Why become a member? ×

Basses For Sale forum - from outside UK

dmccombe7

38 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

The Basses for Sale section says it is the best place to sell basses in Europe. Why are we even debating selling or buying outside UK, I must be missing something.

For clarity I spent my youth in UK, living in NL for at least 35 years.

The post wasn't meant as a debate. Its more a fact finding thread.

Having seen so many gorgeous basses on BC that are based in other countries I was simply curious to know if its financially and practically a worthwhile option. BC for sale is a great place to buy in UK but i've never ventured any further than Thomann for items and had issues with the kit which had to be returned and cost me in transaction fees both ways.

I've been looking for a Kramer DMZ4000 or 4001 and i have seen some abroad mostly in US and just curious as to whether i should look more closely at them and whether others on BC had experienced any problems

Dave

• Thanks 1

I've bought, traded and sold hundreds of instruments all over the world in the last 3 decades. My last buy, a Noguera Yves Carbonne Signature 8 Fretless was bought from an Italian guy living in Ireland, but the bass was still in Italy. After the usual tractations, the bass was sent through a packaging center near the brother's seller place who was in charge of the bass. Everything went smooth and easy. It was a more than 3.000 Euros bank transfer to the seller account who is not even a BassChat member.

The insurance is simply mandatory each time and doesn't cost that much, depending on the the insured value and the courier, it can vary from 15.50 Euros using the post of Luxembourg (for 3750 Euros really insured) to more than 100 Euros using the leader couriers which are not always the best choices.

Investigate a lot before buying and ask for specific photos... Don't hesitate to ask for feedback too.

I'm not an overconfident guy, so I do this with great care.

Ok, l'm not in the UK, but in Belgium. Check my feedback if you want, Dave. 😉

• Like 2

Buying abroad is not an issue, until you have a problem!

If you do and have bought used and privately it gives etras to deal with. I recently bought a bass with a truss rod fault. I wouldn't blame the seller as I don't think that they knew and were convinced it was fine so stopped communicating. luckily it was bought though Reverb, who arranged return and repayment.

Of course you have have exactly the same issues buying in the UK but it is just an extra layer of complication to deal with so extra care is needed

BC'ers have always been great but I would only buy though BC if there was a really healthy feedback thread or I could try it.

Edited by Pinball

9 hours ago, owen said:

I wish someone had told UPS weeks ago. It all ended well but I was VERY close to recalling the bass cos they said that it might just be destroyed at customs.

The change went into effect on November 26, so prior to that date it still needed a certificate. 

10 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I've bought, traded and sold hundreds of instruments all over the world in the last 3 decades. My last buy, a Noguera Yves Carbonne Signature 8 Fretless was bought from an Italian guy living in Ireland, but the bass was still in Italy. After the usual tractations, the bass was sent through a packaging center near the brother's seller place who was in charge of the bass. Everything went smooth and easy. It was a more than 3.000 Euros bank transfer to the seller account who is not even a BassChat member.

The insurance is simply mandatory each time and doesn't cost that much, depending on the the insured value and the courier, it can vary from 15.50 Euros using the post of Luxembourg (for 3750 Euros really insured) to more than 100 Euros using the leader couriers which are not always the best choices.

Investigate a lot before buying and ask for specific photos... Don't hesitate to ask for feedback too.

I'm not an overconfident guy, so I do this with great care.

Ok, l'm not in the UK, but in Belgium. Check my feedback if you want, Dave. 😉

Had a read thru your feedback @Hellzero and that is quite a feedback thread you have going. Looks like you are an addictive buyer / seller. Good to see such a great response plus the best part ........ a reply from one of my bass heroes Neil Murray. :lol: 

• Haha 1