Why become a member? ×

Interesting green thing, home build?

lemmywinks

Seems well made with decent components (Kent Armstrong KA4 pups I think, nice Gotohs) and the paint job looks decent. A bit odd looking with the sheet metal covers and odd bridge placement, is this just a home build or something else? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-GUITAR/124014159480?hash=item1cdfd1e678:g:rNgAAOSw1MNdxB8n

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

18v preamp, home made?

s-l1600.jpg

I THINK it was from about 15-20 years ago. There was UK luthier who made a few basses and sent them to one of the (now defunct) guitar and bass magazines. Positive review ensued, but one of the basses (a red fretless 4 string if I recall correctly) was destroyed on its way back to the builder - the strings were embedded in the fretboard, that sticks out in my head. I think this is from the same maker, but I can't remember much else other than the body and headstock shape, and the fact they used Kent Armstrong pickups. I THINK they were called Evolution... and thought that BEFORE I saw the E on the headstock... Any of that ring a bell with anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pnefc42 said:

One of Nick Smith’s ebasses?

That looks like the one, metal plate at the end of the fingerboard too:
DSC07206.jpg

"And next to that is an E Bass, which I built in collaboration with Ian Hancock; we went into production with it in 2000. It’s got Kent Armstrong pickups. I must say, it’s a cool bass, and it had some pretty good reviews."

https://guitar.com/features/private-collections-nick-smith-bass-desires/

27df0556-18cd-4aab-82c9-9d958ae7e2f2_ima

Familiar green flake paint!

Apparently built by the luthier Ian Hancock, BC member @doctor_of_the_bass  (presumably Nick Smith) had something to do with him according to the recommended luthier thread here:

Listing has ended now but could have been an absolute steal at £150.

Edited by lemmywinks

• 1 month later...

This was one of the E Basses we made back in 2001 or so! Very sad story, my ex partner bought it and she sadly passed away so assume her family sold it on. It had our own green LEDs on the edge of the board and played very nicely! My latest signature bass made to my design by Martin Sims (as seen above) pays tribute in colour terms. Ian Hancock is not currently making basses but we had a great time all those years ago!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...