Why become a member? ×

Considering getting an Epiphone Ripper bass

Mike Bungo

If memory serves I think these had a PJ configuration rather than the original soapbar pups, so from a tonal point of view they’ll have a different vibe about them to the Gibbos. Other than that I can’t be of much help. I’ve a ‘76 Ripper that’s been beaten and modded to hell so won’t sound like either of the above configs! It’s pretty light though!

• Thanks 1

I've had on/off GAS for a Ripper a Grabber or a G3 for years, probably since seeing Mike Dirnt with a G3 back in the Basketcase video in around '93.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the stars have never aligned so that I've seen one for sale and had the funds at the same time.

First time I ever saw one would have been around 1975 in the window of the British Gas showroom in Edinburgh. Actually,  there was a music shop - McLarens(?) - on the upper floor and they must have had an arrangement to display some stock in the street-level window.

The Ripper had a cherryburst finish and I can remember the body looked huge compared to, say, a Fender. It lasted two weeks in there until one night the window got done in and the bass stolen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NikNik said:

First time I ever saw one would have been around 1975 in the window of the British Gas showroom in Edinburgh. Actually,  there was a music shop - McLarens(?) - on the upper floor and they must have had an arrangement to display some stock in the street-level window.

The Ripper had a cherryburst finish and I can remember the body looked huge compared to, say, a Fender. It lasted two weeks in there until one night the window got done in and the bass stolen.

So even back in 1975 you had G.A.S?

On 23/12/2019 at 09:58, Skybone said:

I'd love to get my hands on a Ripper, be it a Gibson, Epiphone or one of the 70's MiJ "lawsuit" versions.

Unfortunately, they are a bit like rocking horse poo.

Ack, there are no MiJ lawsuit versions, so that'll be why they'll be as rare as wooden horse poop.

On 22/12/2019 at 21:13, Mike Bungo said:

Firstly what are people’s thoughts and secondly does any one have one for sale 🧐 Thanks Mike

There's a Ripper on eBay at the moment for £800.  It needs work, a lot of work, but it comes with a new neck and at this price and factoring in the cost the work t required, you could get a sterling bass for well under the market value.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Ack, there are no MiJ lawsuit versions, so that'll be why they'll be as rare as wooden horse poop.

In the early 1980s, I had a Japanese defretted black Ripper copy which sounded great in a ska band. I can't recall with certainty what name was on the headstock besides not being Gibson, possibly Columbus. I've also seen online pics of Kimbara, Ibanez, and Shaftesbury labelled Rippers. I expect there were others.

I'm not claiming there was any lawsuit.

• Like 1