Why become a member? ×

Exciting New Years Eve Gigs, What's Happening With Everyone?

Bluewine

ABBA Tribute Show in Aschaffenburg. Done by 8:30 and the whole crew are good mates. It’s way away from home so we’re in a hotel and I can actually relax for once at Midnight. I’m just glad not to be home (Berlin). NYE is like the bleedin’ apocalypse there. My wife and kids are safely at Grandma’s in the countryside.

• Like 2

I try and avoid NYE gigs. Did it once in The Lugger in Penzance. 3 hours in a brightly lit function room playing to grannies dancing with their toddler grandchildren while mummy and daddy get sh*tfaced in the bar next door. It was a long, sober night.... 

I'd rather jam with my friends down in my mate's barn conversion miles from anywhere. 

Dinner dance function for me, at a hotel 15 mins away. Done it the last few years and it’s not the most exciting gig, although the fee is. Think it may be the last one though, so will see what transpires for next year - 2020 may even be my first NYE off in over 30 years. 

• Like 1

Afternoon NYE gig for the jazz standards quartet at a nursing home. We have done this several years now and start at 1:30PM after the residents/patients make their way to the big recreation room. With staff and family members at least 120 people and some are able to dance, some are in wheelchairs and some are brought in right in their beds. It's a bit bizarre but we are used to it now and have a good time as the audience sings, taps, claps ,nods or dances(even in wheelchairs!) as we move through our carefully chosen two sets. We play less than an hour and a half and then the balloons come down and they break out some bubbly and we launch into Auld Lang Syne and then munch on cookies and other treats as we socialize with the staff and residents and pack up.

It's a bit sad since some are in very poor health but everyone enjoys it and it has become a tradition to have us on NYE and it makes us realize how lucky we are to be healthy enough to be able to play the gig and bring some fun into the day. We also are paid so that makes the hour drive better but I know we would do this one for free. Count your blessings folks and have a great 2020.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Do you have to do that for the same money given that it’s so early and you’ll be home before most of us have started?

Yeah, same $$ Hiram. These early NYE gigs are getting very popular in my neck of the woods.

My band leader was telling me a lot of local bands were having problems getting booked for NYE. :(

Blue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Staggering on said:

Afternoon NYE gig for the jazz standards quartet at a nursing home. We have done this several years now and start at 1:30PM after the residents/patients make their way to the big recreation room. With staff and family members at least 120 people and some are able to dance, some are in wheelchairs and some are brought in right in their beds. It's a bit bizarre but we are used to it now and have a good time as the audience sings, taps, claps ,nods or dances(even in wheelchairs!) as we move through our carefully chosen two sets. We play less than an hour and a half and then the balloons come down and they break out some bubbly and we launch into Auld Lang Syne and then munch on cookies and other treats as we socialize with the staff and residents and pack up.

It's a bit sad since some are in very poor health but everyone enjoys it and it has become a tradition to have us on NYE and it makes us realize how lucky we are to be healthy enough to be able to play the gig and bring some fun into the day. We also are paid so that makes the hour drive better but I know we would do this one for free. Count your blessings folks and have a great 2020.

This is awesome. The assisted living market is something I hope we can tap into in 2020.

These folks really appreciate live music.

Blue

We regularly do a cheap and cheerful gig at a cheap and slightly scary pub. The owners of the venue also own a nice hotel which they've invited us to play this NYE. 

Nice paycheck, food and drink and accommodation thrown in. Being the only sober member of the band they have even reserved me a single room with everyone else sharing so I can get to bed while they get wasted and I don't get woken up by their amusing drunken banter. 

I call that a win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

We regularly do a cheap and cheerful gig at a cheap and slightly scary pub. The owners of the venue also own a nice hotel which they've invited us to play this NYE. 

Nice paycheck, food and drink and accommodation thrown in. Being the only sober member of the band they have even reserved me a single room with everyone else sharing so I can get to bed while they get wasted and I don't get woken up by their amusing drunken banter. 

I call that a win. 

Another member of the " Only Sober Member Of The Band Club"

Welcome aboard. :)

Blue