Why become a member? ×

What do you consider an "acceptable" weight?

Newfoundfreedom

On 24/12/2019 at 22:34, 4000 said:

I know he didn’t. I chatted to him once. But odd, and rather short-sighted, not to be aware that it could be an issue for some of his potential customers. Still, my experience is generally that nobody takes it seriously until it happens to them, sadly. In many cases, it’s a life changer. 

Mahogany isn’t generally considered to be heavy, on average. Typically lighter than maple, rosewood etc. Yes, Les Pauls can be heavy, but they have a pretty thick body. A solid maple or rosewood LP would be likely to be a fair bit heavier. 

he did make the point that the weight of mahogany varies quite a bit depending on the density of the individual piece of wood.   Something I then found out when I got a couple of Les Pauls with identical chambering, and one is noticeably much heavier

I'm not aware that it was something he promoted at the time,  so his grumble was not just that "that's what Wals weigh" but also that if the reviewer had asked for a lighter model, he could probably have found one (although, probably "lighter" rather than "light")

On 26/12/2019 at 23:54, chris_b said:

. . . . and they would have been very happy to make you one. I bet it would have sounded excellent.

Well all the Pros were ash. And they’re my preference. 

FWIW, my Custom wasn’t that heavy, unlike many. Probably around 9lbs, maybe a tad over. Noticeably lighter than my Pro at any rate.

I've genuinely never noticed the weight of an instrument I've played - is it just me? I've owned maybe 10 basses in my lifetime and honestly couldn't tell you which was lighter than the others. I guess I'm lucky not to have suffered from back or shoulder issues for which weight would definitely become a consideration.

21 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I've genuinely never noticed the weight of an instrument I've played - is it just me?

No, I'm the same as you. First job on leaving school involved cement bags (112lbs) and plenty of stairs 🙂

Basses in the 10lb to 12lb range suit me fine. No surprise there as my tool belt weighs more👍

5 hours ago, acidbass said:

I've genuinely never noticed the weight of an instrument I've played - is it just me? I've owned maybe 10 basses in my lifetime and honestly couldn't tell you which was lighter than the others. I guess I'm lucky not to have suffered from back or shoulder issues for which weight would definitely become a consideration.

I had a late 70s Fender in wine red and it weighed about twice what a normal bass should.

Perhaps someone should develop a ‘Bass BMI’, giving is all a convenient shorthand for whether a bass is heat or not.

7 hours ago, acidbass said:

I guess I'm lucky not to have suffered from back or shoulder issues for which weight would definitely become a consideration.

Keep safe, because when it comes there is no turning back the clock. Back trouble is forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Keep safe, because when it comes there is no turning back the clock. Back trouble is forever.

Amen to that.

One crushed disc. One prolapse disc. One house repossession, and one destroyed life, due to not being able to work or function for over 2 years. 

Back injuries are no joke. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

No, I'm the same as you. First job on leaving school involved cement bags (112lbs) and plenty of stairs 🙂

Basses in the 10lb to 12lb range suit me fine. No surprise there as my tool belt weighs more👍

Never bothered me either, until my back went. I used to be a builders labourer and was given all the heavy jobs because I was much stronger than anyone else (I spent much of my life in the gym, lifting). Then I got a back injury in Aikido, which was them aggravated in the gym, and a bunch of discs went in rapid succession. I was mid-thirties at the time. It changed my life and ruined both my physical and mental health. It also massively affected my playing as it damaged the nerves in my right arm.

There’s always time for it to go south. 

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Never bothered me either, until my back went. I used to be a builders labourer and was given all the heavy jobs because I was much stronger than anyone else (I spent much of my life in the gym, lifting). Then I got a back injury in Aikido, which was them aggravated in the gym, and a bunch of discs went in rapid succession. I was mid-thirties at the time. It changed my life and ruined both my physical and mental health. It also massively affected my playing as it damaged the nerves in my right arm.

There’s always time for it to go south. 

Yup. I was the same. 6 feet of pure man meat 😂

Never worried about my back, or about my health in general, until it went!

I was as fit as a latt, until I wasn't. 

Don't think it can't happen to you. It can, and it will! 

48 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Then I got a back injury in Aikido, which was them aggravated in the gym, and a bunch of discs went in rapid succession. I was mid-thirties at the time.

Unlucky. I'm over 50 and still throw 90 lb soundblock sheets on walls and ceilings like it was 30 odd year ago. Not as strong as in my 30's but more than hold my own with the younger lads.

2 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Unlucky. I'm over 50 and still throw 90 lb soundblock sheets on walls and ceilings like it was 30 odd year ago. Not as strong as in my 30's but more than hold my own with the younger lads.

Don't take it for granted mate. 

Seriously!

I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy the sh!t I went through. 

You think you're indestructible.

Until you're not. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Lifting is more about technique than strength, if you know how to lift safely, you are at relatively low risk.

I'm not convinced.

I spent the first day of every new contract (anything from weekly to monthly) in health and safety briefings, as well as being a pretty experienced weight lifter / body builder in my younger days. 

The best technique in the world can't compensate for parts wearing out. Unfortunately we're not machines (despite what we may think) To think it can't happen to you because you're being "careful" is just arrogance. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Lifting is more about technique than strength, if you know how to lift safely, you are at relatively low risk.

I always knew how to lift and always used strict technique. That wasn’t the problem. As my friend’s wife’s surgeon said, some people just have s**t spines. 

I also have hypermobile joints, and as I later discovered, hypermobile joints and heavy lifting don’t really see eye to eye. 

Oh, and scoliosis since birth, which I hadn’t known about. And, in addition to the prolapsed discs, I have spinal stenosis. 

Edited by 4000
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This is a little patronising, tbh.  I reckon that, as a general rule, people with dodgy backs don't aggravate them when lifting heavy weights for this very reason.  Certainly in my case it is those silly little movements that you don't prepare for that catch you out, usually involving a slight twisting motion.  Of course it isn't the same for everyone as each back injury is different

Off the top of my head I have made my back go into spasm and caused myself a lot of pain and immobility by doing the following:

cutting my toe nails (I now have a chiropodist!)

putting on socks

tying shoe laces (now wear mainly slip-on)

drying where the sun doesn't shine with a towel

extending a tape measure

filling a kettle with water

mis-judging a dip in the pavement

getting up from sitting in a low sofa

I'm 62.  I've gone to the gym all my life - started lifting weights when I played rugby at school and carried on.  Never had a back injury through lifting weights or moving anything heavy up until the 'extending a tape measure' incident 17 years ago which came totally out of the blue.  I used to be as strong as an ox but now just look like one :) I still go to the gym regularly but now it is all about core strength and flexibility.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I'm 62.  I've gone to the gym all my life - started lifting weights when I played rugby at school and carried on.  Never had a back injury through lifting weights or moving anything heavy up until the 'extending a tape measure' incident 17 years ago which came totally out of the blue. 

I was once taking the back seats out of a PT Cruiser so we could load it with thing to take to sell, as I often did and bounced the chair off my knee. I noticed it, but it didn't hurt. However, I had to have my knee replaced in the end.

Luckily, I don't have any back issues, but the heaviest bass I have is just under 9lbs, and now I wouldn't consider anything heavier. My 7.5lb Dingwall is fantastic for a long gig: the difference, even between 7.5 and 9lbs, is huge.

• Like 3

Well having asked the initial question, I would agree with what a lot of the others on here have said. My main two players are around 9lbs, and I wouldn't want to play anything much heavier than that for any length of time. I could just about manage a 90 minute to two hour set with those, but I can certainly feel it afterwards. 

Having said that, as I stated earlier, for me it's not so much a weight, as a position issue. So I don't know if playing a lighter, or indeed heavier bass would make a massive difference. I shall have to continue to experiment.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep buying basses, purely in the interest of scientific research. 😉

• Haha 1

I build my own - Warmoth wood, Hipshot hardware, etc. My heaviest (a 5 string) is a bit under 8.5 pounds. Heaviest 4 string I have is about 7.8 pounds. Currently, I'm building another 5 string that will come in (I've weighed all the parts) about 7.2 pounds ( a few grams of uncertainty due to the weight of the finish).  Lightest I have is 6.6 ( a 4 stringer) - that one I can play for a very long time.

16 hours ago, Paul S said:

This is a little patronising, tbh.  I reckon that, as a general rule, people with dodgy backs don't aggravate them when lifting heavy weights for this very reason.  Certainly in my case it is those silly little movements that you don't prepare for that catch you out, usually involving a slight twisting motion.  Of course it isn't the same for everyone as each back injury is different

Off the top of my head I have made my back go into spasm and caused myself a lot of pain and immobility by doing the following:

cutting my toe nails (I now have a chiropodist!)

putting on socks

tying shoe laces (now wear mainly slip-on)

drying where the sun doesn't shine with a towel

extending a tape measure

filling a kettle with water

mis-judging a dip in the pavement

getting up from sitting in a low sofa

I'm 62.  I've gone to the gym all my life - started lifting weights when I played rugby at school and carried on.  Never had a back injury through lifting weights or moving anything heavy up until the 'extending a tape measure' incident 17 years ago which came totally out of the blue.  I used to be as strong as an ox but now just look like one :) I still go to the gym regularly but now it is all about core strength and flexibility.

My mate’s wife ruptured three discs picking up her dropped purse. Which probably explains her surgeons comment. 

On 30/12/2019 at 22:23, Newfoundfreedom said:

Don't take it for granted mate. 

Seriously!

I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy the sh!t I went through. 

You think you're indestructible.

Until you're not. 

This ^^^^^

Age, posture, lifting technique etc all play a part.........but, ask any sufferer of chronic back pain and they will give it to you straight as it is........^^^^^

• Like 1