Why become a member? ×

Simple Rhythms

RCMJ

Hi Folks,

I've started a youtube channel with the idea of helping beginners absorb simple rhythm patterns and learn the notation at the same time, as well as get some practice playing with a (hopefully) more interesting and realistic drum part which changes a little as the track goes on, with fills etc.
The idea is you simply play along to the track and the notation pops up more frequently as the track goes on, all on one note so as to focus on the rhythm.

The format is always the same - two bars count, 8 bars pattern, repeated 8 times, the drum part changes a little throughout, just like a real drummer.

I've used a pick, but hey, whatever works!

Four tracks are up so far, Beat one, the offbeat of one, beat one and the offbeat (one &), and also beat two...more will follow, but I hope some might find these useful for now.

Here's "1 &"

Feedback welcome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, here's the latest one, which is just "One & &" a basic syncopation. As usual all played with a pick on my Gibson Midtown. 

https://youtu.be/fsc2X9Czt0U

More to follow!

I'm really hoping some beginners will find these videos useful to get some simple rhythms internalised and help build a vocabulary. Please give me a shout if you're using them...and anyone feels like posting a video of themselves playing along or improvising using the tracks that would be amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

OK here's my latest..One 2 & Rhythm:

As well as learning some basic rhythmic patterns, I am hoping these videos could also help those who are getting their pick technique together, in terms of absorbing rudimentary upstrokes/downstrokes etc

• 4 weeks later...

OK folks, here's my newest video:

..it's part of a playlist, and I have nearly completed all the possible permutations of quavers over the first two beats in a bar of 4/4.

I'll post a fuller explanation once I've completed the rest, but these patterns will give anyone the "building blocks" for recognising more complex rhythms.

• 2 weeks later...