Why become a member? ×

So, what music related gifts did we all get today?

dave_bass5

image.png.f9570b55db3be0f592cd41f5cce8966d.png

From my daughter. I've managed to get to page 15 as I can only stomach about 3 or 4 pages at a time.

The author is such a sycophant. Why the biographers attempt to elevate the subject of their efforts to messianic height I know not. I shall however persevere.

I do enjoy biographies of singers and there are many very well written and researched works that are well worth reading. A number of these I keep on my shelf to pick up again.

484 pages - oh dear!

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grandad said:

From my daughter. I've managed to get to page 15 as I can only stomach about 3 or 4 pages at a time.

The author is such a sycophant. Why the biographers attempt to elevate the subject of their efforts to messianic height I know not. I shall however persevere.

I do enjoy biographies of singers and there are many very well written and researched works that are well worth reading. A number of these I keep on my shelf to pick up again.

484 pages - oh dear!

Seeing Paul Morley's name on the front would be enough deter me from picking any book. I recall his scribblings in the NME/MM were pretty pretentious. As for Bowie, he was occasionally alright but of course Morley isn't the only person to see him as some kind of deity

• Like 2

There are always some CDs and books on my Amazon wish list around birthday and Christmas time and this is what Santa brought this year. An eclectic old mix of music and the latest Dave Hepworth book to read. I do like his writing - much more than, say, Mr Morley!

01BEAE95-7DC1-41EB-B6E2-2F98DA4B8D75.thumb.jpeg.779e36d2fa64e1897fb8cb333e238c12.jpeg

On 28/12/2019 at 06:03, grandad said:

484 pages - oh dear!

Finished reading it although I admit to speed-reading much due to my mental fatigue induced by the writer's verbosity.

However, the final chapter is a redeeming factor and I might go back and start again at a later date. 

I may have been predisposed in my judgement as I was/am not enthused by the accompanying glam & hype - tinsel and sparkle attempting to dress up musical trivia .

I know I tend to be quick to dismiss but I have said I'll try another read later.  My apologies to fans of Bowie, Bolan and the like.

Edited by grandad
Grammar