Why become a member? ×

Best combination of basses you’ve owned

KingPrawn

Evening Chatters

As a avid reader of the forum. I love to read about others experiences of basses and how they connect with them. I think basically there’s some trigger or root experience that defines our tastes and how we judge our bass of choice  

So it made me thing about the best combination of basses I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately due to youthful ignorance I’ve moved them on 

so in 1990  I owned 

1. Warwick Thumb

2. Wal Fretless 

3. Kubicki Factor

Incredible combination and in all honesty I couldn’t afford to purchase them now , however I have the memories. 

I agree with the root experience trigger thing. 

My first bass was some of terrible EB0 copy, virtually unplayable but it lit the fuse. It was followed by my first 'proper' bass, a Yamaha Attitude Special, after a few years I traded that in for a new Yamaha BBG5s and played that solely for about ten years. I then bought a Yamaha RBX374 and used exclusively for a couple of years. Then the Internet came along and I've bought, sold and used all sorts (OK I haven't sold as many as I've bought) but every time I try a Yammy it's like 'coming home'. 

Anything that feels Yamaha-esque feels instantly comfortable and I'm sure that's from the first three real basses being Yammies. 

Nowadays I regularly use these pair:

Japanese Fender Jazz (roundwound strings)
Squier VM fretless Jazz (flatwound strings)

Since I read a lot, its really handy to "know" the neck and where/what my left hand is doing, so it makes sense to have the same body size and shape. And, they sound markedly different, so a good contrast for different music/pieces. If needs be, I can play anything on either (Sir Duke on the fretless is a bit of a PITA though!) so for important gigs I take the pair, knowing that if one or other fails, has an electrical issue, breaks a string etc I can switch to the other as a backup.

• Like 1

I like lots of different options that inspire me to play, experiment and write songs. My current favourites have that covered.

American Dimension Standard V HH

G&L SB2 (with flats)

Fretless Ibanez SRF505

I should add that I'm a big fan of the two pickup, two volume control set up. Both the dimension and G&L have a great balance between pickups that I love.

I am blessed!

For me, it’s never been as good as it is now. I currently own:

1. Dingwall Super PJ5

2. Dingwall Super P5

3. Wingbass PJ Custom 5

4. Sandberg Electra VS4

5. MTD Kingston Super 5

I’m looking to sell the MTD and, if all goes to plan, order a Dingwall Super J in the new year. Then I’ll have reached terminal velocity as far as my bass collection goes!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CameronJ said:

For me, it’s never been as good as it is now. 

Same here, I couldn't be happier! I currently own:

1. Status Graphite S2 Classic bolt-on 5-string headless;

2. Status Graphite S2 Classic bolt-on 4-string headless;

3. Warwick Streamer LX5;

4. Ellio Martina Forza 5-string;

5. Fender MIJ 1975 Jazz Bass reissue with some killer mods;

6. Ibanez MC924 (1981);

7. Ibanez MC924 (1983, my YOB bass!);

8. Ibanez RS924;

9. Ibanez ATK305. 

And then there's a weird 2-string fretless Longbow and an acoustic fretless Cort NTL-B, but together with the ATK these don't get any use at all. The two Statii are the ones I play most frequently, though the Martina is the One Bass that I will never sell. 

Here are all the basses I’ve played since 1994ish!

1. Ibanez Roadstar II - it was far too heavy for me at 14 years old

2. Dean PJ (Edge?) - much lighter to play and I played it weekly for about 10 years. It was battered and bruised and covered in stickers and I kept the same set of strings on it for the first 8 years! Gave it away for someone to learn on.

3. Yamaha RBX270 - Borrow this one from my dad to try it out. Nice bass but uninspiring to play.

4. Yamaha RBX374 - wanted more punch so went active! Kept it for a couple of years but just felt ‘meh’. Got bored and sold it. Sick of swapping batteries!

5. Squire Classic Vibe Jazz - bought here on basschat. Fell in love with it. Swapped out the control plate for an S1. Glad I went back to passive! Not planning on changing it any time soon.

So there you have it. Nothing expensive. The CV was £200 used. Now amp and effects, well that’s a different story...

The best combination of basses I've owned would absolutely be the current line up. 

1: 10 String Bee Bass (Binky)

2: 6 String ACG Salace E Type

3: Warwick Single Cut Thumb 6

4: Warwick SS1 Streamer 6

5: De Gier Elevation 6 (1 of 2)

6: De Gier Elevation 6 (2 of 2)

7: Conklin USA 8 String

8: 9 String ACG Recurve 

9: 1989 Yamaha TRB6P 

10: 7 String Overwater Progress III

11: 7 String Overwater (1st 7 Chris made)

12: 5 String 'BayBee' Bee Bass

13: Aries 6 String 'Bajadera' 

14: 1979 Ibanez Roadster

15: Tanglewood Baron 6 String (1 of 20 made)

I don't take these basses for granted and feel very privileged to have these, they are all exceptional instruments built by some of the finest luithers out there.

• Like 1

For me, it will be these 2 "fretless basses".

1. LEDUC Moaï U-Contrebasse 6 (EUB).

2. NOGUERA Yves Carbonne Signature 8 Fretless.

Being a fretless player, I'm just awaiting the third one, which is a(nother) LEDUC U-Basse 8 Fretless.

I think it will end my fretless bass quest or, simply put, my bass quest as I don't play fretted basses, even if I had a lot and still have two. Check the "For sale" section in the next days. 😉

My 'packages' has been as follows 

Hondo II Precision copy

Aria SB600 & Hondo II (which I had ripped the frets out of by now)

Aria SB600 and Wal Custom Fretless four string

Wal Custom Fretless

Wal Custom Fretless and Washburn Status copy

Wal Custom Fretless

Wal Custom Fretless and Status Energy 6 string

Wal Custom Fretless and Status Energy 5 string (swapped on here)

Wal Custom Fretless

Wal Custom Fretless and Harley Benton 7 string

Wal Custom Fretless, Harley Benton 7 string and Harley Benton acoustic bass

The truth is, however, that, since buying the Wal in 1986, everything else has been a toy that I have played with to 'try' something rather than contributing anything substantive to my 'arsenal'. The Wal has been 'the' bass for 33 years and I have no intention of changing it. My only 'GAS' is for a decent 5-string fretted bass. A Wal would be perfect but is financially unjustifiable for me. I can do almost anything on the fretless and the only thing I cannot do is get a decent slap or tapping sound and the truth is that, whilst I see the players mastering these techniques and think I should deal with them, once I am past the wow factor, I actually don't like much of the music played using those techniques. There are loads of recordings I have done with the Wal in loads of different genres and people only know it is a fretless if they are told or if I consciously whip out the 'mwah' for a moment. :lol:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CameronJ said:

For me, it’s never been as good as it is now. 

Likewise. More than happy with my current crop. Each one has its own job:

Shuker J five - the modern hi-fi one.

Sire V7 five - the workhorse Jazz one.

Wal Pro 2E - the treasured possession and investment (in need of servicing, if I'm honest).

Westone Thunder 1A - the P bass, on steroids.

The JayRay - the fretless one.

Ibanez BTB 6-string - the jazzy ironing board.

Tanglewood ABG - the acoustic one.

The only GAS I have is pipe-dream lottery win stuff: a Wal 5-string and a '65 Jazz. Best part of 20 grand there. :(

Edited by Rich

Having previously fallen foul to the GAS attacks of owning several different colours of the same model, I now have a nice variety for what I do.

1. Fender Jazz
  2. Fender Precision
  3. Gibson Thunderbird
  4. Rickenbacker 4003
  5. Hofner Verythin Long scale
  6. Upright bass

plus a couple of other basses for mucking about on but these 6 cover all I really need.

• Like 1

I currently have a '71 Fender Mustang (covers all rock/blues/Americana territory), an ACG Recurve 32" (plays itself and has very flexible active preamp, great for recording) and a Takamine TB10 (archtop fretless bass, great DB substitute). Plus my 3/4 old German DB.

I also have a 62RI Jazz and Gretch hollowbody bass that are - to be frank  - surplus to requirements as the three (electric) basses mentioned above are all I realistically need

Edited by Clarky

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

if I consciously whip out the 'mwah' for a moment. :lol:

Would this not be in breach of your injunction?  😁

Pretty happy with my team at the moment.

Maruszczyk Jake covers 5 string Bon Jovi tribute needs, with a modded Sterling 5 as back up.

Gibson Les Paul Jnr DC covers my blues band requirements, with Aria Pro II CSB 'Black n Gold' as back up as they sound 'similar'.

Then on the bench I have my Squier JV Precision ('cos that ain't going nowhere), a Squier VM Mustang, my Frankenstein Honcore (my go-to for practice at the moment) and a newly acquired Hofner Ignition Club intended for those really bad back days.

Stagg EUB and electro-acoustic are semi-retired but on a retainer in case I ever need them. 

I loved my Bass Collection's back in the 80's / 90's, I had an 801 and a 602 fretless, but I guess times change, in recent years I have managed to replace both but they are not my go to basses.

TBH I have never found the perfect bass and, as a long time sufferer of the dreaded GAS, I somehow doubt I ever will! The perfect bass is always just around the next corner!

Like a few others I suspect, my favourite combo is my current stable. Went through just about everything out there before arriving at this trio.

1) Wal six fretted (2015)

2) Wal six fretless (2017)

3) Fodera Emperor Standard Classic 5 (2019)

The Wals give me the sound I have in my head when I think of how I want my bass to sound. The Fodera is a truly versatile beast in Fender clothing, for when a more subtle aesthetic is required.

I have all I need but I still gas for other instruments. Looking to add a Ken Smith 6 next year.

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Likewise. More than happy with my current crop. 

Wal Pro 2E - the treasured possession and investment (in need of servicing, if I'm honest).

The only GAS I have is pipe-dream lottery win stuff: a Wal 5-string and a '65 Jazz. Best part of 20 grand there. :(

Fixed that for you @Rich.. 😁

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎅

• Haha 1

By the sounds of things 2020 is going to be a GAS free year and the classifieds forums will be dead soon! 

Just to follow suit I think my current line up is my favourite to date..... 

Rickenbacker 4003

Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro

Fender MIJ 70s RI Precision

Squier VM Jaguar

Ovation B768 elite

Harley Benton PB50 (although I bought this to have a go at modding and its in bits at the mo) 

However.......if an Ovation Magnum, Peavey T40 or G&L L2000 came up at a reasonable price I'd be very tempted and GAS would be back in full force!!