Why become a member? ×

Fender CSJazz Pick up Hum

Piers_Williamson

I am lucky enough to own two Fender CS Jazz basses.  One a 66 lollypop bass evidences very little single coil hum. My pride and joy, a 61 stack knob jazz displays a lot of hum within about a foot of my amp (I like playing with the neck pickup dialed back a couple of notches and appreciate this might be one of the reasons for the hum).  Does the Custom Shop reproduce the old habits of Jazz's faithfully.  i.e. are Stack nob jazz's louder on the hum front?

15 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I am lucky enough to own two Fender CS Jazz basses.  One a 66 lollypop bass evidences very little single coil hum. My pride and joy, a 61 stack knob jazz displays a lot of hum within about a foot of my amp (I like playing with the neck pickup dialed back a couple of notches and appreciate this might be one of the reasons for the hum).  Does the Custom Shop reproduce the old habits of Jazz's faithfully.  i.e. are Stack nob jazz's louder on the hum front?

From the few Fender CS shop basses I have tried (about 5), all but one of them had a good amount of single coil hum. Cracking basses though.

Edited by thodrik

I have a 64 CS, and knocking back either pickup introduces a little hum.

I have the Duncan Vintage Stacks in 2 other jazz basses and love them - do think about swapping them from time to time but the 64 sounds so lovely as it is, I’d rather keep as is and live with the minor hum.