Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Basses?! Woo!

AndyTravis

Just now, Cuzzie said:

Yeah mine was a second hand not long ago, other expenses came up.

We would look the nuts

Meant to be meeting up with Lee at the Manchester bass show - as far as I know these basses will be there.

I’m going to wear a long coat - I know the back streets of Manchester like nobody else...

12 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Meant to be meeting up with Lee at the Manchester bass show - as far as I know these basses will be there.

I’m going to wear a long coat - I know the back streets of Manchester like nobody else...

When is the Manchester Bass Show Andy? Might bring an empty gig bag for a quick getaway.

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Personally I dont have a problem with the headstock.  It works well in context of the rest of the guitar - ties in and balances nicely with the shape of the upper horn.

c14a4711c39a9b244c12ffa0f2104590.jpg

Nope, just can't get on with it. I'd have to do this.

PSX_20200217_190850.thumb.jpg.058179d49b398601737d626486d65481.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Personally I dont have a problem with the headstock.  It works well in context of the rest of the guitar - ties in and balances nicely with the shape of the upper horn.

c14a4711c39a9b244c12ffa0f2104590.jpg

Hmmm, that just looks like I tried to iron it. You should see my shirts if you like that type of thing...

It's not for everyone that's for sure, but it's the same old thing.  They try something different and it has limited appeal and doesn't sell - they play it safe with the same old Fender shapes and they don't sell because it's just another clone at an extremely saturated price point.  It's a bit of a no win I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The Lodestone is a crummy old Fender shape though, like they wanted to design some super modern instrument but didn't have any ideas so just took a router to a J bass!

That's a fair comment, it is in essence still a traditional J.

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I know I keep saying his, but the Fender Performer really needs a reissue. No-one's ever copied it.

But look at that gorgeous shape and what a neck! It's 53mm at fret 20 compared to 63mm for a Jazz bass. (Jag SS is 60mm).

I played one in Mansons in Exeter. The neck was lovely. In fact, the whole bass was good to play as long as you didn't accidental catch a glance at it :)

I think it is an acquired taste which I didn't acquire and judging by the rarity, nor did a lot of other people, so I am not surprised they didn't reissue it.

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think it is an acquired taste which I didn't acquire and judging by the rarity, nor did a lot of other people, so I am not surprised they didn't reissue it.

I think it's simpler that that - people who bought Fenders back then wanted them to look like Fenders.

Even these days look at the flack the Starcaster gets...

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I know I keep saying his, but the Fender Performer really needs a reissue. No-one's ever copied it.

But look at that gorgeous shape and what a neck! It's 53mm at fret 20 compared to 63mm for a Jazz bass. (Jag SS is 60mm).

1883000516_Performer(1).thumb.JPG.fc92a7a97b94112e2bb0caff874b4cb2.JPG

Now you're talking! One of my favourite body shapes ever. Definitely needs a reissue.

y3y2wtmcq1m9lf0pache.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I think we should run a “design a bass” thread - much like the monthly photo thread. 

We all seem to recognise how ‘wrong’ other people get it, we all seem to know how to make things ‘better’.

I reckon we’ll end up with 100’s of entries nobody will agree upon.

”if only it had 17.5mm spacing...I don’t like bolt on necks...I prefer p/j pickups...”

Edited by AndyTravis

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I think we should run a “design a bass” thread - much like the monthly photo thread. 

We all seem to recognise how ‘wrong’ other people get it, we all seem to know how to make things ‘better’.

I reckon we’ll end up with 100’s of entries nobody will agree upon.

”if only it had 17.5mm spacing...I don’t like bolt on necks...I prefer p/j pickups...”

And the winner is Leo from California! 

papergc,500x,w,f8f8f8-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u13.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1