Jump to content
EJWW

New year resolutions for 2020?

Recommended Posts

Some people thing they're pointless but my favourite thing about the xmas and new year downtime is the opportunity for reflection and to gain some perspective.

Over three last two or three years I've managed to make some real progress following a 10 year hiatus from the bass guitar. This process followed some challenging but realistic new years resolutions: I found a terrific teacher and took some lessons, listened to lots of new and old music, attended local open mic gigs and because of the networking opportunities these offer joined a gigging band. I videoed myself playing and was able to address my duff stage presence and miserable demeanor. 

I finally smashed my confidence barrier and started singing backing vocals and later took over lead vocals on one song. I've taken a few singing lessons to improve my technique in this area as well. 

I am now in a new covers band with some great players and I've also taken over bass duties in the local open mic house band which is every week. 

So finally, my new year resolutions for 2020?

1 I want to become accomplished at reading chord charts so I can open up more varied gigging opportunities;

2 I want to make original music. Covers allow me to scratch one particular itch but I'm craving some deeper creative satisfaction. 

I think these are realistic aspirations. 

Does anyone else plan to set themselves any new challenges on 2020?

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all BCers 🍻

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing specific, just going to try and learn some different songs & styles now that for the first time in nearly 20 years I won’t be in a band. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One resolution is that I’m going to spend more time practicing, and less time on basschat (like that’s really gonna happen🙄)  😁

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sell more basses than I buy" would be a good, but unrealistic start.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

"Sell more basses than I buy" would be a good, but unrealistic start.

Amen brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are:

1. Practice, Practice, Practice

2. Try and build my confidence and hopefully try out for a band 

3. Practice some more after being laughed at and turned down by the band in number 2...............😬

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to get to a point with the fretless where my left hand doesn't start creeping up the neck of it's own accord if I'm not constantly watching it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as last year..."Don't make New Years Resolutions"...

Seriously though, if you want to make change why wait?? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine would be:

Spend more time on Basschat

Buy more basses

Practice less

 

That way nobody is disappointed. :) 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Same as last year..."Don't make New Years Resolutions"...

Seriously though, if you want to make change why wait?? 

Has been my approach for years 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

One resolution is that I’m going to spend more time practicing, and less time on basschat (like that’s really gonna happen🙄)  😁

Yes, but a really good resolution. I might just have to nick that one! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Same as last year..."Don't make New Years Resolutions"...

Seriously though, if you want to make change why wait?? 

It's just a way for me to pick a couple of goals which should be achievable in a 12 month period. There is no way I could move forward and tackle everything I ever wanted to do on the bass in one go without it resulting in failure and disappointment. I can't forget I've got a job, a Mrs and 3 kids to try to attend to as well...

Small but significant steps forward is the way to go for me. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EJWW said:

Does anyone else plan to set themselves any new challenges on 2020?

Yup, for the first time since I was a kid.
I'm gonna turn more and more of my walking into running, and plan to "compete" in an autumn hill forest run, where I should be able to make the list in the age group 61-65.

This year, a guy over 80 was as fast as I was. Next year I wanna run like a 75-year-old, and the year after that like a 65-year-old.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having moved to a new area last month, my 2020 resolution is to get into a new band.

I made contact with a drummer on JMB the other day, we're meeting for a coffee after xmas to chat music and see how we get on. We're the same age, seem to have the same taste in music and see it as fun first and foremost, so the signs are good. We'd also like a big band (horns etc) but not sure how realistic that is with the fun before cash mindset, but who knows? Tbh, I'm just gagging to get back in the studio after almost 12 months out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Same as last year..."Don't make New Years Resolutions"...

Seriously though, if you want to make change why wait?? 

Good call Mick, my last gig as a substantive member of the band happens to be 30 Dec so mine is kind of a New Years Resolution by default. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EJWW said:

Some people thing they're pointless but my favourite thing about the xmas and new year downtime is the opportunity for reflection and to gain some perspective.

Over three last two or three years I've managed to make some real progress following a 10 year hiatus from the bass guitar. This process followed some challenging but realistic new years resolutions: I found a terrific teacher and took some lessons, listened to lots of new and old music, attended local open mic gigs and because of the networking opportunities these offer joined a gigging band. I videoed myself playing and was able to address my duff stage presence and miserable demeanor. 

I finally smashed my confidence barrier and started singing backing vocals and later took over lead vocals on one song. I've taken a few singing lessons to improve my technique in this area as well. 

I am now in a new covers band with some great players and I've also taken over bass duties in the local open mic house band which is every week. 

So finally, my new year resolutions for 2020?

1 I want to become accomplished at reading chord charts so I can open up more varied gigging opportunities;

2 I want to make original music. Covers allow me to scratch one particular itch but I'm craving some deeper creative satisfaction. 

I think these are realistic aspirations. 

Does anyone else plan to set themselves any new challenges on 2020?

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all BCers 🍻

Absolutely brilliant @EJWW

Best of luck with all of it... 😊

In 2010 I did 3 things I'd never done before, namely Have a proper music lesson, have a cookery lesson and I walked the South Downs Way.. All of it was amazing and the feeling of achievement afterwards was brilliant.. 

You've got me thinking now for some new things to do..

Have a good Xmas 😊

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop buying Fenders. I’ve found four I just “simply had to have” since late August. To be fair one was a trade-in as Bass Direct, but is simply has to stop...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take that bloody Takemine TB-10 out of my Thomann basket before I do something silly. 

 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is to give my solo material more time in 2020 and do more solo gigs. Being bandless for the first time in four and a half years allows me more time for my stuff.

That said, my other music related resolution is to get back into another band quickly (things are already developing on that front) that gigs, but just less frequently than what I’m used to. A less intensive pace works for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really new year resolutions as I've already started, but.. learning more covers to extend my technique, and learning Spanish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not in a band now and I'm relishing the thought of having no musical commitments for 2020.

I have made a Spotify playlist of songs I always wanted to learn and can't wait to work my way through them now that I have the time. I should be 'shed' loads better this time next year! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...