Why become a member? ×

String suggestions

MikanHannille

Hi all,

I'm looking to try some new sets of strings. I mainly play Dunlop Super Brights Stainless Steels 45-125. I love them, the tone, the feel. Only problem is I sweat excessively to a point that I think I have hyperhidrosis (although not officially diagnosed). The brightness at max, only lasts me around 2-3 gigs. I tried wiping it clean every after song or so but still doesn't make a difference. So looking for something new to try.

My only requirements are the gauge should be 45-125 and should be stainless steels.

Open for suggestions of what brands or even any alternatives that I can do to prolong the life of my set.

Thanks! Happy holidays everybody!

Guessing you’re using a five string? I can recommend Elixir strings - they could be the perfect solution for you. They do a .45-.130 set but also sell single .125 strings. They aren’t cheap but they last forever. I’ve got sets over a year old! 

• Thanks 1

Have you tried leaving some silicon gel sachets in your base case? The one's that you find in most electronic goods packaging. They effectively "suck" any excess moisture from the air, and are small, so ideal for leaving in your instrument case instead of throwing them straight in the bin.

Worth a try.

3 hours ago, Jonse said:

For me, DR Hi Beams are the longest lasting round around. Having you tried using something like Fast Fret before and after you play?

Been using Hi Beams before Dunlop. I think they last just a bit longer but for the price I moved to Dunlops. Might give them a go again. I have tried them Fast Frets before but to no avail.

3 hours ago, ped said:

Guessing you’re using a five string? I can recommend Elixir strings - they could be the perfect solution for you. They do a .45-.130 set but also sell single .125 strings. They aren’t cheap but they last forever. I’ve got sets over a year old! 

Yes. Doh!! Never even considered that they might do single strings! I had a look recently and I thought I give them a go but the 130 b string put me off. Now that you mentioned that... 😂

56 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Have you tried leaving some silicon gel sachets in your base case? The one's that you find in most electronic goods packaging. They effectively "suck" any excess moisture from the air, and are small, so ideal for leaving in your instrument case instead of throwing them straight in the bin.

Worth a try.

I have, but perhaps I need some extra ones as the ones I have are just those packs that came with the cases.

That's silica gel. They work for sometime but should be treated in an oven once in a while.

Bass Player magazine discussed this and someone suggested alcohol based hand cleaners before the gig. They dry the skin somewhat and help to keep the strings a little longer bright. Beware of the ones that have some odor, or check that it is OK from your bandmates...

You can buy larger silica gel packs from Halford or similar that are used to prevent windscreen misting up in old cars.  One of those would have a greater effect than the little sachets.  I had one in a leaky old Skoda that absolutely did the trick, there was a colour indicator on it so you knew when to dry it out again.

You definitely need to have more than one in your case, 3 or 4 should be enough.

Those alcohol based wipes are a good idea too. You can get the glasses/screen cleaning wipes from the likes of Aldi or Lidl for about a £1 a box of 50. Handy for carrying in your case too.