Why become a member? ×

Strap Locks, Thoughts?

Frank Blank

As a usually seated player I am a recent convert to a strap which, I have to admit, has made a shed load of positive difference. Having said that I’m already noticing the holes that secure the s strap to the bass are very gradually becoming wider and looser. What are your thoughts on strap locks? Ant favourite brands? Any problems? I’m a little weary of putting them on the ACG, I’d never undertake anything like that, obviously it would go to a luthier.

Very good point to use a luthier to make the connection secure. One loose screw and your dear bass is screwed.

My preference is Dunlop as Schaller tends to loose at the strap end. And beware that the knob may drop. If your choice is Schaller, it is OK if you use a bit of thread lock.

Dunlop on the other hand relies on Seger type of attachment. They may rattle, so some plastic or leather can be put under the strap side parts. I double check them every time before starting to play. It is important that they are pushed to the bottom of the strap pin (whichever the part is: there are two or three options).

• Like 1

I automatically put strap locks on all my basses for years because I thought it was the done thing. I bought a comfort strapp years ago and never bothered with strap locks ever again. Never had a hole widen or a bass fall to the ground, no issues. 

Washers work great though way cheaper than buying Schaller or Dunlop etc.

Am I missing something with regards to installing strap locks, why would you need a luthier to put a screw in an existing hole in your bass?

2 hours ago, itu said:

Very good point to use a luthier to make the connection secure. One loose screw and your dear bass is screwed.

I’m quite tempted to take it back up to @skelf a) for a check up b) to see the workshop where it was built and c) to see friends. I could bump seeing friends down to d) (you know, Bass first innit) and slip installing strap locks in at c).

On 18/12/2019 at 23:20, NJE said:

Am I missing something with regards to installing strap locks, why would you need a luthier to put a screw in an existing hole in your bass?

Oh that’s because I’m one of those people who would start turning the screw and the neck would fall off, then as I tried to catch the neck before it clattered to the floor I’d stab myself in the eye with said screwdriver, miss catching the neck as the strings pinged off one by one trapping the cat in a ball of sharp strings, then the toilet pedestal would crack and flood the loo. Sirens would be heard approaching the house heralding the arrival of armed police prior to my unexpected shooting, a tragic case of mistaken identity, chance in a million.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, skelf said:

The Harlot already has straplocks fitted. On your bass they are Schaller which is what I was using at the time. Still use them but mainly Dunlop’s now. 

Ha ha, Christ on his many splendid bike, if I had a brain I’d be dangerous! Thanks Alan. Why the change to Dunlop?

I buy rubber washers on eBay that are made as strap locks, which have a bigger hole in that the beer bottle washers.  I find the beer bottle washers a bit tight and inevitably make my fingers and thumbs really sore trying to stretch them over the button head.

Like this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, itu said:

My preference is Dunlop as Schaller tends to loose at the strap end.

The fix for this is not to bother attaching the straplock to the strap. Just put the strap on the pin as normal, and then fit the straplock over the top.

12 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Grolsch bottle top seals. Better than anything on the market. 

(Plus you get a free beer with every one. 😉)

Grolsch has been withdrawn in the UK and many supermarkets have already run out of stock, so they're becoming harder to obtain. I guess a trip to Bulgaria to stock up might be an option.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I use Schaller locks or Grolsch washers - there's not a lot between them, except the price. Both are fab.

Beware of cheap straplocks off Amazon - I tried some a while back with nearly catastrophic results! :(

They basically exploded :/ 

Edited by Teebs
Also the Fender washers are good.
  • Like 1

Been using the Schaller strap locks for years with no problems. Tried the Dunlop locks many years ago, but found them to be a real faff to install (especially the circlips), and a similar faff to use.

Never tried the rubber washer, mainly because all the guitars I use with a strap are fitted with Schallers.

Though saying that, I'm dubious of the new Schaller S Locks, mainly because of the fact that the strap button is now combined with the screw, instead of the old style separate strap button & screw. What if you need a longer screw? What if the existing strap button screw is bigger than the S Lock's? What if the S Lock screw is bigger than the existing screw & needs the hole to be enlarged?

Ive 6 basses and each has a permenant strap attached, 4 with Schallers and 2 with Fenders which you squeeze to attach and remove and I find to be the most solid.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Strap-Locks-Chrome/F36?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoo_mjcHB5gIVVeDtCh2R0g2nEAQYAiABEgJ4pfD_BwE

Edited by Paddy515
added info

1 minute ago, Paddy515 said:

Ive 6 basses and each has a permenant strap attached, 4 with Schallers and 2 with Fenders which you squeeze to attach and remove and I find to be the most solid.

Plus one for the Fenders.

I've got them on all my basses and guitars. Rock solid and an easy on/off action