Why become a member? ×

NBD - Another "golden rule" gone...

BassAgent

So I tend to have some "I'll never buy" kind of thoughts now and again. I'll never buy a Rickenbacker, I'll never buy a bass with flatwound strings, I'll never buy a Stingray... Some of them have gone pretty quickly. I have owned a flatwound strung bass for a while now (my '71 P with LaBella flats, and I looooove it).

A few days ago, another one of those promises went: I thought I'd never get a short scale bass again (I used to own a short scale Gretsch semi hollow), especially not a Mustang because it's too much like a swampy Precision bass. And then I had an afternoon with a few bassist friends, one of which has a '67 Mustang, and one has a JMJ Mustang. And then I knew it. I had to get a Mustang. A JMJ Mustang. 

So I got on Thomann's web site and there was a B-stock JMJ there for a great price, and after having made a call to Thomann I knew it: this was my bass. So I ordered it. And boy, is it amazing. The neck is gréat, the pickup sounds amazing, it feels fantastic and the stock Fender flatwound strings are just what this bass needs. What a great instrument and what a cool addition to the basses I already own. So now I have four Fender basses (and five non-Fender basses).
IMG_9732.thumb.jpg.5b383c240f80644b1598a1a3467b12e8.jpgIMG_9733.thumb.jpg.4e53bf5ed971a14c40b7d86d4ad114c7.jpgIMG_9730.thumb.jpg.9a7f29deaad269124c44aa1497ee3428.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The JMJ is a great bass it works well with rw strings with the tone control actually being effective at reducing just enough top end- nice gradual taper to the pot. 
Fender are bringing out a new version for the upcoming namm in black and the early pics look great!

• Like 2

Some folks describe a 35” scale B string as being piano like. I’d say that’s a similar way of describing a 34” E string over a 30” short scale E but the short scale may have a warmer less piano like quality but that’s not to say it’s muddy. I have rounds in my jmj and it sounds great. 

It may be worth mentioning that the jmj is constructed differently to the new short scales with a thicker headstock, more tradition p type neck rather than a slim j and these differences add up to a very capable sounding bass. I think of it as a mini p and it’s not failed me yet in any context I’ve used it with flats or rounds. 

• Like 2

For me, it's nothing like a Precision tbh. I compared them next to each other in rehearsal yesterday and although they certainly have their similarities, but the Mustang is a lót "muddier", while the P is tighter with more sustain. Both definitely have their qualities and are super complementary. 

I can't record demos of both now; the P is currently strung with rounds because I'm doing a Green Day tribute gig on Christmas :)

15 hours ago, Davebassics said:

I do have a minor DIY build ambition for next year. Wonder if mustang parts are easy to come by?

There aren't a lot of aftermarket options if you're looking for Mustang specific parts. The bridge you'd have to get second hand as Fender don't sell them separately and there are no direct aftermarket options if you're after the classic look. Pickups can be purchased easily enough, but if you want Nordstrands or similar, often they don't come with the pickup shells (ugh!). The control plate and pickguards can be found easily online. 

Necks and bodies are harder to come by though. I think because there aren't any off the shelf replacements like you get for P and J basses, necks and bodies just don't really get separated. 

Your best bet is probably to put your DIY efforts into something else and just buy a Mustang. 

If it should be helpful to anyone, there’s my 2006 Japanese Mustang with La Bella flats on ‘Twenties’, and a Lakland US 44-64 (60’s Precision) with La Bella flats on ‘Illusive Love’ & ‘Counting’ on this EP:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0AmIDyMB21QYP78FX3IHd5?si=Cx1j39caQbWzS14xdgy8oA

Obviously there’s a bit of ‘production’ here, but generally we leave the Bass well alone..... because those basses sit in the mix so well. Just FYI, ‘My World’ was my 55-01 with US Bart electronics and La Bella Gold White Nylons.

Si