Why become a member? ×

21, 22 or 24 frets?

Radchenko

2 hours ago, Twigman said:

My EBMM Sterling has 22

New stringray specials have 22.

The 5 strings (apart from the classics) have always been 22.

TBH unless having 24 frets means the space between the end of the neck and the pickup is tight for slapping, it makes no difference.

I like to have 21+ though. I like having that upper E.

24 as a preference, but I do like at least 21. One of the few things that annoys me about my Sire V7 is that they stuck too closely to the J-bass recipe, and gave it a 20 fret neck. I have never understood why Leo designed them like that... what the hell is the point of a range of E to Eb..??

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

24 as a preference, but I do like at least 21. One of the few things that annoys me about my Sire V7 is that they stuck too closely to the J-bass recipe, and gave it a 20 fret neck. I have never understood why Leo designed them like that... what the hell is the point of a range of E to Eb..??

Perfect range for Sir Duke

😂

Also, don’t forget the Leo was at the start of the journey for electric bass. He probably asked double bass players what sort of range would be required, and most of them probably thought Eb would be way higher than they would use. Technique and repertoire have had a good sixty years to develop since then. 

Edited by therealting
  • Like 3

Don't most basses have 20? I find I run out occasionally looking for that high E.

My second bass had 24 frets, I have two more 24 fretters, I like having the extras.

Now you've made me count the frets on my guitars. Two with 21, three with 22, and an acoustic with 20.

Me (in my yoof) showing off at the dusty end :-)

image.png.6d0c758b00a7c2ed8d0ae4ef03a652b1.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel

You know what, after playing for 39 years I don’t know how many frets there are on the basses I play. I do actually go above the 12th fret when playing some of Duff McKagans stuff so am not stuck purely down the low end but as to how many frets, is it 21 on a Fender?

The perfect number of frets is no frets at all 😁

Despite which, I have a dolphin pro 1 with 29 and can't frankly fit my stumpy fingers into the top few.  Also a mk 2 Wal with 24 and though perfectly accessible (despite the bolt on neck ) I only use them for noodling. 

For most mortals an octave and an extra fifth is enough. 

There's also a theory that fewer frets make for a better slap tone ( if you admit to being into that )

Depends entirely on what you play.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Radchenko said:

Do you think is great having 24 frets or is unconfortable and so better 21 frets.

In terms of comfort, you shouldn’t feel any difference between 21 and 24 frets, the nut should still be as far away in exactly the same place, it’s the same scale after all. If you’re worried about a neck feeling long, check how far the bridge is in from the edge of the body and how long the upper horn is. That determines how the bass sits on you and, therefore, how far away the lower frets will be from your torso. The number of frets will make no difference in this regard.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, therealting said:

Perfect range for Sir Duke

😂

Also, don’t forget the Leo was at the start of the journey for electric bass. He probably asked double bass players what sort of range would be required, and most of them probably thought Eb would be way higher than they would use. Technique and repertoire have had a good sixty years to develop since then. 

Sir Duke Anyone who alters the key for Sir Duke without warning the bassist deserves flogging in the street! 

I'm playing it in C at the moment. Years of muscle memory gone to waste, and it just doesn't sound right!

Bastards! :D 

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Sir Duke Anyone who alters the key for Sir Duke without warning the bassist deserves flogging in the street!

Flogging In The a Street - is that the Martha Reeves and the Vandellas version, or the David Bowie and Mick Jagger version?

• Haha 1