Why become a member? ×

Considering getting an Epiphone Ripper bass

Mike Bungo

8 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

There's a Ripper on eBay at the moment for £800.  It needs work, a lot of work, but it comes with a new neck and at this price and factoring in the cost the work t required, you could get a sterling bass for well under the market value.

I’ve seen it but it just needs to much... 👍

On 01/01/2020 at 02:34, Mike Bungo said:

2 owners from new ❤️

That looks superb, especially for its age - and it's a fairly early one (with the original case I think).  These have a unique tone (a fat Ric as Andy put it - accurately) and look very cool indeed.  I'm not sure about the scratchplate - I thought that they were black one ply.  Mine is but it's a replacement anyway!  Lovely to see one of these that isn't modded - mine was massively modded in the late '70s and early '80s and no longer has the characteristic Ripper tone.  That said, I still love it - it plays incredibly well  

IMG_1442.jpeg

• Like 2

I remember playing a natural finish one (can't remember whether it was a Gibson or an Epi) in a shop a few years back. I'd always had a soft spot for them, but when playing it I couldn't shake off the impression that I was playing a huge wooden spoon. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

That's money that could probably be better spent elsewhere.

What's the big selling point or distinguishing attributes of an Epi Ripper?

Blue

They look cool...

The epi ones are probably nothing that special, but In my limited experience...the Gibson ones are lovely, sound like a meatier Ric.

50 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

They look cool...

The epi ones are probably nothing that special, but In my limited experience...the Gibson ones are lovely, sound like a meatier Ric.

Got it, so it a personal preference. I have 3 Gibson basses and haven't gigged any of them in a while. 

Blue