Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Basses?! Woo!

AndyTravis

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

Why are people so cross with Ashdown over this? It could be bad business, the basses may not sell. But unless you're a shareholder, why are you so upset about it? 

Nobody is mad at Ashdown, we're discussing their basses. This is a bass discussion forum so it would seem like the right place to do it.

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah - really elegant. That control layout is a shame...but love the shape

See for me, that bottom horn just doesn’t sit with the rest of it. Headstock too, if I’m honest. The Rumour though, very nicely thought out. 

On 30/04/2020 at 14:17, Stub Mandrel said:

It's possible to take plenty of classic design hints and still come up with something that looks new and awesome, while having enough familiarity not to offend.

I think this looks far better than many 'boutique' basses:

image.thumb.png.fc2c871a45c558465656c56c85e92b01.png

Aargh! My eyes!👀

Nice colour though. 😉

On 30/04/2020 at 14:17, Stub Mandrel said:

It's possible to take plenty of classic design hints and still come up with something that looks new and awesome, while having enough familiarity not to offend.

I think this looks far better than many 'boutique' basses:

image.thumb.png.fc2c871a45c558465656c56c85e92b01.png

Actually...

A41106FE-AEA4-4C02-98E1-20AD1C335B6E.jpeg

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Again that’s nonsense. We are not talking about the validity of a boutique custom builder producing a high end P or J (like Molloon or Overwater, Lull, Sadowsky etc), but a midrange, likely Far East factory build of a product that is little different to dozens of near identical manufacturers’ output.

For £300-ish and made in China Squiers are very good indeed, as are MIM/MIJ Fenders, which are more at the Ashdown price point. 

It’s a crowded market place - with no differentiation (bog standard looks, std Fender colours, passive) how will they get market share? Because they make amps?

Hang on, is the argument that they aren’t being innovative or that you think they’ve made a bad business decision? 😂 

you can’t tell from a photo what the bass will sound or feel like, yet you’ve decided it’s not worthy to the market. Now that is nonsense.

27 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Hang on, is the argument that they aren’t being innovative or that you think they’ve made a bad business decision? 😂 

you can’t tell from a photo what the bass will sound or feel like, yet you’ve decided it’s not worthy to the market. Now that is nonsense.

As you seem to fail to understand what anyone is saying about churning out another clone in a crowded market segment, the answer is both. No doubt you’ll be able to continue arguing the point but it will be with yourself.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Doesn't that prove the case, the Ashown that isn't essentially a clone is visually the most interesting?

Judging by  Classicvibes post above it actually is......but just not a Fender. 😉😂

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Nobody is mad at Ashdown, we're discussing their basses. This is a bass discussion forum so it would seem like the right place to do it.

But lots of people seem to be. No need for the sarcasm really, it was a fair question.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

For me, an Ashdown bass should reflect the 30s styling of their logo, perhaps a stainless steel body resembling the Chrysler building...

I said this a while ago in a drunken chat with Lee at Ashdown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/01/2020 at 13:01, Machines said:

I'm unsure if these instruments have any particular unique selling point that other brands at this price point may have.

The fact they are backed up by Dan Lakin to me means they will be great instruments, but so far they look very anonymous in an ocean of Fender clones. (with Lakland at least, the oval bridge is distinctive).

The previous fate of the 'D Lakin' basses was quite tragic also, they seemed to not sell very well anywhere despite being good instruments. I would expect these to be on par with Skylines in general, if not made by the very same factory (and i'd wager they are).

Are those Basses gone ? They seemed to be a very good bass but had a horrible headstock from what I can remember 

• 7 months later...