Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Rickenfaker?

King Tut

I wasn't a member when the whole Rickenbacker thing happened.

What constitutes a "fake", was it directly cloning the body and headstock shape?  If so are these sufficiently different that they are not in infringement of any copyright.  And if that's the case can they be bought and sold on this forum??

Thomann has been selling these for a few years now. The photos on its site show good detailing such as a set neck, body and neck binding, decent hardware and finishes. For the money they look very good. Obviously the aesthetics have been adjusted to avoid litigation. I've read they don't sound much like a Ricky but for less than a tenth of the price I think they're a stylish alternative to ubiquitous Fender copies. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Thomann has been selling these for a few years now. The photos on its site show good detailing such as a set neck, body and neck binding, decent hardware and finishes. For the money they look very good. Obviously the aesthetics have been adjusted to avoid litigation. I've read they don't sound much like a Ricky but for less than a tenth of the price I think they're a stylish alternative to ubiquitous Fender copies. 

Didn't the one they sold before have a hole? Sure I saw a photo with a hole top half of the body. 

28 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

I bet a black would look good! 

I'm afraid it was a mistake saying that 🤣

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_rb_414bk_classic_series.htm?sid=68996b485894d5bcc89c4cce97a8a99d

1 hour ago, King Tut said:

Body wood is Mahogany which would probably make it quite a dark sounding bass,

Even strung with flats I don't remember it being particularly dark sounding. Pickup positions and strings trump body wood every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Mike has spoken. You can have a bash on mine at the next bash mate. 

I'll be there!

I'll bring along my latest faker too...

piEBDX6.jpg

(For the record, it's the one on the right which is a real Rickenbacker and a couple of folks had a go on it at the last SE Bass Bash!)

Edited by prowla
  • Like 2