Why become a member? ×

Scotts 30 basses

Woodinblack

30 beautiful sounding basses. Obviously a great musician will sound great on any instrument. 

I would have them all! Yep even the horrendous ugly ones that looked like the designs were chosen from the least successful drawings in a competition of blind 5 year olds working with crayons on a roller-coaster. Drunk. 

Just now, owen said:

That video gave me Smith GAS. 

There are worse things in life you could be getting GAS about, believe me!

I thought the Aria looked the part, but it wasn't the standout bass for me tonally. I guess with 30 different basses you're going to get at least 250 different views on which three nail it!

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I was impressed to just how good the Aria sounded.

Well that just goes to show, because I thought it sounded terrible! I can’t say I was that impressed with any of them, but I thought the Aria, Ray and Sadowsky were probably the worst sounding. The Ps, The Alembic, The Smith (not the HF) and the Kingbass were probably my favourites, although the KB was possibly a little pingy. 

That's a great video.  I listened back to the video with my eyes closed and made a note of the Basses I really liked.  In some ways I wished I'd seen this befor ordering my custom, based on my analysis I may have made a few tweaks to the design.

I have a lot of time for Scott, I know in the past few years his YiuTube videos have become full of annoying click bait but he's just playing the YouTube game and his paid content is really good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

That's a great video.  I listened back to the video with my eyes closed and made a note of the Basses I really liked.  In some ways I wished I'd seen this befor ordering my custom, based on my analysis I may have made a few tweaks to the design.

I have a lot of time for Scott, I know in the past few years his YiuTube videos have become full of annoying click bait but he's just playing the YouTube game and his paid content is really good.

Aaaaaaaaaaand what did you like?

36 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Aaaaaaaaaaand what did you like?

Most of the J type basses, which is good as my custom is a J Bass type 😀.  My top picks were the :

- Fodera Emperor J (@1:57)

- Sadowsky Satin Series Deluxe (@3:54)

- Alemebic Custom J (@3:22)

- Ken Smith BSR 5 (@4:32)

- MTD 534-24 (@1:32)

- Mayones Jabba Mala  (@3:01)

- Roscoe Century STD+ (@3:47)

A couple I really disliked were the Status Kingbass and the Warwick Infitinity.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome - thanks so much for the link! Most just sound like normal Jazz Basses and I have the following thoughts:

Top 3:

- Vigier 4 - can imagine that sweet high end on a 5 string, would buy instantly!

- Ken Smith BSR 5 TN, super tight low B

- MTD 534 24 OMG what a tone!

Very Impressed By:

- MTD Super 5 - loved how different this tone was, very synthy towards the end, surely Scott kicked on an octave pedal?

- Hofner obviously

- Yamaha Billy Sheehan - surprised how round the P tone from this bass sounded for a supposed ‘rock bass’ - stick flats on it and I would definitely bring this baby to sessions

- Status Graphite - not my personal choice of tone at all but so remarkable!

- Dingwall Lee Sklar sig - like a P bass on steroids!

- Ken Smith Hadrien Feraud sig - loved the high end

- Spector Euro LE4, loved the punch outta a solo P pickup

Underwhelmed By:

- Fender Pino - definitely not a £3,500 P Bass

- Zon Legacy Elite 5 - sounded so thin!

- Fodera Monarch Deluxe - a very pretty instrument but for £5,500 you basically get what sounds like a 5 string J Bass!

- Alembic Custom - the pickup position surely to blame here for a very non musical bass tone :(