Why become a member? ×

Octave suggestions for £100 and under

Friskydingo

Wait for an Aguilar Octamizer to come up used! Best one around IMO, although the MXR M288 Bass Octave gets a lot of love too. I’ve never tried one as the Octamizer does all I need. Both should be attainable within/near your budget

If you liked the Boss OC2 then the Valeton OC-10 will deliver that tone in a compact package for a very good price. Review with sound samples in the gear review section.

I'd personally avoid the Boss OC3 (it was very meh).

The MXR 288 BOD is good but often has a very noisy circuit.

A used COG T16 can also be picked up within your budget - I really liked it set with clean blend for fattening up my sound.

I've actually managed to replace them all with the octaver effects patch on my Helix HX Effects, which would make sense if you're wanting to do a lot more than just octave, although it does do octave down very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a MXR Bass Octave Deluxe for sale for £90.  PM if interested, I wouldn't have said the circuit was noisy but since I'm selling the pedal I suggest you look at impartial reviews :)

Like Mr @Al KrowI bought an HX effects and am now using the Bass Octave effect included with that, I believe it's modelled after an EBS Octave pedal.

This may be sacrilegious to some on here but I have an EHX octave multiplexer that I really like the sound of. I should point out the only octave pedals I have played with to date are the aforementioned, the TC electronic sub'n'up and my Electro-Harmonix microsynth so I may be misinformed here but you can get one cheap it's worth a bash!

38 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

Different choice. What pedal is it close to, mxr? Boss? I don't like the sound of the pog or other synthy pedals more basic octave

It isn't synthy that's for sure. Although it does have a modulation control which can produce some unusual sounds, I think it's a very clean octave. I put some sound samples up on another thread. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/302205-if-you-could-only-choose-one-octave-pedal/?do=findComment&comment=3928264

Edited by stewblack
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was positively surprised by Valeton OC-10. It sounds quite close to OC-2 when used on it's own. I didn't like how it mixes with other effects though. 

Among other octavers I've tried I love COG T16. If you can a used one, go for it. 

My other favourite is Malekko Downer. Once again, outside your range, but maybe you will find a used one.  Out of all the octavers I've tried it has one of the best low ends, other two that are similar are Aguilar Octamizer and DOD Meatbox. However Malekko has number of other features that Aguilar and DOD octavers don't. For instance ability to control any of knobs with an expression pedal. I was able to dial in some crazy sounds by sending LFO through CV input.

• Thanks 1

I've got an Aguilar Octamizer which I bought some years ago on Denmark Street; I tired several pedals, including MXR, Boss, and one or two others, but the Octamizer stood out because the octave below had the essential character of the note being played. The downsides of the pedal (and other synth/octave pedals) are that: (a) there's a point where it loses tracking and the sound breaks up, (b) they only go so far down on a bas; if you can get anything meaningful below A (or maybe C) then you're doing well. Aguilar are rather pricey kit.

I've also got a Mooer Tender Octaver, which "may be" a clone of a Nano POG; it has pretty good tracking and an octave up as well as down. The issue with it though is that the octave notes are generated and so sound artificial. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Aguilar, though.

In addition I have a Markbass Super Synth which has an octave function; I've tried it, gone yep, and switched back to the synth section.

6 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

So that's a yes then! 

The MXR Bass Octave Deluxe gives you a Dry control knob, this let's you control how much of the original note you hear along side the Octave down.   The EBS Octabass has a control for both the Dry and Octave signals so you can tweak the levels of each.  I believe the Micro POG has 3 x level controls, Dry, Octave Up and Octave down.  

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Thanks 1

I've always loved the octave in the line 6 pedals, so I sure you could pick up a line 6 m5 second hand for that sort of money and it gives you loads of other effects as well. If you after a standalone octave though I did like the ebs one alot but it depends what sort of octave sound you want. An oc2 style octave is for me a bit more 'synthy' and wasnt my thing, so I stuck with the more 'natural' sounding ones.

• Like 1

The unfortunately don't come up often 2nd hand but if you can snag any COG gear, both the T-16 and T-47 are simply fantastic, powerful, superb tracking and very versatile. Ive owned just about every octave pedal and the T47 is my personal favourite. Ive got a lot of love for the Octamizer too, mainly for the clean filter.  

On 21/12/2019 at 08:35, stewblack said:

It isn't synthy that's for sure. Although it does have a modulation control which can produce some unusual sounds, I think it's a very clean octave. I put some sound samples up on another thread. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/302205-if-you-could-only-choose-one-octave-pedal/?do=findComment&comment=3928264

Very glad I took Stews recommendation for this.

You can get some amazing sounds with the modulation, just a shame you can't vary the speed of it, from Mellotron to Theremin (think old Dr Who theme). With just the sub-octave it's very old school, with the octave up its getting into Royal Blood territory. Polyphonic too, even copes with polyphonic harmonics.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 14:11, Defo said:

Second hand EBS Multicomp - easy ;)

It's not really an Octave  pedal though is it 😉😊

On 06/01/2020 at 00:13, perrybassbp said:

I've always loved the octave in the line 6 pedals, so I sure you could pick up a line 6 m5 second hand for that sort of money and it gives you loads of other effects as well. If you after a standalone octave though I did like the ebs one alot but it depends what sort of octave sound you want. An oc2 style octave is for me a bit more 'synthy' and wasnt my thing, so I stuck with the more 'natural' sounding ones.

It makes sense that you'd like the Line 6 M5 octave sound if you like the EBS pedal. That's what it is modelled on.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update... Since posting earlier in this thread about the markbass raw vibe octaver... I ended up buying one.. with a board shake up, I needed a smaller footprint than the ebs octabass I've been using for years... Took a chance on the promo vid on YouTube.. it's way cheaper than the mxr, that I was also considering.. now I have it, I really like it! Nice & simple, easy to find the sweet spot ....does what I need for sure... thoroughly recommend it! 

IMG_20200124_233453785~2.jpg