Why become a member? ×

VIGIER v WARWICK

B.Flat

I have been fortunate to own a Vigier Series11 passion bass, and am a current owner for the last ten years of a Vigier passion 111..Both truly wonderful instruments. In my honest opinion. much better than the series IV bolt on Arpege with the all singing and dancing Glockenklang preamp I had briefly.I will hasten to add it took me about 15 years to find the passion 111 bass!!! They don't come up that often and the series 11 basses less.Patrice Vigier made and makes superlative basses and once you dial in your sound you won't look back..On the Warwick front..I have owned a 1990 thumb 4 bass which was a truly fantastic bass (why did I sell it) then bought a 1998 thumb which was total pants!! 

14 hours ago, wright/watt said:

I have been fortunate to own a Vigier Series11 passion bass, and am a current owner for the last ten years of a Vigier passion 111..Both truly wonderful instruments. In my honest opinion. much better than the series IV bolt on Arpege with the all singing and dancing Glockenklang preamp I had briefly.I will hasten to add it took me about 15 years to find the passion 111 bass!!! They don't come up that often and the series 11 basses less.Patrice Vigier made and makes superlative basses and once you dial in your sound you won't look back..On the Warwick front..I have owned a 1990 thumb 4 bass which was a truly fantastic bass (why did I sell it) then bought a 1998 thumb which was total pants!! 

The Series III are lovely looking, though I don't like the big 'Vigier' logo on the bodies of some of them. 

I actually have a Series IV Arpege with that Glockenklang pre amp. After 7 years I am finally getting a hang of the EQ system! Lovely bass but I do think that the bolt on nature of it makes it less 'special' than the neck through models. In terms of general fit and finish though it is pretty flawless. 

• 5 months later...

I recently bought a Passion IV 5 string. It does have a unique sound from the Barts and DG preamp. What I really like is how even the sound is. No quiet strings or dead spots. I always thought the body shapes were a bit weird but the feel, balance and sound make you forget that! Oh and the build quality is superb. Almost as good as my Mayones. IMO you can’t compare Warwick to Vigier. 

2 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

I recently bought a Passion IV 5 string. It does have a unique sound from the Barts and DG preamp. What I really like is how even the sound is. No quiet strings or dead spots. I always thought the body shapes were a bit weird but the feel, balance and sound make you forget that! Oh and the build quality is superb. Almost as good as my Mayones. IMO you can’t compare Warwick to Vigier. 

Barts and DG(?) has it been modified?

16 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Shouldn't it be Delano/Vigier's own pickups and 2x Glockenlang EQ- 1 per pickup? If it's original.

Not that there's anything wrong with modding them 😉

Ha ha I’m getting confused with my Spector LT , equally awesome!! 

45 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:
46 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Ha ha I’m getting confused with my Spector LT , equally awesome!! It’s definitely not one eq for each pickup. Think that’s the Arpege. 

It is the Arpege. It is pretty cool to be able to add loads of bass and treble to the bridge pickup but keeping the front pickup full of mids. There are some really great sounds in there but the potential for unnecessary fiddling with the EQ mid gig is huge. Most of the time I just treat it as a straight three band EQ.

See, even I'm confused! Is the passion S4 just bass/mid/treble 3 EQ?

Re: The Arpege EQ, I have a Warwick Fortress Masterman 5, and that has Bass/Treble on each half of its Twinjazz pickup (plus blend and volume) and that can produce some interesting tonal variations, so the Arpege ought to be very versatile. 

21 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

See, even I'm confused! Is the passion S4 just bass/mid/treble 3 EQ?

Yes, unless it is a special order. The pickups on a Passion are so close together that a separate EQ for each pickup is not really going to have the variation of the Arpege which has pickup spacing closer to a traditional Fender Jazz. 

49 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Yes, unless it is a special order. The pickups on a Passion are so close together that a separate EQ for each pickup is not really going to have the variation of the Arpege which has pickup spacing closer to a traditional Fender Jazz. 

Ah.. I must've played a special one, then. I was sure it was a Passion, and it definitely had 2x EQs