Why become a member? ×

String spacing, basic question

Newfoundfreedom

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

But for many people, assuming the spacing down the neck isn’t ridiculous one way or the other, it’s the spacing at the plucking/picking end that’s most important(of course there will be exceptions to this). And the fact that you may not pluck/pick right by the saddle doesn't mean that you can’t get a good idea whether a 19mm spacing or a 16.5mm spacing at the bridge end is better for you. No, you may not be plucking right by the saddle, but you’ll tend to be plucking in the same areas regardless of bass, so it simply extrapolates from the saddle-spacing figure you do have.

Assuming that some people who like wide spacing at the bridge will find an extreme taper problematic doesn’t make sense either, as this basically describes a Jazz, and how popular are they? Your left hand is not moving in the same way or through the same planes as your right hand, so potentially different rules apply. 

I can tell you that a narrow spacing at the bridge is preferable for me because I know how I play. The spacing at the nut end is far less important, although I tend to prefer a relatively parallel spacing, FWIW. 

You say that but have you actually measured all your basses?

I hadn't really paid much attention to string spacing (I play all sorts of stringed instruments with different types and numbers of strings, spacings and lengths so I suppose I find it easy to adapt - or more likely I'm equally useless on all of them), until I had my Sei Bass made and Martin needed to know these things. Not having considered it before I went home and measured up all the basses I had and discovered that the sting spacing at the bridge varied from just under 16mm to 19mm (and that was just on my 5-string basses). The spacing at the nut was just as varied and there was no correlation between spacing at the bridge and at the nut - wide spacing at the bridge did not automatically lead to wide spacing at the nut. In the face of all this conflicting information I just went with the same spacing as on my Gus Basses because they were the ones I was mostly playing at the time and it felt to me just as good as any of the other bases I would use from time to time.

I have got a bit more concerned about string spacing since I started playing Bass VIs but that is more about finding an acceptable compromise between having enough space between the strings and at the same time not have a ridiculously wide neck. Here I've found that the string spacing at the nut is the more critical measurement. IME most Bass VIs have necks that are narrow even by guitar standards. My Squier Bass VI has a narrower neck than any of my 6 string guitars.

Edited by BigRedX

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You say that but have you actually measured all your basses?

I hadn't really paid much attention to string spacing (I play all sorts of stringed instruments with different types and numbers of strings, spacings and lengths so I suppose I find it easy to adapt - or more likely I'm equally useless on all of them), until I had my Sei Bass made and Martin needed to know these things. Not having considered it before I went home and measured up all the basses I had and discovered that the sting spacing at the bridge varied from just under 16mm to 19mm (and that was just on my 5-string basses). The spacing at the nut was just as varied and there was no correlation between spacing at the bridge and at the nut - wide spacing at the bridge did not automatically lead to wide spacing at the nut. In the face of all this conflicting information I just went with the same spacing as on my Gus Basses because they were the ones I was mostly playing at the time and it felt to me just as good as any of the other bases I would use from time to time.

I have got a bit more concerned about string spacing since I started playing Bass VIs but that is more about finding an acceptable compromise between having enough space between the strings and at the same time not have a ridiculously wide neck. Here I've found that the string spacing at the nut is the more critical measurement. IME most Bass VIs have necks that are narrow even by guitar standards. My Squier Bass VI has a narrower neck than any of my 6 string guitars.

Well I know exactly what the spacing on my current 3 basses is because I cut the saddles. 😉 2 at 16.5mm, one at 17mm because the bridge tolerances are ever so slightly different; 16.5 means the G chokes on part of the bridge. 2 x 1972 Rics, and one luthier-built copy that was built around the measurements from my main one. 

Thing is, I’ve owned something like 60 basses. I’ve played thousands. But there are very few I find truly comfortable and easy to play, so much so that from being someone who for many years would play every bass I clapped eyes on, I hardly ever bother now because I know most won’t suit, simply by a glance. Seriously, I can tell you whether it’s likely to be comfortable just by looking at it (I would’ve thought many people could say the same, but maybe I’m wrong). All of the ones I find comfortable have relatively narrow spacing and relatively parallel necks.

It’s interesting that you bring up Sei because when I had my first built, a six, it was only the second six I’d played and I went with 16.5mm spacing because it was the narrowest option Martin suggested and was closest to my Rics. When I got my second, a 4, I based it on an early Warwick Dolphin I was playing at the time. Unfortunately I was playing that mainly fingerstyle as it didn’t suit my pick playing (spacing was too wide) and sold it before I finally got the Sei. When I got the Sei I’d already reverted back to my usual pick playing and it felt totally, totally wrong. I was never happy playing it and could never execute runs properly with my right hand, so in spite of the fact that it was a stunning bass, it didn’t last long. I did still have it when I got my custom Alembic, which had a much more narrow spacing (as the majority of Alembics have) that suited much better. The Alembic was night and day more comfortable to play and I could play faster and execute runs far more cleanly. 

For clarification, I play very little fingerstyle and play mainly with a pick in a style that requires as little movement as possible; think shred guitarist. I play sometimes from the wrist, but mainly actually just swivelling my picking fingers and thumb. So the right hand movement is generally very small, and that’s why a relatively narrow spacing suits. I could go narrower, but I learned to play on a certain make of bass with a very particular feel, and over time have narrowed down the specifics that suit best. And there aren’t really many (any?) 4 string basses that go narrower without going custom. Left hand isn’t as important because I can stretch out my fingers if necessary, although again, I prefer a relatively narrow spacing. 

Another thing that I’m very sensitive to is neck radius. I don't like a flat radius at all. Rather interestingly, I once thought (probably because I’d read it somewhere) that my preferred basses had a 12” radius, but whenever I played a bass with a 12” radius it didn’t feel as comfortable as my main basses. The higher the figure got, the more uncomfortable it felt. It was only relatively recently, when measuring for my “copy”, that I realised the radius on my basses was actually 7.25”. I had the copy built the same and it’s great. If I was ordering another custom everything would be based on the measurements of my main bass, and when I finally get another Sei, that’s what I’ll do. Obviously I can play most basses ok, but it’s not about whether you can get by, it’s about what actually suits best and is most comfortable.  

If you can’t tell by feel - or even by eye - what suits in terms of spacing, particularly right hand spacing, then I’d be inclined to think something about your technique means you’re not very sensitive to such things. 

• 4 months later...
On 19/12/2019 at 10:01, CamdenRob said:

Some folks don’t even notice but it’s a big deal for me. I can’t cope with closer than 18mm at the bridge.

Once again it is proven that I have no idea what I’m talking about...

I have discovered this morning (after 5 years) that my Wals are 17mm at the bridge... My Fodera is 19mm... and I can’t tell the difference.

In future, it would be safer to assume anything I post is nonsense 😐

• Haha 1

I have an Ibanez K5 and I struggle with the tight string spacing. I think Ibanez guitars in general have a slim neck. My sausage fingers find it hard to get used to it.

On 18/12/2019 at 22:50, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks.

The string spacing on the bass I'm considering is 16.5'm. I'll have to measure my go to bass tomorrow and see how it compares. Although I play a bit of acoustic guitar as well, so hopefully adapting to a new spacing won't be too much of an issue. 

My first outing from 4 strings i went the full hog, missed out 5ers and bought a cheap ESP Ltd 6 stringer with 16.5mm spacing measured at bridge. No idea what the nut spacing was but i think it was narrower than my Jazz or Thumb bass which both have narrow nuts compared to P basses in general. All my other basses were circa 18mm at that time. I know that doesn't sound much but i found i was missing the strings with my plucking hand. I did eventually get used to it but when i had my Overwater 6 string built i requested 18mm spacing and it made a difference in my playing.  My left hand managed to adapt far quicker at changes in string spacing.

My 5 stringers since that first 6er have generally been around the 18-19mm. I found a larger spacing was easier to get used to but then you have the issue with the neck being slightly wider.

I'd measure what you have and go for a compromise. If you have 18-19mm at bridge and don't want a wide neck then maybe stick with something 18mm or less. If, like me,  neck width doesn't bother you as much then stick to what you are currently used to.

No matter what you buy you stick at it and you'll get used to it.

One other point i should mention that when i had the ESP with 16.5mm spacing i had no issues changing back to my 4 string basses. It was always when i went back to the smaller spacing for some reason.

Hope this helps

Dave

I used to switch from a Yam 5 to a SR5 at gigs (19mm to 16.5mm) and it used to drive me mad. Played in isolation I’m fine, if I pick up my 4 string P it’ll take me a few minutes to adjust. I have a pair of Ibanez SR 5 strings (16.5mm) which I use for gigs and have no issue with them. IME I like my gigging basses to feel and sound very similar.