Why become a member? ×

Peavey bargain from Thomann

machinehead

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The 100W PJB Briefcase amp says power consumption 160W on the back... it's not simple!

That's much more like it! No amp is going to be even close to 100% effecient in converting power consumed to power output. 

I ordered one last weekend after my little mark iii died. After chatting with Bass Bunny it made sense to spend less than a repair to get a brand new head with 3 year warranty. 

Arrived on Thursday. Not had a chance to play yet, waiting for the mrs and kids to be out. I have turned it on and agree the fan is really loud. It's a shame there's isn't a thermostat built in. Might be worth swapping the fan for a quieter one. 

Hopefully I'll get hooked up today to have a play then can decide if it's staying or not. 

I dont really understand the fan being loud (which to be fair it is) being an issue. 

At gig and practice levels you'll not hear it at all and theres a headphone socket for practicing at home.

Only worry for me is a potentially noisy DI which i will have to investigate.

Mine arrived Thursday.

Gave it a run at rehearsal last night. Very impressed. Simple to use and while the EQ is very straight forward it gives some decent tonal shaping. I also couldn’t get a bad tone out of it. Just good, solid bass.

The included bag is rubbish, cheap feeling/looking and offers no protection but could kind of serve a function, the tuner is a bit crap too (though OKish as a backup) and yes, the fan is a little on the loud side, but it won’t cause any issues for what I’ll use the amp for.

All in all on first impressions I’m very happy indeed for the price paid.

• Like 1

Received mine on Friday. First impressions were similar to everyone else. Feels solid, well built and the carry bag is a bit of a joke.

Got to use it last night. On first switch-on, the fan is a bit loud, but I've had other amps that are equally loud or louder. I practice with a Bass Trainer, so that doesn't bother me a bit.  Plugged in, everything flat, including the bass and the core sound is great. It's Full, Fat and Loud. Only needed a bit of a tweak, (Bass DOWN a tad. That's a first), and we were there. Sounded great during the gig and didn't get lost in the mix during the gig. Kept pace with the guitarist turning up 4 times, (as they always do) and I didn't touch a thing. Tons in reserve as the bass volume was about half and the same for Gain and Volume. It is a seriously loud piece of kit. Like @Phil Starr I actually prefer the tone to my aged MarkBass SA450 so won't be spending the dosh to get it repaired as I seem to have found a replacement. The Tuner is a nice touch and it appears to be accurate when compared to my TC Polytune.

All in all a happy chappy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1