not because I need to play it in either of my bands 

So I picked out 'Past Present and Future' by the Shangri Las, which is based on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. I'm experimenting with playing nearer the neck so as to sound more like a double bass. If I can master this technique it will come in handy for the more jazzy band, so it wasn't time wasted! 😎

• Like 1

There should be nothing simpler than Elvis Presley's 'That's Allright' (especially as the original doesn't have bass in it).

I've finally drummed into my head that he only spends one bar on the IV when he does the final scat verse.

What's the betting that when we practice tonight I play it like that and the guitarist doesn't...

• Haha 1

I'm about to learn 32 20 Blues by Back Door as a new song to slip into our blues band live set. It's all chords, which will be the first time in my 35 year playing career that I've played them.

I've read about Colin Hodgkinson on this forum over the years, but I never thought I'd end up plying one of his tunes.

Wish me luck!

50 minutes ago, Sandypjb said:

I'm about to learn 32 20 Blues by Back Door as a new song to slip into our blues band live set. It's all chords, which will be the first time in my 35 year playing career that I've played them.

I've read about Colin Hodgkinson on this forum over the years, but I never thought I'd end up plying one of his tunes.

Wish me luck!

Piqued my interest. You may find this useful.

I'm currently working on Just A Girl by No Doubt which is a really nice song to learn, but the tabs available online aren't great.  I'm aslo polishing Ignorance by Paramore which is a great song but not much of a challenge and She's Electric by Oasis (no comment!)

About 40 of the buggers at the moment for a new band. First rehearsal on Thurs first gig at the end of the month. Knights of Cydonia is proving to be a pain as the chord sequence at the start has no logical order in my mind but getting there through repetition. Also that arpeggio tapping bit (which I know is synth really) is a challenge for me.

I spent  most of December running through songs for 4 bands playing over the Christmas and New Year period. That's 8 sets of songs and extras that might be used for encores or added to the set at last minute! I hate it when they give you an extra list of "we might play these" songs!!

After that lot I'm having a breather. Whilst "resting" I have been looking at Brother Strut videos. Over the years they have used some excellent bass players. I feel a project coming on to get up to speed with some of these songs.

I got my hand on a note of something red that got me started. The score is pretty far from the right notes, so I suppose I need to do a transcription of my own. Shaun Ward plays so well, I need to record my own playing and find the nuances to get even close to his accuracy. I know it is an old song, but the groove is timeless.

Edited by itu

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

After that lot I'm having a breather. Whilst "resting" I have been looking at Brother Strut videos. Over the years they have used some excellent bass players. I feel a project coming on to get up to speed with some of these songs.

Our version of Can’t Feel My Face by The Weeknd is based closely on Brother Strut’s excellent cover. Simple to play but a fun heavy groove in the choruses.

No bass visible in the video and it sounds like a synth but Paul Turner (Jamiroquai) was involved around this time, I believe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

Our version of Can’t Feel My Face by The Weeknd is based closely on Brother Strut’s excellent cover. Simple to play but a fun heavy groove in the choruses.

Nice version. A good one to start with I think! Thanks for that.