Why become a member? ×

New year resolutions for 2020?

EJWW

I can't afford to indulge in resolutions. I have to do the right thing now not promise myself that I will do it in the future. Experience teaches me that I'm the kind who replaces action with intention. 

Different for others I know, having said that I do hope to get back on my push bike as soon as possible 

• Thanks 1

My New Year resolutions will be to drink less (being saying that since the mid 1970s!) and to play more gigs. 2019 wasn't a record breaker in terms of number of gigs played, but they were of a much higher quality than preceding years, and that's a trend I'd like to see continue. I will start my third year with the Grateful Dudes in January, and I am  finally starting to feel like a member of the band instead of an imposter!

My number one resolution, however, is to stay alive long enough to think about what I want to do in 2021.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

Only picked up the bass once this year while being deep in the depression  that follows me around and just won’t quit
resolutions ? Playing more often, finding a band and getting out there again 

That sounds like a really tough year. Wishing you some Christmas cheer from East London and a positive start to 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

I can't afford to indulge in resolutions.  I have to do the right thing now not promise myself that I will do it in the future.

Just want to say I know that place, and feel you're right in the notion. Thanks for posting it, as it might be helpful to someone out there.

Also, thanks once again for posting it, as it also confirmed that I've gone some miles since I was in that same place as you are. If I take care, I can now have resolutions, and work at them every day (or at least each day me health allows me to).

One step at a time, eh? Good luck, and all the best!
bert

• Like 1

4 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

Only picked up the bass once this year while being deep in the depression  that follows me around and just won’t quit

Good luck with everything CH666 - here's to a better year!

*Raises glass*

"Sláinte" 👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

Wish you all the best in the year to come chris ☝️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that I am retired I can see that there must be quite a lot of fellow musicians in the same situation 

so I intend to form or join a band made up of these retired souls with a view to rehearsing in the day, when others cannot preferably at someone’s house so no studio fees

doesnt sound very radical but I don’t think many people do this 

• Like 2

keep working on my playing

be more structured and disciplined in my practice

do my first open mic

broaden my musical horizons

49 minutes ago, gareth said:

Now that I am retired I can see that there must be quite a lot of fellow musicians in the same situation 

so I intend to form or join a band made up of these retired souls with a view to rehearsing in the day, when others cannot preferably at someone’s house so no studio fees

doesnt sound very radical but I don’t think many people do this 

Pity you're probably far away, 

• Like 2

On 25/12/2019 at 06:52, stewblack said:

I can't afford to indulge in resolutions. I have to do the right thing now not promise myself that I will do it in the future. Experience teaches me that I'm the kind who replaces action with intention. 

This is me but I've never been able to put it into words. Thank you and I am going to try to use it to make 2020 a very good year, or at least a more satisfying year...so many things to do and at 73 I need to get going.

• Like 3

I've never made NY resolutions before but I'm thinking about applying myself to a few things.

I had shoulder surgery in March and 8 of the last 9 months I have worked consistently hard at my physio doing more than I was asked but the last month I haven't been able to maintain it - I ran out of steam and feel low about the prospects of getting back to be able to swim long distances again - I need to try and get a more positive head on again and get back on it.

Bass playing - I only just started so plenty to do on that front. The idea came out of the blue as I wanted to start recording some of the songs I've written and it struck me I'd completely overlooked the role of the bass in everything I've ever done - I was so focussed on the lyrics, singing and underlying chords and more recently programming percussion - the idea has opened up my world a lot. So - start getting those songs recorded to a better standard.

A few years ago I started using an old diary that was being flung out by my daughter - a decent leather bound thing - completely unused. I hate wasting paper or throwing it away so I started a daily writing routine and got a fair bit of good new writing from it - I definitely didn't manage to write anything like every day but what I did learn was that putting your d*mn pen on the d*mn page is just about the most important thing you need to do if you want to be creative - it's often not that easy to write anything but somehow, if you stop judging and editing what you write as you go along, you can sometimes bring on that flow state and the creativity and ideas start to come - the mistake often made imho - is to wait for the ideas to come and for a creativity mood and then think you can pick up your pen and start working at it - that does happen occasionally but it's nowhere near as effective imho as a general strategy if you want to be creative - so - try and adopt a daily or regular writing regime.

I keep trying to learn Spanish - partly because I was training for this 31km/8hr swim in Spain
http://www.ultraebre.com/index.php/en/

but that's out of the window now because of my shoulder - over 3 years of training down the pan but Spanish is great sounding language to my ears.

• Like 1