Why become a member? ×

How loud is an Ashdown ABM 500 EVOIII?

PaulWarning

Used my Ashdown at the weekend, I had it on 3/4 volume, 3 o clock, (gain on full) and it wasn't cutting thought that well, at half time I changed to my Trace 200 watt series 5, gain on full, volume on 2 out of 10 and boom, instant cut though.

Are Trace amps really that much louder, is it a different type of volume control (i.e the Trace is on full at a lot lower setting),  or is there something wrong with my Ashdown?

2 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

8ohm or 4 ohm cab (s)? Did you have the shape engaged? I found it sucked too much mid out and became spongy with it in - it didn't sound so loud. Did you try it with the valve switched off? May be the valve dying on you?

4 ohm, I use two Fender V2 cabs, no shape engaged and valve switched off

I have found that on the earlier ABMs that I’ve used that they seemed to need the volume pushed, which is very unlike the current 600 which is mahoosively loud from the off.

Additionally in comparison to TE, I’ve always found them really loud and my theory is that that is due to the in-baked voicing - the TE sound just seems to hit a hi-mid frequency that is really audible, whereas the Ashdown stock sound seems less focused/biased in that area.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

If there is something you are not able to compare, it is the knobs. Depending on the designer the volume may follow the numbers, but usually not. You need some measuring equipment to define the output. If the gain is lower in another amp, the output is also much lower. Be open and use your ears while doing settings. Preamps have individual behaviour, and all settings are practically different.

Show me two different brand amps that have similar eqs, and I will show you two similar 10" speakers... Don't even try, they just are different with similar marketing jargon.

I sent my old one back to Ashdown as some thing in the head became loose and it lost a massive amount of volume.  It came back very quickly, fully repaired for free and was definitely loud. I then bought a IV, that was louder still... 

Give Ashdown a bell, they're very helpful.... probably in the New Year as I'm guessing they will on the razzle this time of year.  

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

I sent my old one back to Ashdown as some thing in the head became loose and it lost a massive amount of volume.  It came back very quickly, fully repaired for free and was definitely loud. I then bought a IV, that was louder still... 

Give Ashdown a bell, they're very helpful.... probably in the New Year as I'm guessing they will on the razzle this time of year.  

22 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

sounds like it needs a simple service ,

it did got back to Ashdown a few months ago to repair a fault on the valve drive, I'm assuming any fault would have been spotted then

On 23/12/2019 at 18:09, 2elliot said:

This is how I had my amp set up, at the time I think I was using a ridiculously powerful Spector...

DSC_0013_1.JPG

You def need the mids back in I think. A lot of the perceived volume comes from them. And try it with the compressor out too - when I had one I thought it killed the dynamics too much. The other thing is try cranking the gain up and don't worry about the VU meter, just use your ears for signs of clipping the input. I had a Spector when I had my ABM500 and tbh I felt it wasn't a great pairing - the amp seemed happier with a more old school bass like a Precision with a bit more mid in the inherent tone. The Spector always sounded a bit dry and clanky to my ears. 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2