Why become a member? ×

Decisions decisions !!

RJB280

Ok fellow bass players, here is my dilemma. I'm currently using a Trace Quatravalve which I have had for many moons and I love the sound it makes to bits. As valve heads go, this is about as light and portable as you could wish for however, I'm not as young as I used to be and lugging it around at the end of an evening is beginning to get to me.  My problem is this, what an earth is there out there that even comes close to replicating the sound of a good valve head but doesn't give me a double hernia every time I try and pick it up. If anyone out there has any ideas I would be very grateful to hear them.

thanks 👍

Thanks for the response guys, the Ampeg PF 50t is a good shout however, I should have mentioned that I already have one. It's a lovely  little amp that ticks loads of boxes but I have found it wanting ( only just) when it comes up against a drummer, a Hammond player and a very loud guitarist !! 

The handbox looks interesting, I've never heard of this stuff, has anyone gigged the valve heads ? 

4 hours ago, RJB280 said:

Thanks for the response guys, the Ampeg PF 50t is a good shout however, I should have mentioned that I already have one. It's a lovely  little amp that ticks loads of boxes but I have found it wanting ( only just) when it comes up against a drummer, a Hammond player and a very loud guitarist !! 

The handbox looks interesting, I've never heard of this stuff, has anyone gigged the valve heads ? 

Walshy has incoming I believe and Water of Tyne has one its all on the thread, I believe 🎅🏻

• Like 1

19 hours ago, obbm said:

Get a Handbox WB 100 Amp Russ and lightweight cab.

This, my current set up with a Barefaced 610. The Handbox is incredible and has replaced my DB751. Yep that good

OOOOFFF

Edited by walshy

On 22/12/2019 at 07:40, RJB280 said:

If you already have an Ampeg PF50t, and like it, have you considered slaving it up with something like a Baby Sumo?

That's what I'd do with my PF20t if I ever gigged again.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 22:02, rubis said:

If you already have an Ampeg PF50t, and like it, have you considered slaving it up with something like a Baby Sumo?

That's a very good idea (assuming you use more than one cab, so can run two amps). A lot cheaper than a new valve head and if you're happy with the sound of the PF50, it should give you more of what you like.

Edited by Dan Dare

You should definitely try a Tecamp Puma 900 (if you can find one) or the EICH equivalent. I had the same problem as you, still have my Trace but it's just too heavy - I also have an ELF but that is not what you are after. I use Vanderkley cabs for what it's worth.