Why become a member? ×

What do you consider an "acceptable" weight?

Newfoundfreedom

Theoretically the lighter the instrument the better. Especially if, like me, you suffer from a dodgy back. But I've always liked my basses to feel "substantial".

I've recently been looking into buying my first 5 stringer, and a lot of reviews comment on how heavy it is. 

Which got me curious about the weight of my current basses. So I weighed my main two today, and within a few ounces they both came in at around 9lbs. Is this considered particularly heavy? I must admit, they don't seem that way to me, even with my glass back. 

The 5er I'm considering comes in at around 10lbs. Is this particularly heavy for a 5er? Am I really going to notice the difference between a 9lb and a 10lb bass? 

Personally I don't notice much difference in weight beteen a 9 and 10lb bass. I do notice a big difference between 10 and 11lb. Once they get towards 11 I find they start to impact on my movement on stage and my overall enjoyment.

Having a well balanced bass is also important. It isn't all about weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Theoretically the lighter the instrument the better. Especially if, like me, you suffer from a dodgy back. But I've always liked my basses to feel "substantial".

I've recently been looking into buying my first 5 stringer, and a lot of reviews comment on how heavy it is. 

Which got me curious about the weight of my current basses. So I weighed my main two today, and within a few ounces they both came in at around 9lbs. Is this considered particularly heavy? I must admit, they don't seem that way to me, even with my glass back. 

The 5er I'm considering comes in at around 10lbs. Is this particularly heavy for a 5er? Am I really going to notice the difference between a 9lb and a 10lb bass? 

Depends how bad your back is. I had to sell my custom Alembic and Wal Pro which both came in around 10lbs. I simply couldn’t play them standing up, my legs went numb. I can do 9lbs though, but that’s my limit. Lighter the better for me, I have no interest in substantial for substantial’s sake.

• Like 2

My current go to Jazz bass weights 9lb 5oz (4.3kg). Most days I can get through a 2 set gig with minimal problems, but did a couple of 3 set gigs last month which killed my back by the time we got to the last number.

2020 looks like being my year for buying an even lighter bass.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Depends how bad your back is. I had to sell my custom Alembic and Wal Pro which both came in around 10lbs. I simply couldn’t play them standing up, my legs went numb. I can do 9lbs though, but that’s my limit. Lighter the better for me, I have no interest in substantial for substantial’s sake.

For me, it's more of a "position" thing. Even playing a light bass would give me back ache. The worst I've ever put my back out was leaning forward to clock in at work (seriously) 😂.

I'm not playing festivals or 2 hour sets, so within reason, I'm hoping it's not going to make a massive difference. 

• Like 1

Balance trumps weight for me in the playability stakes... Light AND balanced is the holy grail.

My basses are bloody heavy but my back issues are less of the bass playing nature and more of the - sitting on my fat a*se at work in front of a computer for ten hours a day - nature.

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wide straps, balance etc all help but - for me - weight is the ultimate issue as it is for a lot of folks with various back issues.  Again -  for me - 9lbs is the absolute limit but I still pay for it next day.  8lbs is my aim, less is even better.  It is one reason for loving my new Gibson Les Paul Jnr DC, it is only around 7.5lbs.  My new Frankenstein 'Honcore' is under 7lbs.

Despite the extra wood in the neck and hardware it is perfectly possible to get light weight 5ers.  The choice is rather narrow, though.  I have a Maruszczyk Jake 5 that weighs 8lbs.  I have a modded Sterling 5 that is less, maybe 7.5, but that is down to one pup with passive electrics so a lot of metal has gone.  Worth a look at headless/bodiless basses, too - I had a Hohner BV that was also lightweight, as was a Yamaha BX-5. 

Weight is the deal breaker for me when looking at buying a bass. Since an accident left me with a shoulder with lots of metal in, I've always had to use the lightest bass that's practical, especially as a lot of my gigs involve long sets. I have three Fender Precision Lytes, all around the 7lbs mark. I can gig them without worrying about discomfort and pain, and don't see me changing to anything else soon really unless a nice Maruszczyk comes up around the same weight. My Danelectro Longhorn is probably 6lbs tops, plays and sounds great although unfortunately it's not that suitable for a lot of my gigs. Agree with Paul S above - some headless basses like the Hohner stuff are very manageable weight wise too, and come in 4 and 5 string versions.

11 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

To answer your original question “What do you consider an "acceptable" weight?"...

Pretty much any of the instruments that I currently have up for sale in the marketplace forum :i-m_so_happy:

feel free to look and purchase at your leisure.

I also find that helium balloons attached to the strap locks at each end of the bass guitars body helps alleviate some of the instruments weight... Also gives better stage presence and can be gifted to audience members after the show with the purchase of a t-shirt and CD! ;)

Alternatively, you can take it to the next level of weightlessness and have an instrument made entirely from balloons...

Here's what I currently perform with, as modelled by the lovely Clarissa...

Screenshot_20191219-101409.png

Sightly more strings than I'm used to but the reduced weight really makes up for this...

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
Balloons!!
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, pete.young said:

My SGC Nanyo 5-string weighs 8.4 lbs, and that includes an ebony fingerboard. They do come up second hand occasionally. The 4-strings are around 7.5 bs.

The 5 strings can be about the same weight. I've 2 and the are both around 7.75lb. Heaviest 5er I have is an ACG at 8.25lb. 

I had a nice Squires VM P Bass 5 string that was 8.7lb and that was great. I wouldn't want anything heavier due to a back problem.

Edited by BassBunny

I've got a bit of a knackered left shoulder and back, so 4kg or under for me. 

I had a 4.3kg jazz bass and used to end up with a bad hip at the end of gigs from trying to adjust my upper body to compensate. 

My current basses are 3.5kg, 3.8kg  and 3.9kg and nicely balanced so I'm a happy bunny. 

9 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I've got a bit of a knackered left shoulder and back, so 4kg or under for me. 

I had a 4.3kg jazz bass and used to end up with a bad hip at the end of gigs from trying to adjust my upper body to compensate. 

My current basses are 3.5kg, 3.8kg  and 3.9kg and nicely balanced so I'm a happy bunny. 

What have you got?