Why become a member? ×

NBD - Alembic Content

hiram.k.hackenbacker

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Oh yeah it was a fancy one with cocobolo lid and lights...so it was an SC deluxe.

Crazy heavy for a small bass

Ah, I think he may have had a cocobolo Series II as well, IIRC. It’ll have been that one. Don’t think he had a Deluxe, his were the real deal (Deluxe being below Series I & II). The Series basses often weigh a ton. They had a Zebrawood Series II SC in the Bass Gallery a while back; I went to lift it off the stand at a slightly uncomfortable distance, and didn’t really put much into the lift, not expecting much resistance. It literally didn’t budge. 😂When I moved closer to lift it properly it weighed an absolute ton. How anyone could have comfortably worn it I have no idea. 

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Ah, I think he may have had a cocobolo Series II as well, IIRC. It’ll have been that one. Don’t think he had a Deluxe, his were the real deal (Deluxe being below Series I & II). The Series basses often weigh a ton. They had a Zebrawood Series II SC in the Bass Gallery a while back; I went to lift it off the stand at a slightly uncomfortable distance, and didn’t really put much into the lift, not expecting much resistance. It literally didn’t budge. 😂When I moved closer to lift it properly it weighed an absolute ton. How anyone could have comfortably worn it I have no idea. 

Was an SC of some format...

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Oh yeah it was a fancy one with cocobolo lid and lights...so it was an SC deluxe.

Crazy heavy for a small bass

Yup! This one in Bass Gallery - which is just a GAS inducing drool in every other way - is the weight of a neutron star...

2_64b54a99-65ba-4dae-8d54-d8fe765fcaac_large.jpg?v=1563552571

Loz definitely had some Series Basses if it was his. Series basses have the dummy humcanceller in between the pickups (although to confuse matters my Triple O wasn’t a Series but had a dummy between the pickup purely for cosmetic purposes).

There are 2, or arguably 3 if you include the Brown Bass, Stanley signature models, but above that you also have the Series I and II basses which are what Stanley actually uses (ironically Stanley doesn’t use the Signature models, any more than Mark King used his). 

The SC Standard has twin humbuckers and 4 knobs, with thin walnut stringers in the neck and typically walnut or maple front facings. The  Deluxe has Twin purpleheart neck laminates and typically has maple or rosewood facings front & back , IIRC. 

The Series steps it up again, with what are actually single coils (in covers that look like humbuckers), hence the middle humcanceller. They have more sophisticated eq and typically more expensive woods and more neck laminates, plus Series II have LEDs and even more comprehensive electronics, although everything is an option on every model at Alembic.

The Brown Bass is a specific model roughly based on Stanley’s early ‘brown’ Alembic. It’s mahogany and walnut or myrtle, IIRC, with twin humbuckers. They’re typically relatively light.

FWIW the Stanley Clarke, although there are actual Signatures (Standard, Deluxe, Brown Bass) is really only a body shape, the Small Standard (as opposed to the Standard, which is the big body shape). So if you play a Small Standard body shape (like Stanley does), it may or may not be a Stanley Signature, if that makes sense. And Alembic being totally custom, you’ll often see one-offs which combine features.

http://www.alembic.com/prod/basses.html

FWIW I think they build the best basses in the world, but YMMV.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup! This one in Bass Gallery - which is just a GAS inducing drool in every other way - is the weight of a neutron star...

2_64b54a99-65ba-4dae-8d54-d8fe765fcaac_large.jpg?v=1563552571

That’s a Balance K (named after the customer it was designed by/for, I believe) with an Omega cutout. Lovely shape. Although I really wanted a Triple Omega when I got my custom, ultimately the shape was it’s downfall as it became uncomfortable to play standing due to the weight, but was uncomfortable to play seated because of the shape, so I had to get rid. If I’d got a Balance K I’d still have it. 

This was my Triple O:

3BDA9937-D293-49AF-A16E-01D75032D73C.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Nice info @4000. Thanks 👍

No probs. I love Alembics and used to spend forever on their site. Since I had to sell mine - and now can’t stretch to another - it’s been a bit too painful to be honest! 

Congrats on the bass, it’s a corker!

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2019 at 18:19, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm finally back in the Alembic fold after a fairly long absence.

I have wanted a Spyder for some considerable time and had all but given up on the the chances of getting one after an initial quote ran into five figure territory - and it didn't start with a '1' either!

It's a limited run of 50, but they have been available for over a decade and Alembic still haven't made all of them yet.

Also, they have not been made sequentially either. The last time I checked the following were still available, although I think one of them has been commissioned since:

22 of 50
27 of 50
28 of 50
29 of 50
35 of 50
48 of 50 

It's bit of a beast and I accept it's not for everyone, especially those that have bad backs, but I have to say it doesn't feel that heavy. I think part of that is that it's well balanced.

It's 10 years old this year and has been a Case Queen for all of its life. It's set up ridiculously low and really is everything I hoped it would be. That said, I haven't put it through my gig rig yet, so I have that to look forward to in 2020.

The case is an absolute monster (see photo for comparison with a standard size case) and the bass in its case weighs just under 42lbs.

C9A7B99C-FF7A-4F30-B2B6-CE1956C123E8_1_201_a.jpeg

06AFF169-0A4A-4378-8F0A-F20CE5466C50_1_201_a.jpeg

BF1F004E-795E-4D55-B78D-076ABB1730AD.jpeg

D314A83A-21A6-4DE3-A8BC-D35FCAAFB06D.jpeg

108EDFD9-143F-4A8A-8A6F-85B17F00FA9D_1_201_a.jpeg

E8D31D99-2085-4424-8415-C14AD515775D_1_201_a.jpeg

E4154727-E5F1-40F7-B3A6-2D36689245C6.jpeg

60A5DDC2-A4E4-400C-B6AA-430DF3FC807A.jpeg

Absolutely stunning. Congratulations! Does it run in stereo? THE key to the Alembic sound IMHO - certainly to Entwistle's.

A Series (or similar) Alembic is without doubt my ultimate dream bass. Probably never gonna happen 😂

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Some interesting stuff about Entwistle’s basses here:

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/bass/bass7585.html

Normally it’s only the Series basses that run in stereo, but as with everything else Alembic, there are doubtless exceptions. 

John’s Alembic tone is just stellar, one of my absolute favourite tones.

I think some of the Signatures can run in stereo, and the Anniversary. 

John's WGFA at Shepperton tone was one of the first that really made my ears prick up as a kid. It just sounded like nothing else. Still doesn't!

• Like 2

On 22/12/2019 at 10:04, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Absolutely stunning. Congratulations! Does it run in stereo? THE key to the Alembic sound IMHO - certainly to Entwistle's.

A Series (or similar) Alembic is without doubt my ultimate dream bass. Probably never gonna happen 😂

No, it doesn't. Just a standard mono output jack.

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What do the little switches do next to the tailpiece? 

Ah, every day a lesson learned.

Apparently, it does have a stereo output after all. One of those switches toggles the output stereo/mono and the other one is the on/off for the side LED’s.

F6566A1A-117B-4DA1-AF56-4A75F8C474D1.jpeg

• Like 1

As above, it certainly will run in stereo and this is one of the major advantages of the Anniversary electronics package, along with separate volumes rather than volume and pan as with Sig.  I prefer Anni to the Sig package - the former is reasonably close to Series 1 electronics (but with humbuckers rather than single coil as far as I remember).  To activate the stereo, you'll just need a stereo jack to twin mono jacks - I had one made up for about £20 I think (good cable and a nice job).  Of course, if you don't have them already, you'll need two rigs - it all adds to the fun! 

Edited by three
  • Like 1

On 21/12/2019 at 12:48, AndyTravis said:

Nope. Was a Stanley but posh...

6AE27D71-052E-4A3F-B8D7-B538C95EACDE.jpeg

Nice to see that again Andy - side and front red LEDs if I remember correctly, and a very lovely coco top and back.  It went to live in Birmingham with the guy that replaced Dave Swift in some major Midlands jazz orchestra (I believe).  As with most small bodied short-scales, a bit of a nightmare on a strap - these things really don't balance well (though that doesn't stop me!)

6 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Good luck trying to find one for sale. It took me long enough 😂

Although there are couple of new ones left to commission from Alembic as above.

Mmm.......I remember seeing one for sale around 8 years ago and it was priced at $10,000.,that is a bit out of my price range.

1 minute ago, RedVee said:

Mmm.......I remember seeing one for sale around 8 years ago and it was priced at $10,000.,that is a bit out of my price range.

Bass Central in Florida had at least one in stock for quite a while. Just checked them and they don't have any at the moment.

Neither does Will Gunn who has very close ties with Alembic - in fact, he doesn't sell any other brand. His archive shows two that have been sold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Argh well, I think I will just have to wait for a used one to turn up somewhere, though that is a long shot. I do prefer the pointed headstock compared to the V headstock, or is the V headstock a different model and not a Spyder?

The headstock shape is an option available to whoever commissions the bass from Alembic. Other options are the colour of the LED’s, whether to have front, front/side or presumably no LED’s, whether to have continuous wood back plates and to choose the number of strings. Most are four, but I believe there is at least one 8 and even a fretless, although quite why you wouldn’t want frets on one of these is beyond me.

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The headstock shape is an option available to whoever commissions the bass from Alembic. Other options are the colour of the LED’s, whether to have front, front/side or presumably no LED’s, whether to have continuous wood back plates and to choose the number of strings. Most are four, but I believe there is at least one 8 and even a fretless, although quite why you wouldn’t want frets on one of these is beyond me.

Didn't John file his frets down to the board on his Spyder so that he could get super low action, or was that his Buzzard?. Anyway if you are looking to sell it any time soon let me know, though I think that would be another long shot!