Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Rickenfaker?

King Tut

40 minutes ago, prowla said:

I'll be there!

I'll bring along my latest faker too...

piEBDX6.jpg

(For the record, it's the one on the right which is a real Rickenbacker and a couple of folks had a go on it at the last SE Bass Bash!)

Hope you do come to the Bash as I'd love a shot on that - as well as Stewie's HB of course 😉

56 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

The description on Thomman says semi hollow. Intrigued to know if that is the case, will it be head heavy, will it be reasonably light?  It can’t really be called a Rickenfaker, it’s just a nod towards the Ric style.

Definitely solid body.  Fella through Stirling way got his last Thursday. Says his weighs 8.10lb and balances quite well both on the knee or on a strap. 

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

The description on Thomman says semi hollow. Intrigued to know if that is the case, will it be head heavy, will it be reasonably light?  It can’t really be called a Rickenfaker, it’s just a nod towards the Ric style.

Never known Thomann be inaccurate with a description. Don't  know what weight of the instrument is but the total weight of package (according to the shipping note) is 5kg. So can't be that heavy. 

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Never known Thomann be inaccurate with a description. Don't  know what weight of the instrument is but the total weight of package (according to the shipping note) is 5kg. So can't be that heavy. 

It looks like the older ones were semi-hollow and the new ones are solid, I'm guessing the description is still for the old one, but as you say, Thomann are usually on the ball. I'll be interested to see what arrives. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Maude said:

It looks like the older ones were semi-hollow and the new ones are solid, I'm guessing the description is still for the old one, but as you say, Thomann are usually on the ball. I'll be interested to see what arrives. 

Could the new one be chambered?

On 20/12/2019 at 20:27, PJ-Bassist said:

I wasn't a member when the whole Rickenbacker thing happened.

What constitutes a "fake", was it directly cloning the body and headstock shape?  If so are these sufficiently different that they are not in infringement of any copyright.  And if that's the case can they be bought and sold on this forum??

Yes - various elements of the Rickenbacker design are registered trade marks - the body, headstock, truss rod cover, tailpiece profile etc. This bass resembles a Rick but the only part that's a direct copy is the scratchplate, which curiously is not a registered design.

All this being the case, I'm sure it'd be fine to sell them on BC, as they wouldn't attract the ire of Mr Hall.

Not a huge fan of this, tbh - I think it's a shame they used the ugly, afterthought scratchplate design & generic cheap & nasty Chickenbacker hardware. Although - it occurs to me, if you binned all that, this might be an interesting basis for a 50s style 4000 project. Do I feel a New Year project coming on?

Edited by Bassassin
Punctuation compunction

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Yes - various elements of the Rickenbacker design are registered trade marks - the body, headstock, truss rod cover, tailpiece profile etc. This bass resembles a Rick but the only part that's a direct copy is the scratchplate, which curiously is not a registered design.

All this being the case, I'm sure it'd be fine to sell them on BC, as they wouldn't attract the ire of Mr Hall.

Not a huge fan of this, tbh - I think it's a shame they used the ugly, afterthought scratchplate design & generic cheap & nasty Chickenbacker hardware. Although - it occurs to me, if you binned all that, this might be an interesting basis for a 50s style 4000 project. Do I feel a New Year project coming on?

Here's one of the EU registered trademarks.

image.png.cd77efd2cfc7231178c77c98df585ad0.png

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/010177038

HB (and Rocktile) have decided to avoid that by just plonking a different headstock on their copies.

I don't have it to hand, but RIC also registered the distinctive upper edge curve of the body.

Just now, stewblack said:

that is unusual for Thomann to give a misleading description.

Happening fairly regular of late. The bridge and tuners are listed wrong on the "Enhanced" models and the photos of the progressive models are showing the old style bridge.

Be nice if they were chambered, you could chose the shape of the cut out 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I will find out how it balances by the end of the day

New bass delivered on Christmas eve = proper Christmas day 😃  We await your verdict with interest (well I do anyway, and look forward to a try-out at the SW Bash on Sunday 5th April 🙂)

Did a search of the EU registry and it appears only headstocks/trc & brand name are registered - so presumably Rick body shapes aren't trademarked in the EU. Considering the breadth of the US TMs it's not unreasonable to think those were submitted but subsequently rejected.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/100+100+100+100/Rickenbacker

As an afterthought - wonder what happens in the UK following Br*x*t?

OK so, first impressions are almost all positive. I buy B-Stock whenever i can so I don't worry about the first ding, it's already done for me! In this case it's a small mark to the back of the neck. Not a problem, I'll soon add more to keep it company.

It balances beautifully, as has been said above, both standing and sitting. The neck goes all the way from the bottom from to the top which I always like in a bass. Seriously though the double cutaway makes the neck look like a landing strip. It's only 22 frets but looks way longer somehow, Extremely comfy to ply up the dusty end which i like a lot.

This was bought for it's looks, that's subjective so no point going into how utterly gorgeous it is, those who disagree will only get shirty with me. Neck is straight, plays very nicely. Pick ups are pretty punchy. Not up there with my BB or my Bruce Thomas but those are freakishly powerful pups. Bidge pick up pleasantly pokey (I usually dislike them - often too weedy) and the tone pots actually have a noticeable effect throughout their travel - not just on/off like some.

Bridge seems solid and easy to adjust, pick cover not in my way but that's either going to clash with your playing style or it isn't and it's only a couple of screws if you hate it. No buzzes or hums, tuners firm and responsive and accurate. No sharp fret ends, no buzzy frets, no dead spots, intonation is good.

Downsides? Well it came set up and in tune (those crazy Germans) but the action is set way too low for me and the strings are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzingy rounds which I dislike. I get why it's set up to within a half a thou of the fretboard - many people like a low action and often give a positive review of a bass, based  partly on how low that can be. Makes sense to ship it really low and have everyone saying Wow the action was great straight out the box rather than I had do a bunch of work to get it right which is off putting for those who can't adjust stuff themselves.

But that is literally all I can fault it on. I prefer  a higher action and less lively strings - not exactly damning criticism is it?

Oh - is it chambered? Well I rapped my knuckles on it and frankly that highly scientific test was inconclusive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Did a search of the EU registry and it appears only headstocks/trc & brand name are registered - so presumably Rick body shapes aren't trademarked in the EU. Considering the breadth of the US TMs it's not unreasonable to think those were submitted but subsequently rejected.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/100+100+100+100/Rickenbacker

As an afterthought - wonder what happens in the UK following Br*x*t?

The brexit bill was that existing EU legislation is adopted into UK law; presumably it will remain so until it is specifically changed.

Yes, I think the body shapes, pickups, etc. aren't covered this side of the pond.

Edited by prowla

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

OK so, first impressions are almost all positive. I buy B-Stock whenever i can so I don't worry about the first ding, it's already done for me! In this case it's a small mark to the back of the neck. Not a problem, I'll soon add more to keep it company.

It balances beautifully, as has been said above, both standing and sitting. The neck goes all the way from the bottom from to the top which I always like in a bass. Seriously though the double cutaway makes the neck look like a landing strip. It's only 22 frets but looks way longer somehow, Extremely comfy to ply up the dusty end which i like a lot.

This was bought for it's looks, that's subjective so no point going into how utterly gorgeous it is, those who disagree will only get shirty with me. Neck is straight, plays very nicely. Pick ups are pretty punchy. Not up there with my BB or my Bruce Thomas but those are freakishly powerful pups. Bidge pick up pleasantly pokey (I usually dislike them - often too weedy) and the tone pots actually have a noticeable effect throughout their travel - not just on/off like some.

Bridge seems solid and easy to adjust, pick cover not in my way but that's either going to clash with your playing style or it isn't and it's only a couple of screws if you hate it. No buzzes or hums, tuners firm and responsive and accurate. No sharp fret ends, no buzzy frets, no dead spots, intonation is good.

Downsides? Well it came set up and in tune (those crazy Germans) but the action is set way too low for me and the strings are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzingy rounds which I dislike. I get why it's set up to within a half a thou of the fretboard - many people like a low action and often give a positive review of a bass, based  partly on how low that can be. Makes sense to ship it really low and have everyone saying Wow the action was great straight out the box rather than I had do a bunch of work to get it right which is off putting for those who can't adjust stuff themselves.

But that is literally all I can fault it on. I prefer  a higher action and less lively strings - not exactly damning criticism is it?

Oh - is it chambered? Well I rapped my knuckles on it and frankly that highly scientific test was inconclusive.

Well, Rics are supposed to have a low action and a hint of fret buzz (or at least that's how I like them!).

17 minutes ago, prowla said:

Well, Rics are supposed to have a low action and a hint of fret buzz (or at least that's how I like them!).

Absolutely, it does Ric very well! And if I had it all gnarley through an overdriven valve amp I'd be rattling away happily, but it needs taming a little for my taste that's all.