Why become a member? ×

Scotts 30 basses

Woodinblack

39 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

He's ok, harmless enough.  I'm impressed at how well he plays with a prosthetic left hand.

To give the bloke his due, he's a superb player, and probably a superb teacher. I just can't stand his clickbait videos and five minutes of waffle before he gets to the point. I'm sure his actual paid content is much better, but his YouTube videos are more than enough to put me off. 

Anyway, yes..... basses......

As you were. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

Those 30 basses look amazing but are waaaay to posh for me! Wonder if we could persuade Scott to do a video with 30 budget basses? Thinking about getting my first 5 string next year and something like that video with sub £500 basses would be a great place to start.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Those 30 basses look amazing but are waaaay to posh for me! Wonder if we could persuade Scott to do a video with 30 budget basses? Thinking about getting my first 5 string next year and something like that video with sub £500 basses would be a great place to start.

If you search on you tube there are videos out there, Andertons done one, Patrick Hunter as well etc.

@Reaper you used to have a 5 string Spector as your avatar - was that just a wish list bass?

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh yes, I liked the MTD 534

Yeah amazing tone.  I looked it up on Bass Direct's website and was surprised to see it had a Mahogany body,   Makes me wonder with an Active instrument how much the body impacts the tone or whether it's all in the electronics.

32 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

To give the bloke his due, he's a superb player, and probably a superb teacher. I just can't stand his clickbait videos and five minutes of waffle before he gets to the point. I'm sure his actual paid content is much better, but his YouTube videos are more than enough to put me off. 

Anyway, yes..... basses......

As you were. 

There was a thread about this a while ago, and Scott even recorded a little video just for VC to respond to it.  Its quite interesting to hear his perspective, but ultimately it's a path YouTube has driven content providers down due to how their algorithms promote videos - and I imagine YouTube is one of Scott's primary sources to drive new subscribers to his academy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

If you search on you tube there are videos out there, Andertons done one, Patrick Hunter as well etc.

@Reaper you used to have a 5 string Spector as your avatar - was that just a wish list bass?

Hey Cuzzie, you've got a good memory! Yeah very much wish list - I saw one on BC and really liked the look of it. I'll check out those videos you suggested thanks.

18 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I've never owned one but the Sire's have got to be worth a look.  Andertons have some Jan sale offers on them, plenty of fivers there around the £500 mark.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Videos like this are interesting. They show me how similar most basses are and with a little EQing how 90% of them will sound indistinguishable from each other.

An Ed Freidland Precision bass comparison. . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJUz1oajXo

Great video that. It just goes to show that 90% of the stuff we talk about on here is utter nonsense. 

But then I think most of us knew that anyway. 😂

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

They all sounded exactly the same!!!

There was a sister video where he played these basses without the track. You could hear minor differences, but that's my previous point. We turn ourselves inside out over small differences in sound and some think they are on a quest for the "perfect" sound. When you hear a mashup like this you realise that good is good enough and the focus should be on what we are playing rather than the tools.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There was a sister video where he played these basses without the track. You could hear minor differences, but that's my previous point. We turn ourselves inside out over small differences in sound and some think they are on a quest for the "perfect" sound. When you hear a mashup like this you realise that good is good enough and the focus should be on what we are playing rather than the tools.

I just had a listen to the Isolated bass ones, the only difference I could really pick up on was between the basses with Rounds and Flats, but even that was surprisingly minimal.  

You almost found a permanent cure for my GAS affliction.  Fortunately there are many other aspects to buying basses; weight, neck profile, aesthetics, play-ability so still plenty of things to debate here on Basschat.

• Like 1

Wow, that was actually very interesting.  Some of those basses sounded like they couldn't punch a hole through a wet paper bag. I'm guessing they would be lost in the live mix without some serious eq or space. 

Sandburg, Gibson, Pedulla and the single coil Fedora sounded good to me. 

Edited by 2elliot
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, acidbass said:

Sounds awesome - thanks so much for the link! Most just sound like normal Jazz Basses and I have the following thoughts:

Top 3:

- Vigier 4 - can imagine that sweet high end on a 5 string, would buy instantly!

- Ken Smith BSR 5 TN, super tight low B

- MTD 534 24 OMG what a tone!

Very Impressed By:

- MTD Super 5 - loved how different this tone was, very synthy towards the end, surely Scott kicked on an octave pedal?

- Hofner obviously

- Yamaha Billy Sheehan - surprised how round the P tone from this bass sounded for a supposed ‘rock bass’ - stick flats on it and I would definitely bring this baby to sessions

- Status Graphite - not my personal choice of tone at all but so remarkable!

- Dingwall Lee Sklar sig - like a P bass on steroids!

- Ken Smith Hadrien Feraud sig - loved the high end

- Spector Euro LE4, loved the punch outta a solo P pickup

Underwhelmed By:

- Fender Pino - definitely not a £3,500 P Bass

- Zon Legacy Elite 5 - sounded so thin!

- Fodera Monarch Deluxe - a very pretty instrument but for £5,500 you basically get what sounds like a 5 string J Bass!

- Alembic Custom - the pickup position surely to blame here for a very non musical bass tone :(

I thought the Alembic had one of the few musical tones on offer. Horses for courses and all that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reaper said:

Hey Cuzzie, you've got a good memory! Yeah very much wish list - I saw one on BC and really liked the look of it. I'll check out those videos you suggested thanks.

@ReaperWas it in the for sale section? If so, go for it if you can, if not, you can always DM the person and suggest if they ever want to part with it, you could be first in line - you never know, may work?!