Why become a member? ×

Future impact v3 any tips for good tracking?

mingsta

I've just received my FI and it's exceeded my expectations for delivering those 80s pop synth bass sounds that I didn't think I'd ever achieve with a bass fx pedal. Thanks Mr Q for uploading all those patches to the site. 

The only fly in the ointment is that I've not been able to get great tracking, a fair bit of glitching and missed notes. I need to adapt my style a bit and practice how get the best out of it, but I'd like to think that I've got a pretty clean technique to start with. 

Has anyone got any tops about any setting to make? I've heard you need to get the input vol right so it's green on the whole and only goes red for really hard notes. I've also read from the manual to go for higher numbers on the two global note on and off levels, but it'd be good to hear ppls own experiences on what has worked best. 

Does the C4 track better? Hopefully I'll get to a happy place with the FI, but if not I might give it a shot! 

• Thanks 1

I have found most pedals track better if a few criteria are met in the bass.  The FI and SB1 both track single pickup basses with limited amounts of high frequencies and lots of mids better than other basses.  So that vintage P bass or stingray are just the ticket.  That Status Empathy with lots of fret noise probably won't be.

• 2 weeks later...

Same feelings about the tracking. 

I think there's no way to fix it overall, what I've noticed  that the tracking on some presets is better than on others.

I had C4 and tracking is way better. However I prefer sound of FI. Some sounds could come quite close though. But you really need to use an app with C4, which for me is a show stopper. 

Also I've noticed that synthy sounds from C4 are more easily lost in the mix, compared to FI. 

For now I'm keeping my FI, with the idea that I will use it when I don't have to jump between the string too much, to keep tracking well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find that doing the "p-bass bit of foam under the strings at the bridge" trick can help with this sometimes. Not always practical live (putting the foam in and taking it out) , although if you mess around a bit with thicknesses of foam it is possible to find a happy medium that you can leave in all the time.

Also, if anyone has had issues with double triggering which I did get with some basses and not others, I found this excerpt from the manual very helpful

NOTE ON LEVEL (global): Sets the volume threshold of the input signal above which the synth begins sounding. If low-volume notes do not trigger the synth then decrease the value. If multiple triggering occurs then increase the value.

Also this,

NOTE OFF LEVEL (global): Sets the volume threshold of the input signal below which the synth stops sounding. A lower value allows you to sustain notes longer. A higher value allows better articulation of staccato notes.

It's a shame that tracking still appears to be a bit of a sticking point.  It's weird, I only had a brief time with the FI but my experiences was it didn't track as well as the DI, or at least the glitches were less musical, so to speak.  I thought the latest version improved tracking, but perhaps its still not quite there?  The C4 by comparison I found to be the best I've experienced with such a pedal.

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

It's a shame that tracking still appears to be a bit of a sticking point.  It's weird, I only had a brief time with the FI but my experiences was it didn't track as well as the DI, or at least the glitches were less musical, so to speak.  I thought the latest version improved tracking, but perhaps its still not quite there?  The C4 by comparison I found to be the best I've experienced with such a pedal.

Don’t think it’s a sticking point, in the same way that hitting two keys on a monosynth would cause grief, having two notes ringing on the bass when using the FI will give squiffy results. Clean playing and adequate muting between notes is mainly what’s needed.

Pitch tracking on the filter makes tracking a bit less swift. This is the case on FI and C4. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Don’t think it’s a sticking point, in the same way that hitting two keys on a monosynth would cause grief, having two notes ringing on the bass when using the FI will give squiffy results. Clean playing and adequate muting between notes is mainly what’s needed.

Pitch tracking on the filter makes tracking a bit less swift. This is the case on FI and C4. 

I’m more just saying the C4 in comparison to the FI (Not the latest version) tracks notably better, in my experience.  Being an old DI user I am more than aware of the limitation of a mono synth 🙂

33 minutes ago, Kev said:

I’m more just saying the C4 in comparison to the FI (Not the latest version) tracks notably better, in my experience.  Being an old DI user I am more than aware of the limitation of a mono synth 🙂

What firmware version of the FI are you referring to? The v3.0 update improved the tracking noticeably. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

18 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

What firmware version of the FI are you referring to? The v3.0 update improved the tracking noticeably. 

Not V3.0 as I say, an earlier one.  I have heard tracking has been improved, but it appears from this thread people are still finding the C4 better at it?

16 minutes ago, Kev said:

Not V3.0 as I say, an earlier one.  I have heard tracking has been improved, but it appears from this thread people are still finding the C4 better at it?

Can you get your hands on one loaded with v3? I think you’ll like it. It’s a close call. For me the FI beats the C4 because it can have an organ-gate amp envelope shape (basically full on, constant volume, to off) which starts when a note is played and stops either when the note is stopped or when the bass’s volume drops below a certain level. It will sustain for ages too. The C4 by contrast either tracks the volume of the input signal or, when an oscillator’s envelope is set to “off”, or is constantly on, changing pitch when a new note is played, but continuing to sound even when the bass’s note is muted.