Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5p sound

DanD

Hi guys, I have both a TRB6p and TRB5p from the early 90's, my question is why do these basses sound so different acoustically? The specs state that they are built using exactly the same materials yet the 6p has so much more focus and dynamic response than the 5p. I understand that plugged in the difference in pickups is a factor by unplugged its very clear there is a difference. It just the fact that the 6p has more mass? any answers appreciated.

Edited by DanD
Spelling

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Hi guys, I have both a TRB6p and TRB5p from the early 90's, my question is why do these basses sound so different acoustically? The specs state that they are built using exactly the same materials yet the 6p has so much more focus and dynamic response than the 5p. I understand that plugged in the difference in pickups is a factor by unplugged its very clear there is a difference. It just the fact that the 6p has more mass? any answers appreciated.

Who is to say that different human ears dont perceive sound differently. If not, how are you going to prove it. ? 

Edited by bubinga5

Are they both series 1 models with the offset hi-mass bridge as in the pics below? As mentioned above, every piece of wood is different in grain structure and mass. The additional overall mass of the 6 will also be a factor. And even small difference in construction and setup can make a significant difference to the sound. Taking the attached pic as a reference here are a few other factors:

1. Width of neck - the wider neck of the 6 will most likely be generally stiffer than the 5. Also the construction of the neck is slightly different in that the two darker strips are wider apart.

2. Neck to body join - these are both neck through in construction but the bottom cutaway on the 6 is much deeper than the 5.

3. Intonation/saddle position - in the pic, the saddles on the 5 are further forward than the 6. If yours is similar, the smaller length of string between saddle and anchor point on the 6 will make it sound tighter.

4. Strings - are yours both wearing the same strings and of similar age/brightness?

1380142330_YamahaTRB5p-TRB6p.jpg.01c8c86de34a437f500c76484a423c71.jpg

Edited by ikay

1 hour ago, ikay said:

Are they both series 1 models with the offset hi-mass bridge as in the pics below? As mentioned above, every piece of wood is different in grain structure and mass. The additional overall mass of the 6 will also be a factor. And even small difference in construction and setup can make a significant difference to the sound. Taking the attached pic as a reference here are a few other factors:

1. Width of neck - the wider neck of the 6 will most likely be generally stiffer than the 5. Also the construction of the neck is slightly different in that the two darker strips are wider apart.

2. Neck to body join - these are both neck through in construction but the bottom cutaway on the 6 is much deeper than the 5.

3. Intonation/saddle position - in the pic, the saddles on the 5 are further forward than the 6. If yours is similar, the smaller length of string between saddle and anchor point on the 6 will make it sound tighter.

4. Strings - are yours both wearing the same strings and of similar age/brightness?

1380142330_YamahaTRB5p-TRB6p.jpg.01c8c86de34a437f500c76484a423c71.jpg

Yes they're both like the ones above, excellent points! I guess maybe those subtle differences really add up, the 6p always gets complimented for great tone whereas the 5p doesn't , heard quite a few over the years and always the same. Thanks for your reply iKay 

Edited by DanD

38 minutes ago, pete.young said:

When I bought a TRB5P from the basschat legend that is @bassmanady , he had three of them and we sat down and played them all one after the other to see which one I liked best. And they were all subtly different, despite being in theory identical basses with only a difference in the colour.

I agree with you about subtle differences between identical models, the thing is the difference isn't subtle between the 5p and 6p, the 6p is so much more responsive and focused, even unplugged. Thanks for your reply.

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Wood is organic material and, as such, every piece is different. One should never expect absolutes with it.

Agree, I once tried out 3 identical Les Paul’s, one sang, one thudded, the other projectile vomited. 

I bought the singer!