Why become a member? ×

Leather strap with buckle, not loops for adjusters?

dorsetbod

Many years ago I bought a 3inch wide plaited leather strap, which adjusted by means of a large buckle. Basically, it's a very wide belt. I'm looking for a replacement, but can't find one anywhere. Pretty much all the leather straps I see are adjusted by having a skinny thin strap loop through a series of cutouts in the thicker main strap. I really don't like this method of adjustment, purely from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Anyone able to point me at someone who makes leather straps which use a buckle to adjust? Or any other method that doesn't involve a thin strap looping through a ladder of cutouts. I know I could go fabric or neoprene etc, but I prefer leather.

Thanks,  

Thanks all - @Paul S, I've seen that style, thought "Yay, that's what I want" , then saw that the other pictures show that it's still using the skinny loop style at the other end.

Looks like I'll have to go custom - will check out the suggestions.

Cheers,

I've also just been looking for a strap and came across this one:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gibson-edge-comfort-guitar-strap

Does have a buckle adjust as per your OP, and is designed for heavier instruments such as a bass.  I did like this one but didn't go for it precisely because of the buckle - I normally transport my bass in a soft case with strap attached at one end only and thought the buckle might dig in to the body a bit.  Might be worth a look.

On 27/12/2019 at 21:57, Ashweb said:

I've also just been looking for a strap and came across this one:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gibson-edge-comfort-guitar-strap

Does have a buckle adjust as per your OP, and is designed for heavier instruments such as a bass.  I did like this one but didn't go for it precisely because of the buckle - I normally transport my bass in a soft case with strap attached at one end only and thought the buckle might dig in to the body a bit.  Might be worth a look.

Was going to mention this too. Metal parts on straps will nearly always at some point do some damage to the instrument. ( I know this from bitter experience many years ago.) Also I’ve seen many straps where the damned buckle seems to be on the player’s shoulder area too, not great. I now avoid these and go for the type not liked by the OP.

On 22/12/2019 at 18:33, KK Jale said:

Bearstraps is another really good buckled strap maker. 

Nice looking straps but the one I bought must not have been finished correctly, as it left dark stains on light clothing after playing a sweaty gig.  It has since stopped however I'd imagine there are better options out there at the same price point.

On 22/12/2019 at 18:04, dorsetbod said:

Many years ago I bought a 3inch wide plaited leather strap, which adjusted by means of a large buckle. Basically, it's a very wide belt. I'm looking for a replacement, but can't find one anywhere. Pretty much all the leather straps I see are adjusted by having a skinny thin strap loop through a series of cutouts in the thicker main strap. I really don't like this method of adjustment, purely from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Anyone able to point me at someone who makes leather straps which use a buckle to adjust? Or any other method that doesn't involve a thin strap looping through a ladder of cutouts. I know I could go fabric or neoprene etc, but I prefer leather.

Thanks,  

@dorsetbod My son's g/f's dad has started making leather goods, custom made by hand and doing guitar straps. If you would like to contact him, here's his facebook link;

https://www.facebook.com/sussexhandcraftedleather/

It's a very small - one man and his dog - operation and he's keen to get started, at very competitive prices!

Edited by KiOgon
link edited

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2019 at 22:38, Jack said:

As you'll consider other methods, then RightOn straps are what you want. I have 3 and wholly recommend.

+1. 

I have bought the wide strap specially designed for bass guitars, the one with a F clef logo. It’s really nice and comfortable.