Why become a member? ×

Bless the wife - NBD!

geoham

Merry Christmas!
The wife had asked what I wanted for Christmas a few weeks ago. I’d suggested a basic six-string guitar to mess about with at home with my Helix. A Squier Tele or something would have been ideal!

Today she surprised me with six-string bass, a Harley Benton progressive B-650. It seems a LOT of bass for the money, but realistically is useless to me, I can’t remember it getting gigged ahead of my Lakland or Fender. She asked my guitarist mate for advice, and even after I told him I’d like to get my hands on a Tele after having a go of his, he still led her to this!

I’m hoping Thomann will let me exchange it!

Edited by geoham

3 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I’d keep it. Barely any point in the hassle of sending it back and it seems such a lovely gesture for her to have done.

One assumes when you were talking to your guitarist about wanting a 6 string he thought you meant a bass!

I am thinking of keeping it, doing a bit of chordal stuff at the traditionally dusty end of the neck, that kind of thing to push my boundaries a bit. 

I’ve had a strict three bass rule for the past few years, and any that don’t earn their keep have to go. This definitely won’t earn its keep or push any others out the door, so it may end up being a exception!

This is the bass - has anyone ever used one?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_650_black_progressive_series.htm

George

I’d keep it, it’s a fantastic gesture by someone who clearly loves you a lot and worth a lot more than just money or some self-imposed rule. Don’t think of it as a bass, it’s an extended-range instrument which happens to incorporate some bass frequencies. Lose the low B, shift the other strings down, add a high F string and there’s something really different for you to play which is a lot more than just a bass, problem solved.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I’d keep it, it’s a fantastic gesture by someone who clearly loves you a lot and worth a lot more than just money or some self-imposed rule. Don’t think of it as a bass, it’s an extended-range instrument which happens to incorporate some bass frequencies. Lose the low B, shift the other strings down, add a high F string and there’s something really different for you to play which is a lot more than just a bass, problem solved.

An interesting idea, thanks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

8 hours ago, geoham said:

I am thinking of keeping it, doing a bit of chordal stuff at the traditionally dusty end of the neck, that kind of thing to push my boundaries a bit. 

I’ve had a strict three bass rule for the past few years, and any that don’t earn their keep have to go. This definitely won’t earn its keep or push any others out the door, so it may end up being a exception!

I agree completely with Doctor J here. Plenty of scope for exploring, especially with a Helix.

It's a lovely gesture that also comes as a surprise -- maybe not a surprise you think you want, but a surprise that you might well be delighted by in due course.

An exception that encourages you to push your own boundaries sounds like a great present to me. Pure experimental research doesn't always earn its keep in a direct way either, but that's where the wonders are to be found. If ever something deserved a waiver of your three-bass rule, I'd say an intriguing Christmas gift from your wife is probably it. Happy Christmas!

My previous post should be read with the following caveats:

1. The OP didn't actually request advice, so please feel free to completely disregard what I wrote.

2. The general consensus on Basschat regarding basses seems to be: (a) if in doubt, buy it; and (b) if in doubt, keep it.

It is possible that Basschatters are less than objective on those points, but I wouldn't care to generalise.

• Haha 3

The reviews really are fantastic aren’t they? Next big contract I win I might get one of these as a treat!

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Not yet, but I ordered that very bass 3 days ago and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive.

To be fair the reviews on it are outstanding. 

• Like 1

So after putting the bass back in the box yesterday and convincing myself it had to back, I spent an hour with it plugged in today.

I must say, I’m very impressed and have decided to keep it. The neck pickup is a bit dull, but the bridge is great - really powerful and punchy. The truss rod could probably use a slight turn and the intonation needs tweaked, but no fundamental issues with workmanship or playability.

Goodness knows how they can make a bass like this for under £150. I reckon I’ll pick up a Harley Benton Tele soon enough!

George

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, geoham said:

So after putting the bass back in the box yesterday and convincing myself it had to back, I spent an hour with it plugged in today.

I must say, I’m very impressed and have decided to keep it. The neck pickup is a bit dull, but the bridge is great - really powerful and punchy. The truss rod could probably use a slight turn and the intonation needs tweaked, but no fundamental issues with workmanship or playability.

Goodness knows how they can make a bass like this for under £150. I reckon I’ll pick up a Harley Benton Tele soon enough!

George

There it is, why have a new bass or a guitar when you can have a new bass and a new guitar? 👏👏👏

• Like 3
  • Haha 2