Why become a member? ×

Markbass Big Bang headphone problem

patman

Hi,

ive just got a Markbass Big Bang 500 Head. Sounds great until I plug my headphones in. I’ve got a good quality set of headphones but there is a hissing noise on the right speaker. The headphones are quiet on my iPad and I’ve tried different cables but still the hiss on the right side which is annoying. The left side is quiet.

Has anyone here had the same problem? Can you fix it? Help.

Thanks

F353D54A-2943-4A0F-997C-4ADDAA4D5F5E.jpeg

Edited by patman

so if you have the head plugged into a cab, you plug your ipad into the head using that red cable, and it plays fine, audio from the ipad and the signal from your bass, but if you unplug that red cable from the ipad and instead use it to connect your headphones then it sounds wonky in one of the headphone speakers?

That cable looks really short for headphones :)

See how the connectors on the cables have metal bits and black bands? The metal is the contact for one of the channels or earth or microphone or whatever.

The very end that you can poke yourself with is the Tip (T) then there's a Ring (R) and then there's metal all the way down to the base of the plug, which is the Sleeve (S) (TRS)

If you find some headphones that came with a mobile phone or something that has a microphone you'll see there's another metal band, so there's the Tip, a Ring, another Ring and then the Sleeve (TRRS)

Sometimes the contacts inside a socket aren't set up to understand TRRS and fail to ground out properly if the wrong connector is used.

Your headphones don't have a microphone attached do they? Because a TRS cable might confuse the headphone end if it WANTS a TRRS.

Edited by caitlin
spelling

I don’t think it’s the headphones, I’ve also tried putting jacks into the effects loop but it still hisses at a level that surely can’t be right? Anyone got a Big Bang that they can tell me what their headphones signal is like?

Edited by patman

I think you need a TRS adaptor, as the output from the amp will be mono not stereo ie Tip (+) and ring (-) Both those cables you have pictured are stereo cables, something like tip (left channel) ring (right Channel)  ring (earth/return)

Although your headphones may be stereo I'm pretty certain the output from the amp wont be.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/C2G-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Adapter-Silver/dp/B002DWAXKU/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=stereo+mono+adapter+3.5mm&qid=1577384784&sr=8-19

Something like this in your amp, the plug one of your pictured cables into that, and other stereo end into headphones, should sort it!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

32 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I think you need a TRS adaptor, as the output from the amp will be mono not stereo

Although your headphones may be stereo I'm pretty certain the output from the amp wont be.

Not sure about that.  Yes the amp is inherently mono, but the headphone socket will be wired for stereo headphones i.e. with the mono signal duplicated to L and R.

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I think you need a TRS adaptor, as the output from the amp will be mono not stereo ie Tip (+) and ring (-) Both those cables you have pictured are stereo cables, something like tip (left channel) ring (right Channel)  ring (earth/return)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/C2G-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Adapter-Silver/dp/B002DWAXKU/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=stereo+mono+adapter+3.5mm&qid=1577384784&sr=8-19

Something like this in your amp, the plug one of your pictured cables into that, and other stereo end into headphones, should sort it!

Thanks, I’ll look into that 🤩