Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Basses?! Woo!

AndyTravis

On 23/12/2019 at 17:27, AndyTravis said:

Well...they were sort of fender shaped...and had EMG j pickups...But they had all funky carves and bevels...

The headstock could’ve been better. I think the lack of shape to the bottom of it was an error of judgement for sure. 

I'm still loving that headstock !

12 minutes ago, stu_g said:

I own a Lodestone very quirky but plays nicely and has EMG pickups and if I remember rightly a spector tone pump preamp,not sure if they were made in the same Czech factory as the spectors.

IMG_20191228_124144.jpg

IMG_20191228_124148.jpg

IMG_20191228_124152.jpg

IMG_20191228_124158.jpg

Now that I like. Not seen one before. Get behind me GAS.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bassman Sam said:

Now that I like. Not seen one before. Get behind me GAS.

See. Different. Didn’t sell as well as expected. They also did a more affordable range. With a sea foam P type...nice

EF41A9D9-BCE1-4A4D-B6DE-77C212CF911C.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, stu_g said:

I own a Lodestone very quirky but plays nicely and has EMG pickups and if I remember rightly a spector tone pump preamp,not sure if they were made in the same Czech factory as the spectors.

IMG_20191228_124144.jpg

I believe so, yes....

• Like 1

I hope they do well but I was expecting them to be in the 250-350 price range, a good value and good quality MIM competitor was what I had thought they would do when I saw the first pics. At almost a grand I just don't see it working but hope I am wrong, Ashdown are a good bunch and I want them to do well. Didn't see a lefty there though :( A lefty Telebass would be very welcome if just anyone will make it... Or do I have to ask Limelight?! 

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised these basses are passive and I wonder who designed / makes the pickups.  I had figured that with all their electrical engineering experience they'd be active with an Ashdown pre-amp and pickups.

I'm quite interested in a sub 1k J bass , I wonder how these will compare to the Warwick/Sadowsky Metro Express range which will be around the same price point.

Not my thing but the Low Rider is interesting.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

On 15/02/2020 at 19:40, TheGreek said:

Expect the build quality to be high and the Customer support to be amazing...

Unless they are by the team that did the Superfly amp in which case the design will be poorly implemented, the build quality questionable and the customer support non-existent.

• Like 2

They look good, interesting to see how they feel and sound. Wish Ashdown nothing but the best with this venture. 

Those of you who prefer different shapes have plenty of other options from other manufacturers. 

For me, the budget doesn't stretch to 1K basses, but in a while there might be a second hand one I can afford. 

Looking forward to a review from a Basschatter. 

In an ever more crowded marketplace, I wonder how they're going to get on.  The Low Rider "Fenderbird" is kinda interesting but everything else is very derivative - P, J and more than a whiff of Reverend when it comes to the Saint (cheeky name?) and at that price point there's going to be a lot of competition.

I wish them well, but I just wonder if the market wants/needs yet another P and J clone for a grand a pop.  Also if I've got a grand to blow, I'd rather just get a Reverend than Ashdown's Saint.  Have you seen that purpleburst 3 pickup Triad model?  Phwoar!

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 20:25, stu_g said:

IMG_20191228_124144.jpg IMG_20191228_124152.jpg

I would gladly give house space to that, or any other Lodestone J... but I would absolutely have to take a bandsaw to the headstock. Everything else about the bass is great, the sculpting, the preamp, pickups, the lot... but with that headstock it's like Michaelangelo's David wearing a BoJo mask.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I would gladly give house space to that, or any other Lodestone J... but I would absolutely have to take a bandsaw to the headstock. Everything else about the bass is great, the sculpting, the preamp, pickups, the lot... but with that headstock it's like Michaelangelo's David wearing a BoJo mask.

Personally I dont have a problem with the headstock.  It works well in context of the rest of the guitar - ties in and balances nicely with the shape of the upper horn.

c14a4711c39a9b244c12ffa0f2104590.jpg

• Like 2