Why become a member? ×

Melvin Dunlap with Bill Withers

Old Horse Murphy

I've been a fan of Bill Withers and his band for years and recently started listening to his Live at Carnegie Hall Concert again (and again and again....)

Melvin Dunlap is sublime all the way through as always and his partnering with James Gadson has to be right up there with the very best.

My current favourite track is this one and the groove is almost trance-like. To me THIS is Bass playing: 

I wouldn't dare to count how many times I've listened to that album.  There is live UK TV concert footage knocking around of Bill playing (I think where the still in your video is from) with Melvyn sitting looking so cool with his long black leather jacket, playing his early P-bass with his thumb.

Most of his band at the time is missing (James Gadson included) but it is worth a watch anyway. 

• Like 1

It looks like I was right after all.  This is the BBC concert with only Melvin from his usual band (he does allude to people being missing).  You can see Melvin guiding the band at some points. The leather jacket is there though! Nothing against Benorce, butI do like some of the licks and fills this guitarist plays on this.

Edited by Huge Hands
Added extra